• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

15 minutes ago, TheAimes said:

Peek-a-boo. ?

There is a baby penguin now at the aquarium. Soooo fluffy cute.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Days Won:  21

12 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

There is a baby penguin now at the aquarium. Soooo fluffy cute.

Ohhh, my heart! I so wish I could visit your aquarium. It sounds so awesome. 

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

On 6/27/2018 at 5:47 AM, turtletwo said:

I was moved by the story of Amy Carmichael, who I first learned of in a movie last year. On Christianity.com is an article titled "Amy Carmichael helped the helpless." She was an Irish missionary to India's poor orphan children. She rescued a girl from the pagan temple priests. What struck me about her was how she spent over 50 years there without returning to her homeland. She had a heart for God and for the suffering children. She had such a  singlemindedness and wholehearted submission to the Lord. There was a sweetness that eminated from her. 

I also vote for Amy, especially after I learn that she suffered from what I have, fibromyalgia.  She spent the last 20 years of her life in bed, if I remember correctly.

But my favorite is Corrie tenBoom.  Her gentle humility and willingness to step out in faith with no money and not knowing where she was going just awes me.  She was an older lady who was usually completely alone.  God gave her so much courage.  She ministered in prisons where all others were terrified to go.  

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

28 minutes ago, Sojourner414 said:

Wow Aimes! I was about to add in my favorite, albeit they are 5 and not one:

Nate Saint

Jim Elliot (Elizabeth's Husband)

Roger Youderian

Pete Fleming

Ed McCully

They went to the Waodani tribe in Ecuador to bring the Word of God. And even though they ended up being martyred for their faith, their work reached out to these people, and even today, their story continues on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Auca

The "anthropologist views" in that link I generally take as "sour apples" seeing as they most likely could care if those people slipped into a Christless eternity.

Not so much sour grapes sojo as it is a loss of something valuable in the eyes of the world, that is, the unique culture of that tribe. I have to admit with my anthro background, and with mike, I sometimes feel a sense of loss over native cultures too but then I have to shake my head and remind myself that anything of this world is nothing, mere dung, compared to knowing Christ. But those spiritually lost will mourn the loss of a nonChristian native culture. 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/27/2018 at 4:53 AM, ayin jade said:

This isnt meant for debating or arguing ...

Im just curious. Who is your favorite missionary and why? 

In our sister church, an independent Baptist, they have pictures around the two sides up on the walls of the many different missionaries they support. There must be over fifty. When these missionaries come back home and share their work from in the field, it is a great feeling for those who support them. They let the members know what is needed for their return trip. There are no big names, just those individuals or families, who received the call. I enjoy hearing about the testimonies of the past great ones, but my heart is with those less unknown workers, those faithful soldiers . Neat thread ayin.....

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

On 6/27/2018 at 2:53 AM, ayin jade said:

Mine is gladys aylward. Ive been obsessed with china since I was a kid, and I saw a movie based on her life. What she accomplished impressed me. Especially since she was at first rejected. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys_Aylward

I love “Inn of The Sixth Happiness” (1958) starring Ingrid Bergeman. Bergeman said she interviewed Glayds Aylward and in process became a Christian. I too have a heart for China thanks to her story and the story Father Francis Chrisholm who is played by Gregory Peck in “The Keys to the Kingdom.” (1944). ✝️

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 6/27/2018 at 2:53 AM, ayin jade said:

Mine is gladys aylward. Ive been obsessed with china since I was a kid, and I saw a movie based on her life. What she accomplished impressed me. Especially since she was at first rejected. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys_Aylward

Enjoyed reading the bio of Gladys Aylward very much.   That would be a great movie to remake...I think people these days would appreciate hearing the true story of her many hardships in reaching and working in China.

There are so many wonderful old time missionaries.    There were also wonderful missionaries to the Muslim world who often saw no converts during their many years serving there.  But who knows what seeds they planted?

P.S.  Years ago I knew a pastor and his wife who were expelled by the Communists from China....they later ministered in Thailand.    Had contacts with missionaries in Pakistan, Irian Jaya, Indonesia.  Also, still am friends with a missionary lady who spent nearly her whole life serving in Japan... she is now back in the States, retired.

Edited by Debp
Added p.s.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

2 minutes ago, Debp said:

Enjoyed reading the bio of Gladys Aylward very much.   That would be a great movie to remake...I think people these days would appreciate hearing the true story of her many hardships in reaching and working in China.

There are so many wonderful old time missionaries.    There were also wonderful missionaries to the Muslim world who often saw no converts during their many years serving there.  But who knows what seeds they planted?

I was just telling someone they should remake the Inn of the Sixth Happiness for a new generation. I pictured Jodie Foster as Gladys because of her superb job of portraying Anna in “Anna and the King” (1999). Jodie did a great job of playing a strong Christian English teacher in Siam/Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

4 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I was just telling someone they should remake the Inn of the Sixth Happiness for a new generation. I pictured Jodie Foster as Gladys because of her superb job of portraying Anna in “Anna and the King” (1999). Jodie did a great job of playing a strong Christian English teacher in Siam/Thailand. 

Loved that movie!  I have been in Thailand and visited the Grand Palace twice where Anna lived....must have been quite the experience for her!  As I was impressed by it....so huge and beautiful, too.