FollowerOfTheWay

God gave me the power to forgive!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, FollowerOfTheWay said:
  21 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

what do you mean by having the power to forgive.

7 hours ago, FollowerOfTheWay said:

I mean having God´s power to forgive, not your own.

I ask this because Jesus said something similar......

Mat 9:6  But so you will know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins..." he told the paralyzed man, "Get up, pick up your stretcher, and go home!" 

The people of the time believed that sickness was directly related to some sin in a persons life. This is an interesting passage in that Jesus was demonstrating His supreme authority to forgive all sin.

This brings up some interesting questions

1) Do we have the power to forgive ALL sin? ...I mean say, someone does something to you, do I have the power to forgive him, or do only you?....After all, they haven't done anything to me, what do I need to forgive? What did the paralyzed man ever do to Jesus? (this is a key question to answer!)

2) Can a non Christian forgive someone...is it only possible to forgive if you are a Christian? How does the power of God work in regards to forgiveness?

3) Having said that;  what is the significance for a Christian to forgive that makes it different from someone that is not a Christian?

Edited by Mike 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

I ask this because Jesus said something similar......

Mat 9:6  But so you will know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins..." he told the paralyzed man, "Get up, pick up your stretcher, and go home!" 

The people of the time believed that sickness was directly related to some sin in a persons life. This is an interesting passage in that Jesus was demonstrating His supreme authority to forgive all sin.

This brings up some interesting questions

1) Do we have the power to forgive ALL sin? ...I mean say, someone does something to you, do I have the power to forgive him, or do only you?....After all, they haven't done anything to me, what do I need to forgive? What did the paralyzed man ever do to Jesus? (this is a key question to answer!)

2) Can a non Christian forgive someone...is it only possible to forgive if you are a Christian? How does the power of God work in regards to forgiveness?

3) Having said that;  what is the significance for a Christian to forgive that makes it different from someone that is not a Christian?

1. We have the power of God to forgive ALL sin. Because as born again in Christ we understand where sin comes from and what it causes for those who do not have faith, who are not born again. Thereby we can understand and forgive in God´s power.

2. A non Christian who is trapped in sin, can have very hard to forgive someone when or if they don´t understand the situation. Because their sinful nature is in the way for God´s power of forgiveness to flow through them. So only if you´re a Christian can you truly forgive. God´s power works in your heart and you think in a new way: you are above the sinful way of thinking and can forgive everything.

3. A Christian forgive with the power of God, not of their own power. A non Christian tries very hard to forgive with their own power and can easily fail.

Edited by FollowerOfTheWay

12 hours ago, FollowerOfTheWay said:

1. We have the power of God to forgive ALL sin. Because as born again in Christ we understand where sin comes from and what it causes for those who do not have faith, who are not born again. Thereby we can understand and forgive in God´s power.

2. A non Christian who is trapped in sin, can have very hard to forgive someone when or if they don´t understand the situation. Because their sinful nature is in the way for God´s power of forgiveness to flow through them. So only if you´re a Christian can you truly forgive. God´s power works in your heart and you think in a new way: you are above the sinful way of thinking and can forgive everything.

3. A Christian forgive with the power of God, not of their own power. A non Christian tries very hard to forgive with their own power and can easily fail.

We may be looking at forgiving ALL sin from 2 different perspectives.

1) A whole bunch of people have sinned against YOU in a whole pile of different ways ALL KINDS of sin. Through God's strength in you, you have the ability to forgive all sorts of sin towards you that you previously would never have considered.

2)  Say I did something to .....George. I have offended George,  I have not offended you 

So if I have not offended you you don't have to forgive me.

In view of 2) let's take this one step further....

Do you have the power to forgive my sin against George? How is it that Jesus can forgive ALL sin against you, me or anyone we don't know?

Act 10:43  All the prophets testify to this: everyone who believes in Jesus receives forgiveness of sins through his name.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:52 AM, FollowerOfTheWay said:

I start off by saying that I have accepted the gift of salvation, as I can now understand in it in a new light. After having done that, God gave me the power to forgive! :) 

Yes, I cannot be angry - like I am above anger - and instead I feel forgiveness towards everything! This is amazing! 

Thank you God! Thank you Jesus!

Do you have the same power, the power to forgive? I want to know if all, or most, Christians are in the same state of consciousness?

Now, having accepted the gift of salvation, I don´t know how the rest will turn out for me, with my beliefs and stuffs. I am quite clear about many things - the occultic practises and the occultic realm, New Age, drugs, the world, people... and God´s grace! I believe in the Gospel now, and the Gospel only - I don´t know yet if I want to believe, for example, that the rest who do not believe go to hell for eternity with no exception, or that earth is just 7000 years old... I just want to have the gift of salvation - no other speculation - and to base my life on that gift, so that I might be a light of the world (Matthew 5:14-16).

I forgive and often feel pity for those who I once thought were my enemies.

• This is Worthy 1