• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

I used the word ‘difference’ as in a difference between translation and paraphrase.

Even if I thought someone actually preferred a paraphrase I would have more respect for them than that. And I would not immediately jump to accusing them of needing more discernment. 

• Group:  Advanced Member

Just now, Yowm said:

reading a paraphrase when the company/author calls it a translation is another.

And I didn't support the reading of that paraphrase they are calling a translation. So for about the fourth time now, how did I lack discernment yet you yourself where far more discerning in the matter?

2 minutes ago, Hidden In Him said:

So for about the fourth time now, how did I lack discernment yet you yourself were far more discerning in the matter?

Can you answer the question please?

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I never said I was far more discerning in the matter.

What am I supposed to infer from your request that I use discernment? 

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

It appears you are dead wrong. Their site themselves call it a TRANSLATION. Please use discernment In these matter or you end up abetting their deception.

https://www.thepassiontranslation.com/

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

5 minutes ago, Hidden In Him said:

What am I supposed to infer from your request that I use discernment? 

I think you are misreading what he said there. All he said was please use discernment. He never implied you are lacking discernment. 

Time to let it go.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

30 minutes ago, Hidden In Him said:

:thumbsup:

LoL. It doesn't matter what anyone calls it! Ha! Any translator worth his salt knows a translation from a paraphrase. Just because they call it a "translation" doesn't actually make it one, Yowm.

I have to disagree with you. It absolutely matters what they call it. “The Passion Translation” is indeed used and promoted as an actual “translation” and as such, it has indeed led many astray.

On the official website for the TPT, they have a FAQ page, you may want to go read through those questions and answers to learn more about how they are defending this as an actual translation. Here are a few examples:

1. The website encourages the reading of The Passion Translation from the pulpit:

“What makes The Passion Translation good for use from the pulpit?”

The Passion Translation has been crafted with modern English readers and listeners in mind, which is why it is ideal for modern English churches. The cadence and word choices, sentence structure and emotive language all lend a hand in helping readers easily proclaim passages, pastors clearly communicate God’s Word, and listeners understand the specific message God wants them to hear. Whatever your role in the church today, The Passion Translation will help your messages come alive with the fiery passion of God and help your listeners encounter the heart of God.”

2. The website specifically emphasizes that The Passion Translation is NOT a paraphrase.

Why is The Passion Translation described as a “translation” rather than a “paraphrase”?

“There is often some confusion in the Christian community when it comes to various versions of the Bible, particularly the differences between “translation” and “paraphrase.”

“A paraphrase version of the Bible utilizes an existing English-language translation as its base text. It paraphrases one version into more contemporary language. For instance, in 1971 the creator of The Living Bible paraphrased the existing American Standard Versionof 1901 to create a new English-language Bible version.”

“A translation, however, uses the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek manuscripts as the base text for a new version of the Bible. It translates these original languages into a modern language. For example, the translators of the New International Version in 1978 worked off the original ancient-language manuscripts to produce a new English Bible by translating those ancient languages into the modern language.”

“Similar to such functional or dynamic equivalent translations as the New International Version and the New Living Translation Bible versions, The Passion Translation is a new version of God’s Word that is considered a translation because it uses the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek manuscripts to translate the essential message of the Scriptures into contemporary English.”

3. The website promotes The Passion Translation as an excellent “translation” for use in “serious study.”

“Is the TPT consideees a good translation for serious study?”

“The Passion Translation is an excellent translation you can use as your primary text to seriously study God’s Word because it combines the best aspects of what is called formal and functional equivalence Bibles. It is a balanced translation that tries to hold both the Word’s literal meaning and original message in proper tension, resulting in an entirely new, fresh, fiery translation of God’s Word. Furthermore, this is the first modern English translation to use Aramaic, the language of Jesus and the disciples, as a lens through which to view God’s original Word to us, a word of truth and love.”

“This translation philosophy will benefit your serious study of Scripture in several ways.”
  • “The text was interpreted from the original language, carrying its original meaning and giving you an accurate, reliable expression of God’s original message.”
  • “The meaning of a passage takes priority over the form of the original words, so that every English speaker can encounter the heart of God through His Word in a way that’s natural and readable.”
  • “This translation keeps the Bible in step with changes in modern English, helping you clearly understand God’s original message and how it applies to your life in the twenty-first century.”
  • This translation reclaims lost Aramaic texts, bringing the full texture of God’s Word to the surface, and helping you recapture the original essence of the teachings of Jesus and His disciples.
  • This version taps into the love language of God, letting the words of Scripture go through the human soul, past the defenses of our mind, and into our spirit. Countless people have told us how The Passion Translation has helped them freshly discover intimacy with Christ in their journey through Scripture, and that it has rapidly become their favorite translation of choice for Bible study. We are thrilled to offer this accurate, faithful, clear, and readable translation for your serious study of God’s Word, and look forward to hearing how it helps you encounter the heart of God anew.”

Notice also all of the extreme claims made about this “translation”. According to the website, it is even a cut above any other translation ever produced.

In reality, The Passion Translation shouldn’t even be called a paraphrase. It shouldn’t be used at all.

5 minutes ago, Acadia said:

I have to disagree with you.

As you wish. 

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

A quick youtube view of Brian Simmons interview on Sid Roth (another quack) shows this guy is out in left field along the lines of Joseph Smith or Mohammed.

I can’t believe Christian bookstores are selling this. $$$Where’s the accountability?

Yes. I have watched that entire interview. I would absolutely warn anyone not to trust Sid Roth or any of his guests, no matter how sincere they seem or are. Roth’s Its Supernatural program is all about “making merchandise“ of people by selling “anointed” materials and promises of “breakthrough”, “healings” and “impartations”, claiming these are of the true Holy Spirit.

Like Simon the Sorcerer, they attempt to buy the gifts of God.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hidden In Him said:

As you wish. 

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

As I wish? I provided clear reasons, directly from the official TPT website. I am not just trying to be contrary or disagreeable you know.

I hope you have a nice Sunday as well.

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

LOL, it did make for a non combative platform for Simmons to open up and tell all.

It absolutely did. That’s what Sid Roth and his program are all about.

• Thumbs Up 1