• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

35 minutes ago, Yowm said:

the letter kills, but it’s the Spirit that gives life” has to do with the comparison between the law and the Gospel. Otherwise you are using Scripture (letter) to denigrate the Scriptures (letter).God’s written Word never kills and as I say, it is the foundation of our faith. You only know of Paul’s experience because Luke wrote of it and Paul spoke of it.

The truth that the “Letter kills and the Spirit gives life” is a eternal truth.  It has to do with that which brings death, which is the flesh or fallen humanity or human understanding of the Words of Life. Laid against that which brings life, which is Christ in the believer or the Spiritual understanding of the Words of life. 

It is true we only know of all things because they are written by God in His word. Which we are told are “Spirit and life.” And as that which is “Spirit and life” they can only be received Spiritually. The Word goes on to say that Carnal or human understanding is incapable of recieving that which they are meant to give. Which makes all Carnal or human understanding profitless and futile until the Spirit of God opens up the truths in the Word to the human heart. 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,825
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

58 minutes ago, Not me said:

The truth that the “Letter kills and the Spirit gives life” is a eternal truth.  It has to do with that which brings death, which is the flesh or fallen humanity or human understanding of the Words of Life. Laid against that which brings life, which is Christ in the believer or the Spiritual understanding of the Words of life. 

It is true we only know of all things because they are written by God in His word. Which we are told are “Spirit and life.” And as that which is “Spirit and life” they can only be received Spiritually. The Word goes on to say that Carnal or human understanding is incapable of recieving that which they are meant to give. Which makes all Carnal or human understanding profitless and futile until the Spirit of God opens up the truths in the Word to the human heart. 

I enjoy reading your post, from your post I have come to understand that you long for the guidance of the Holy Spirit from within. 

That you long to hear the living word of the Holy Spirit and Jesus CHRIST. 

You desire the living water to flow from within. 

From my experience I have come to understand that the Holy Spirit works with everyone according to what they understand and the way they desire to be guided, our experience are important to us, and not all the time they are grounded in the right understanding, but that's how the Holy Spirit found the people and that's how it had to work with them, and continuous tryes to lead them in a new understanding. 

What I have observed many try to lead others to Jesus through their testimony and they are stack with that. 

But while it may work with a specific group , it is meanigless to others. 

We need the guidance of the Holy Spirit who knows the people and also knows what they need and can tell us what kind od seed to show in them, and to teach us how to aproch each and every situation, at the perfect God's timing and the words we need to speak, and when to stop. 

Leave some work for the Holy Spirit, not to take it upon ourselfs, and act out of our own understanding and be in a hurry. 

To an asian person who comes from a strange background the nessage is different than to one who is brought up in a Christian home, and lives in the world. God bless. 

We need both or anything that can help the Holy Spirit to work with people.

36 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

I enjoy reading your post, from your post I have come to understand that you long for the guidance of the Holy Spirit from within. 

That you long to hear the living word of the Holy Spirit and Jesus CHRIST. 

You desire the living water to flow from within. 

From my experience I have come to understand that the Holy Spirit works with everyone according to what they understand and the way they desire to be guided, our experience are important to us, and not all the time they are grounded in the right understanding, but that's how the Holy Spirit found the people and that's how it had to work with them, and continuous tryes to lead them in a new understanding. 

What I have observed many try to lead others to Jesus through their testimony and they are stack with that. 

But while it may work with a specific group , it is meanigless to others. 

We need the guidance of the Holy Spirit who knows the people and also knows what they need and can tell us what kind od seed to show in them, and to teach us how to aproch each and every situation, at the perfect God's timing and the words we need to speak, and when to stop. 

Leave some work for the Holy Spirit, not to take it upon ourselfs, and act out of our own understanding and be in a hurry. 

To an asian person who comes from a strange background the nessage is different than to one who is brought up in a Christian home, and lives in the world. God bless. 

We need both or anything that can help the Holy Spirit to work with people.

Thank you for your encouraging words. It is obvious you too have been taught by God. It is so true that we need to listen to what the Holy Spirit is teaching us. Not only in our daily walks but moment by moment. For as you mentioned it’s quite easy to get off Holy ground and act out from self. Which is simply death to all that hear. So listening to the breathing of the Spirit of Christ in us is that which  is of first importance. So that we can grow and also be available if and when God would have us speak or do this or that. 

So true again, God has and does meet people according to their understanding. For none of us have a total understanding of all truth. We are all a work in progress. But this being taught by God is true only as long as we  are walking in the integrity of our hearts toward Him. It is the honest and pure heart that God can work with. A heart that craves after Him in all reality and all truth. Blessing to you and thanks for your post. 

(This may be of value to you. Striving after righteousness in all one does, says, or thinks. When this truth was brought to realness in my heart. My heart saw what God was after. Which is righteousness in all things. Once again blessings to you.) 

Edited by Not me
  • This is Worthy 1

7 hours ago, Yowm said:

But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
(2Ti 1:10)

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
(2Co 3:7)

Like I said, letter=law, Gospel=life look at the context of ...

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. (2Co 3:6)

...it's the previous verse to 2Cor3:7 which I quoted above where Paul is comparing the ministry of the law with the better ministry of the Gospel. 

This is very true;~~~~ 2Cor3:7 which I quoted above where Paul is comparing the ministry of the law with the better ministry of the Gospel. 

But what are the “law” and the “Gospel” ? 

Is not the law that which was outwardly and brought no life to mankind? So a new thing was brought forth which is not outwardly like the old. It was and is a “ministration of the Spirit” or something done inwardly. 

First it needs to be understood that all Scriptures are “Spirit and life”. They carry “in them” eternal truths, or that which brings in life. For the express purpose of getting the believers to know and understand God in real time.  The scripture “the “letter kills but the Spirit gives life” is no different, it has a deep and profound meaning. Which is as I stated in my pior post. “One brings in death the other brings in life”. For life and death are the issues before man. 

You stated; 

letter = law 

Which is true, but  what is law?  It is that “thing” that brings death to mankind. Which is that “thing” being contrasted against that “thing” that brings life. Which is the Spirit.

Scripture says 

“for the flesh (outward anything)  profits nothing, it is the Spirit (that inward new birth) that gives life”.

It is the Spirit of Christ in a believer that brings Christ to manifestation in the believers life. Being contrasted against that thing that does not bring Christ to manifestation in the Believers life. Which is the outward understanding of the Words of Scripture.  This is the meaning of the scriptural truth “the letter kills but the Spirit gives life”

Than you said 

Gospel = Life 

Which is true again. But what is the Gospel? Are they not that thing that brings “life” to mankind? Moreover, or in simpler words. as the scriptures you quoted above prove. The old outward teaching of right and wrong is being replaced with a new way of learning right and wrong. Which is by a new life being formed in each believer. For the Gospel is a “ministration of the Spirit” meaning that it is an inward thing that has to happen in the heart of the believer. 

For the “letter (outward teaching) brings death, but the Spirit (inward teaching) brings life. 

Edited by Not me
  • This is Worthy 1

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

God taking upon Himself human flesh, being fully obedient unto death on a Cross, rising from the dead bodily was something inward?? Are you kidding me?

You misunderstand what is meant by “inwardly and outwardly.” 

The Law was given as a outward thing. If man would obey it. God would be their God. That is the Old Covenant. Which did not bring life. So a new thing was brought forth which was not like the old thing.  The new thing or Covenant, was, “I will cause you to walk in my statutes” Now, how God does this, is the difference between,  the Letter/Law (something outwardly), or Spirit/New Birth (something inwardly). Which is the “New Birth” which is a inward thing,  which can and does bring life. 

There is no Holy Spirit given UNTIL one first believes the Gospel...No 'Christ being  formed' in a person until faith in the Gospel.

And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” (Act 19:2)

O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? (Gal 3:1-2)

Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (Jas 1:18)

Please explain how this relates to  “the letter kills but the Spirit gives life” 

Much love in Christ, Not me. 

Edited by Not me

4 hours ago, Yowm said:

Easy, there is no Spirit given unless the Gospel is believed. You said earlier that the Gospel was an inward thing. I showed that the Gospel is something that happened outside us 2000 years ago. (1Cor 15:1-4). Then I gave you God's Word showing that that Gospel had to be believed before the Spirit was given. IOW, we have an incarnational salvation. God causing us to walk in the Spirit or even giving us His Spirit is not the Gospel that saves our soul, it is Christ's life, death and resurrection that is the basis of our salvation. 

The subject is;

what is the meaning of, 

“for the letter kills but the Spirit gives life”.

So let us look at the scripture in question; 

2 Corinthians 3:6 (NASB)
who also made us adequate [as] servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Paul is saying he a servant of the New Covenant. We also know that Paul calls himself a minister of the Gospel of Christ. Making the New Covenant and the Gospel the same thing. 

He goes on to say,  what he’s not a minister of, which is; “not of the letter”. So the question would be, what does the “letter” mean? We see that whatever the letter means, it is that thing that brings forth death. So what brought in death to man? Scripture says; 

Romans 7:9 (NASB)
I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died;

So we see it was the Law that made sin come alive and kill. So what was the Law? As we see from above it was the commandments that caused sin to come alive which in turn killed man. Than what were the commandments that caused sin to become alive?   They were the outward instructions to man whereby if he kept them he could live. Paul says he was “not” a minister of that.

But he was a minister of something else. So what was that something else?  Paul says it was “the Spirit”. So what is this “Spirit” that Paul says he’s a minister of?  It is the Spirit of Christ coming to make His abode with man, whereby causing the New Birth. Whereby making the Gospel a ministration of the Spirit. Which is just another way of saying “Christ in us”. For that which brings life to man is something other than the letter or outward instruction as we see the failure of the Old Covenant to cause man to live. 

So Paul is saying;

“the outward teaching that God gave by the Old Covenant resulted in mans death, but the inner teaching that the Spirit of Christ teaches, causes life” which is just another way of saying; 

“For the letter kills but the Spirit gives life”

Much love in Christ, Not me. 

Edited by Not me

20 hours ago, Yowm said:

So my original statement (at top) which you are now agreeing with.

But notice in your first response to me you said, 

but in your last post you state...

So which is it that the 'letter' signifies? The flesh or the law?

If your talking about this statement?

the letter kills, but it’s the Spirit that gives life” has to do with the comparison between the law and the Gospel. Otherwise you are using Scripture (letter) to denigrate the Scriptures (letter).God’s written Word never kills and as I say, it is the foundation of our faith. You only know of Paul’s experience because Luke wrote of it and Paul spoke of it.”

Which I expounded and put a sharper point on with; 

“The truth that the “Letter kills and the Spirit gives life” is a eternal truth.  It has to do with that which brings death, which is the flesh or fallen humanity or human understanding of the Words of Life. Laid against that which brings life, which is Christ in the believer or the Spiritual understanding of the Words of life.”

As to the question;

“which does the letter signify the flesh or the law?”

It is both , for all outward things or things that bring death are signified by the word “letter”. For the letter is that thing that brings death. 

As I mentioned before letter and Spirit are being contrasted, one is that thing which includes all things that bring death, against, the Spirit, which is that thing that brings life. Henceforth the scripture reads; 

“the letter kills but the Spirit gives life”

This same truth is stated again in different words in the scripture; 

John 6:63 (NASB)
"It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. 

Which just changes the word letter with flesh for they are meant to portray that thing that was contrary or set against the Spirit. 

much love in Christ, Not me 

Edited by Not me