A Lamp On The Stand

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I suppose you might call me a "closet Christian".

You see, when I was younger and rebellious against my parents, I had made the decision to become an atheist. Within that time period, they would make passing remarks such as, "you'll be a Christian again someday" or "you'll come around". It drove me up the wall, as I felt it was a form of disrespect towards my decision, as it was with many things at the time. I felt as if they didn't take me seriously. While those times have passed and I realize it is... Perhaps a sort of pettiness on my end, i'm not sure how to or even IF I should reveal to them my "return". I can just picture them putting a hand on my shoulder and saying that they told me so, laughing about it. A part of me, perhaps that teenager that felt that they were treated as a fool, just feels like that would be a loss. I mean, I was being foolish, but writing me off just didn't help.

I just don't know if I should tell them, nor do I know how i'd go about that, really.

Even in everyday life, I really don't leave the confines of my closet. I don't if it seems like it would be awkward to bring up in everyday conversation or what, I just don't know what one revealing oneself as a Christian means. Jesus did not like that the Pharisees and teachers of the law preached and prayed in the streets where all could see, for the sake of being praised by men. Is it just a matter of not doing it to be praised by men? The bible makes many mentions of both things being put out there for all to see and other things kept behind closed doors. I'm just uncertain as to how to proceed.

So, yeah. I'm looking for advice as far as my parents and socializing in general.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Here are my thoughts dr3032.  Ask God to help you forgive your parents and don't hold back this part of yourself from them.  I know they let you down, but for your own sake you need to forgive them.  I hope you will find a good church home somewhere where you can love and be loved in return!  Christians need one another to make it through life!  You need to be part of a church family where you can give and receive support.  Ask God to help you forgive people...listen to one who regrets having unforgiveness.  It spills out on all parts of your life.  You don't want to be in that prison.  It is normal for it to feel like you are losing when you forgive...Let God be the one to deal with your parents. 

You could try to tell them how they have hurt you and see if they could understand.  But you would have to know they may not react in a Christ like way.  You might not be able to get that deep connection with them that you desire.  But in my experience, God more than makes up for what we don't get from our parents!!  He will put healing people in your life.  Trust Him.  Ask for His help.  I think you are VERY wise to be asking advice...I am sure others will have more valuable advice than me.  Blessings!!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Hi  dr3032! :)

Good advice above from HikerMom on (prayerfully) asking for God's help in forgiving your parents if you need to!
Not forgiving folks definitively puts unseen prison bars around those who choose not to forgive.

Your subject " A Lamp On The Stand" had me thinking immediately on this verse, as if you "perhaps" already "knew" the answer!

Luke 11:33  No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

This verse has your parents included in it's context, let them know the great news when you get a chance! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Good advice given to you so far.   Yes, do forgive your parents, and as HikerMom said, you might explain your feelings to them...if you are so led.  Hopefully, they will understand and be sensitive about it.   If not, you can't hold that against them....at least you will be doing the right thing in letting your light shine openly for Christ.

Other situations:  I would just let my "light" shine in natural ways in my daily life, like at your workplace.   If you feel led or have opportunity to tell people about becoming a Christian, then do so.   You will be a blessing to many that are praying for family members to come to know Jesus.

Be sure to make some good Christian friends for socializing and having fun with.   People will often notice Christians and their joy together...this can also be a testimony to others of your faith.  

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

20 hours ago, dr3032 said:

You see, when I was younger and rebellious against my parents, I had made the decision to become an atheist. Within that time period, they would make passing remarks such as, "you'll be a Christian again someday" or "you'll come around". It drove me up the wall, as I felt it was a form of disrespect towards my decision, as it was with many things at the time. I felt as if they didn't take me seriously. While those times have passed and I realize it is... Perhaps a sort of pettiness on my end, i'm not sure how to or even IF I should reveal to them my "return". I can just picture them putting a hand on my shoulder and saying that they told me so, laughing about it. A part of me, perhaps that teenager that felt that they were treated as a fool, just feels like that would be a loss. I mean, I was being foolish, but writing me off just didn't help.

I just don't know if I should tell them, nor do I know how i'd go about that, really.

Even in everyday life, I really don't leave the confines of my closet. I don't if it seems like it would be awkward to bring up in everyday conversation or what, I just don't know what one revealing oneself as a Christian means. Jesus did not like that the Pharisees and teachers of the law preached and prayed in the streets where all could see, for the sake of being praised by men. Is it just a matter of not doing it to be praised by men? The bible makes many mentions of both things being put out there for all to see and other things kept behind closed doors. I'm just uncertain as to how to proceed.

So, yeah. I'm looking for advice as far as my parents and socializing in general.

dr3032, be of good courage. You could eventually end up shedding more light on the truth than they do, at which point they may have no choice but to take you more seriously, LoL. The lamp on a lampstand teaching was about more than just expressing one's faith in Christ. It was about receiving and sharing far greater revelation from God than anything the Pharisees and scribes could offer, and not being afraid or discouraged from doing so no matter what the circumstances.

Christ's teaching in the Parable of the Sower was a command to allow the word to grow within you so fully (up to 30, 60, or 100 fold) that it couldn't help but pour forth into others, due to your having given yourself to the study of His word so much that it just begins happening naturally. When you open your mouth - to your parents or anyone else for that matter - the word just comes pouring forth in wisdom and revelation from God. So dedicate yourself to Him completely. In time, it may be you who becomes the instructor to your family, and if they pat you on the back now then maybe you can pat them on the back later (in a good spirit, of course), and let them know you understand, and that sometimes it just takes people a little while to come around is all, LoL.

Be encouraged. God is a righteous Judge, and He will set every record straight. 

Edited by Hidden In Him
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

You could aswell tell them that they should respect your decisions and that you didn't really turn back to Christianity because of/thanks to them. Tell them the reasons that determined you making those decisions (becoming an atheist and then getting back to Christianity). Try convincing them you're mature enough to make choices for your own and that you don't need to depend on them when it comes to such things.

Edited by mat007

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

Tell them nothing until you have a few more weeks to months reading the Bible and praying. Start with John's gospel. Make sure you trust Christ and become a born again Christian, not just a religious Christian.

Tell OTHER people what you've done, witnessing to them the gospel. Your parents sound okay but they are just two people out of millions who need Jesus and salvation.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 6/24/2018 at 8:38 AM, dr3032 said:

Hi, just wondering if you were able to tell your parents that you now believe on Jesus as your Savior?   

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

If you come out of the closet as a Christian then that does not mean you are a Pharisee - being a Pharisee is about doing acts deliberately to be seen in front of people i.e. the wrong heart. Don't let your left hand know what it is doing when you, put people out of your mind and your Father in heaven will reward you openly later on:

Matthew 6:4 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

HikerMom and B3L13v3R are so right - if you forgive them then you will find that you will have a lot of spiritual release i.e. you may even find this releases body tension as forgiveness is that powerful and real.

If you want a good relationship with your parents and therefore more support too without sounding selfish, then I recommend that you go ahead and tell them - you would be making two people, very, very happy. I pray you do actually.

You know what, having a sense of humour with your parents can be a massive game changer - I hope that to get back and also once you are back you could gently have a joke with them. Maybe in a few years time you could joke and say something like "why are you not reading your bible Mum" or "you not getting to heaven if you eat all that ice cream".

Socializing in general - relax, know your limits by following the Word and try to love the people you socialize with and you will find this:

1 John 4:18 English Standard Version (ESV)

18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear....

At the end of day, they are your parents and that does not change - it can be a good relationship though.
Bless ya! ?

Edited by Sharky and George

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

7 hours ago, Debp said:

Hi, just wondering if you were able to tell your parents that you now believe on Jesus as your Savior?   

I still haven't. I just can't really think of what a good opportunity might be. Do I just say something like, "hey, i'd like to talk for a moment"? Like, it's not that it isn't important, but that seems a bit dramatic.