IGNORED

What Have You Read Lately That Has Stuck with You?

OasisAngel

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I am an avid reader and it is part of my calling as a pastoral counselor to be well-read. I have been reading a book by Michael J. Wilkins called In His Image. This is a quote from this book that clearly states what I so often have to deal with in my counseling, "We cannot be set free from the lies the world tells us until we know the truth from God."  What about you? Have you read anything lately that has stuck with you? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,036
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Killing the Deep State >> Jerome Corsi.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Deep Work by Cal Newport changed my perspective in how time is spent on for work and other projects.  It's one of few books I'll likely read through completely again soon.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

The following quote by Thomas a' Kempis, "What is more at rest than a heart focused solely on You, and what is more free than the person who desires nothing on earth? We should rise above all creatures, therefore, and perfectly forsake ourselves and remain in an intense joy of mind as we see that among all creatures there is nothing like You, the Creator of all things."

I've also gotten encouragement from the first Chapter of Rick Joyner's The Torch and The Sword lately, in that it points out how the manifest Presence of God is something we should strife to give ourselves to continually, for it is through this that His power and Presence is manifest in our lives and ministries.  I need to finish that entire work, so thanks for reminding me.

Blessings in Christ.

Edited by Hidden In Him

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

My book at the moment is an old one, "William Booth" by David Bennett.  Those saints of old really humble me.

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  02/14/1944

Greetings RevJanine,

16 hours ago, RevJanine said:

What about you? Have you read anything lately that has stuck with you? 

I am reading two books at the moment and both have been of interest and one specifically has been very edifying. But if this thread also includes the Bible itself, I have been considering Isaiah 6 not only recently, but over the years. Many aspects are unique to this chapter and it appears to have many layers and at first difficult concepts. This chapter is also quoted in the NT a number of times and applied to the preaching by Christ. I would be interested if anyone has a perspective on this chapter and would like to discuss this here or in another dedicated thread. As a taster, please give a suggestion of what the three sets of wings represent, one pair covering the face, another the feet, and the other pair flying. I have a personal opinion on this last feature, and I have shared it with a friend who I respect as a thorough expositor, but he did not endorse my view on this. I will reserve my opinion until we progress. 

After writing the above I read the thread titled "Favourite scripture, Bible verses". Possibly I should have posted into that thread.

Kind regards Trevor

Edited by TrevorL
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Wanting to finish the race well, I have found illumination within Scott Hamilton's most recent book, and did a bit of a book report on it here somewhere.

"FINISH FIRST, winning changes everything" by Scott Hamilton.

-what is your strength? No weakness!

That is strength; working  endlessly to eliminate weakness. Strive to have no weakness. Do not for example allow it to be  that, I cannot learn Bible passages I can only remember concepts.  Never accept compromises like that. Work, work, and work better, until it is not only possible but that it is so! "Finish First, winning changes everything" is an easy read  yet one that builds principle upon principle and is packed with Bible references for one's consideration.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Deleted. I see the answer to my question elsewhere.

Edited by Neighbor

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Wanting to finish the race well, I have found illumination within Scott Hamilton's most recent book, and did a bit of a book report on it here somewhere.

"FINISH FIRST, winning changes everything" by Scott Hamilton.

-what is your strength? No weakness!

That is strength; working  endlessly to eliminate weakness. Strive to have no weakness. Do not for example allow it to be  that, I cannot learn Bible passages I can only remember concepts.  Never accept compromises like that. Work, work, and work better, until it is not only possible but that it is so! "Finish First, winning changes everything" is an easy read  yet one that builds principle upon principle and is packed with Bible references for one's consideration.

Yes, it is in His strength that we can work, work, and work better, until it is not only possible but that it is so!

• Praise God! 1

15 hours ago, Hidden In Him said:

The following quote by Thomas a' Kempis, "What is more at rest than a heart focused solely on You, and what is more free than the person who desires nothing on earth? We should rise above all creatures, therefore, and perfectly forsake ourselves and remain in an intense joy of mind as we see that among all creatures there is nothing like You, the Creator of all things."

I've also gotten encouragement from the first Chapter of Rick Joyner's The Torch and The Sword lately, in that it points out how the manifest Presence of God is something we should strife to give ourselves to continually, for it is through this that His power and Presence is manifest in our lives and ministries.  I need to finish that entire work, so thanks for reminding me.

Blessings in Christ.

Thanks for sharing the quote from Thomas Kempis. It is so beautifully true. Yes, connecting to God Spirit-to-spirit is that abiding in the vine, Christ. And through that vine, we are given all that we need to produce fruit. 

• This is Worthy 1