FollowerOfTheWay

"Believe in me, or go to hell"

Posted (edited)

Did Jesus really mean, "Believe in me, or go to hell"?

In a way, that could be true. If you reject the Living Christ, you have chosen death. By that said, you should not hold on to a graven image of Christ. The Living Christ is beyond any graven image found in this world. By holding on to a graven image, you keep yourself spiritually asleep.

"Believe in me" - what did Jesus ment by that? I believe he ment that if you believe in his example, you will be saved, not that you should believe that he died for our sins. And I believe he died on the cross to show us what is really possible. Isn´t it greater to believe in his example and follow it, so to become a Christ-being? Instead of being stuck as a sinner and believe that Jesus took the fault, which I believe don´t lead anywhere. Not to die on a cross yourself, but to transcend human limitations and become limitless.

So if you do not believe in his example, you have indeed chosen death over life. 

But I do not buy into the black and white thinking about heaven or hell. I think there is heaven and hell, and everything in between. That only if you´re evil, you will go to hell, and stay there until you change - if you change.

Edited by FollowerOfTheWay
  • Praying for You! 1

There's a lot of people who don't believe in the Scriptures...

• Thumbs Up 1

This is gnostic teaching .. perhps you don't know what Gnosticism is.

From wikipedia -- 

Gnosticism (from Ancient Greek: γνωστικός gnostikos, "having knowledge", from γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) is a modern name for a variety of ancient religious ideas and systems, originating in Jewish-Christian milieus in the first and second century AD. These systems believed that the material world is created by an emanation of the highest God, trapping the divine spark within the human body. This divine spark could be liberated by gnosis. Some of the core teachings include the following:

1. All matter is evil, and the non-material, spirit-realm is good.
  2. There is an unknowable God, who gave rise to many lesser spirit beings called Aeons.
  3. One evil, lower spirit being is the creator who made the universe.
  4. Gnosticism does not deal with 'sin', only ignorance.
  5. To achieve salvation, one needs to get in touch with secret knowledge.

When the Apostle John was dealing with Gnosticism in the 1st century, he was adamantly opposed to this teaching.

2 John 1:7  For many deceivers have entered into the world, who do not confess Jesus Christ coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the anti-christ.

Who was John speaking of -- the Gnostics of his day.

He continues and says, 

2Jn 1:9  Everyone transgressing and not abiding in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ, he has both the Father and the Son. 
2Jn 1:10  If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house, nor speak a greeting to him. 

How is salvation obtained --

Rom 10:9  Because if you confess the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved. 
Rom 10:10  For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses unto salvation. 

Be careful ... for the enemy comes as an angel of light ... and comes in the name of "another Jesus!" [2 Corinthians 11]

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, George said:

This is gnostic teaching .. perhps you don't know what Gnosticism is.

From wikipedia -- 

When the Apostle John was dealing with Gnosticism in the 1st century, he was adamantly opposed to this teaching.

2 John 1:7  For many deceivers have entered into the world, who do not confess Jesus Christ coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the anti-christ.

Who was John speaking of -- the Gnostics of his day.

He continues and says, 

2Jn 1:9  Everyone transgressing and not abiding in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ, he has both the Father and the Son. 
2Jn 1:10  If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house, nor speak a greeting to him. 

How is salvation obtained --

Rom 10:9  Because if you confess the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved. 
Rom 10:10  For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses unto salvation. 

Be careful ... for the enemy comes as an angel of light ... and comes in the name of "another Jesus!" [2 Corinthians 11]

George

I just read what the Gnostic teachings are. I do not agree completely with them. Matter can only become "evil" if you get lost in it and forget your true spiritual nature. Then you equal materialism and happiness, when happiness actually arise when you know yourself, are connected to your true spiritual nature. This I believe is true gnosis. I believe when you percieve with the carnal mind, you distort everything, and you create a false teaching. You should percieve with the Christ mind. Then you have true perception, and you can see that the true teaching cannot be put in words, but can only be known. Be the teaching.

• Oy Vey! 1

5 minutes ago, FollowerOfTheWay said:

I just read what the Gnostic teachings are. I do not agree completely with them. Matter can only become "evil" if you get lost in it and forget your true spiritual nature. Then you equal materialism and happiness, when happiness actually arise when you know yourself, are connected to your true spiritual nature. This I believe is true gnosis. I believe when you percieve with the carnal mind, you distort everything, and you create a false teaching. You should percieve with the Christ mind. Then you have true perception, and you can see that the true teaching cannot be put in words, but can only be known. Be the teaching.

Well according to The Lord in John chapter one His communicated Word both in creation

Rom 1:20

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
KJV

and so with The Written Word

2 Tim 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

This higher knowledge outside of the communicated Word of God doesn't exist according to God in His Word... does this bother you that your not of God in this?

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, FollowerOfTheWay said:

In a way, that could be true. If you reject the Living Christ, you have chosen death. By that said, you should not hold on to a graven image of Christ. The Living Christ is beyond any graven image found in this world. By holding on to a graven image, you keep yourself spiritually asleep.

"Believe in me" - what did Jesus ment by that? I believe he ment that if you believe in his example, you will be saved, not that you should believe that he died for our sins. And I believe he died on the cross to show us what is really possible. Isn´t it greater to believe in his example and follow it, so to become a Christ-being? Instead of being stuck as a sinner and believe that Jesus took the fault, which I believe don´t lead anywhere. Not to die on a cross yourself, but to transcend human limitations and become limitless.

So if you do not believe in his example, you have indeed chosen death over life. 

But I do not buy into the black and white thinking about heaven or hell. I think there is heaven and hell, and everything in between. That only if you´re evil, you will go to hell, and stay there until you change - if you change.

Hi FollowerOfTheWay,

Pleased to meet you and discuss this most important topic. Now many, many people have been led to believe that by following Jesus` example they will be saved from judgment. And many people do try and live according to the golden rule, however as you and I know we always fall short of the Lord`s example. If it was just a matter of following a good, or very good person, (Jesus) then He didn`t need to die, and could have called legions of angels to rescue Him. And we would still have His good life to follow.

So we need more than His good example, we need.....His very life in us and lived through us. Amazing as that sounds, think of like Jesus`s DNA placed in us and now we have the opportunity to every day make the choice - His way, or our own way. Makes every day a challenge, ay.

What do you think?

Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 2

12 minutes ago, FollowerOfTheWay said:

I believe the problem is ... are you taking up your cross?

Mat 16:24-26  Then Jesus said to His disciples, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save his life shall lose it, and whoever desires to lose his life for My sake shall find it.   For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? 

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi FollowerOfTheWay,

Pleased to meet you and discuss this most important topic. Now many, many people have been led to believe that by following Jesus` example they will be saved from judgment. And many people do try and live according to the golden rule, however as you and I know we always fall short of the Lord`s example. If it was just a matter of following a good, or very good person, (Jesus) then He didn`t need to die, and could have called legions of angels to rescue Him. And we would still have His good life to follow.

So we need more than His good example, we need.....His very life in us and lived through us. Amazing as that sounds, think of like Jesus`s DNA placed in us and now we have the opportunity to every day make the choice - His way, or our own way. Makes every day a challenge, ay.

What do you think?

Marilyn.

Yes. His way, not our own way. But it seems, that even Christians, despite what you have just said, fall short of his way. If being a Christian would make you into a Christ-being, the world should have been a very different place now, as there are millions of Christians all over the world.

23 minutes ago, FollowerOfTheWay said:

being a Christian would make you into a Christ-being

This is very gnostic.  This is a typical prayer found on these types of gnostic type sites.

I AM loving the Lord my God with all my heart and with all my mind and with all my strength and with all my soul, and I AM loving my neighbor as myself.

I AM serving the Lord my God with all my heart and with all my mind and with all my strength and with all my soul, and I AM serving my neighbor as I serve my Higher Self.

In gnosticism -- it's all about YOU -- and You achieving a "Higher self."  If you notice in the PRAYER -- a gnostic prayer is I AM -- which is the name that God said to Moses in the burning bush.

Exo 3:13  And Moses said to God, Behold, when I come to the sons of Israel, and shall say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you, and they shall say to me, What is His name? What shall I say to them? 
Exo 3:14  And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM. And He said, So you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you. 

You see, it's a subtle way of trying to BE GOD!  

In true Christianity, it's not about YOU any longer -- as I said before,

Mat 16:24-26  Then Jesus said to His disciples, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save his life shall lose it, and whoever desires to lose his life for My sake shall find it.   For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? 

True Christianity recognizes what was done for YOU -- and when you comprehend that LOVE -- you can then SHARE that LOVE!  Christianity is about HIM -- and NOT ABOUT YOU!   What does Jesus say ... let him deny himself ... let him lose his life for My sake ... 

Do you see the difference?

George

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

7 hours ago, FollowerOfTheWay said:

Believing in His example and following it, will never get a person born again. He may die a good citizen or get crucified but if that is all, then hell, not heaven will be his eternal abode...

John 3:3,5,7 KJV
[3] Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. [5] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

2 Corinthians 5:17-19 KJV
[17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. [18] And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; [19] To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2