Christians and drinking

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

maybe it's my denominational values but i never got.  why do some of us get defensive over  thr ability to do this activity?yeah drinking itself  isn't prohibited just  excess but thinking abt it, there's  no possible benefits only all negative  ( unless dr prescribed )

20180626_182304.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Cool creativemechanic. How many drunks do you know or see personally?  But then, how many over weight gluttons do you know or see?  Food is not forbidden. How about gossips.  It's ok to talk, right?   And those that are always judging.            Shucks man, this could be fun
                                                Anybody else have some good ones?

I do. Don't drink, dance, smoke, or chew. Or hang out, with those who do! .............:shades_smile:

Edited by Gary Lee
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

18 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

I do. Don't drink, dance, smoke, or chew. Or hang out, with those who do! .............:shades_smile:

I dance. In my livingroom. And sometimes in the grocery store if they play KC & The Sunshine Band. As for the cartoon.  I think drinking is like a lot of other things is a personal matter between you and God. But if you are crashing your car into a tree and rolling on the ground looking like a fool, you may want to consider giving it up. But a person having a drink like ONE drink. Dose not normally end up in an out of control behavior. As for me. I don't think God wants me to drink. It seems rather clear to me that that is a path he dose not wish me to follow. So I just don't. But I do not bash those who do. I simply answer them as I do now. It is between you and God, and of course your behavior. If you can have a drink and be at peace with that, then fine for you. But if you then go beat your wife and kids, then it is a path that God would not want you to be on.  

So that is my answer to your cartoon. Party on. ?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

7 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Cool creativemechanic. How many drunks do you know or see personally?  But then, how many over weight gluttons do you know or see?  Food is not forbidden. How about gossips.  It's ok to talk, right?   And those that are always judging.            Shucks man, this could be fun
                                                Anybody else have some good ones?

See what I mean abt defensive.  I anticipated this hsppening.Comparing it to non related things doesn't actually prove anything.  While gossiping and overeating are wrong too, they're both linked to everyday activities that are necessary (eating and communication). You don't have to drink alcohol to live, do you¿

And tbh does  a drunk  or alcoholic start out downing a pint? No, little things become big ones, as we get more accustomed, its easier to go further and further down the path. To point out,  my ( non-christian) grandmother became a serious alcoholic, to the point shed drink rubbing alcohol if she couldn't get rum. How'd she start out, my drinker grandfather would bring home alcohol and give her some. So....... Seeing there are verses about making provision for the flesh and the appesrsce of evil,why even run the risk

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I don't drink because why take a chance on it.  I've seen what alcohol can do to some people....really ruin their lives or create family problems.  While I don't condemn anyone, I don't think it's wise to take a chance on alcohol.

I had a neighbor, a nurse...she was an alcoholic and sober for a good many years.   Then after a surgery, she started drinking again.   She wasn't eating, I would go down to try to get her to drink some fruit smoothies I made.   Then she nearly burned her apartment up so she got evicted.  The owners of this building at that time had pity on her and let her stay in a small room they had.

However, she was so out of it, that she went to living on the streets.  She would panhandle and much, much worse.   She often ended up in the hospital but as soon as they would release her to a nursing home or halfway house,  she would go back to live on the street.   Finally, years ago she disappeared....we think she might have died.

The way she started to drink was when her family moved to Argentina when she was a child....and they would drink wine with their meals.  If she would never have taken that first drink....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

34 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

See what I mean abt defensive.  I anticipated this hsppening.Comparing it to non related things doesn't actually prove anything.  While gossiping and overeating are wrong too, they're both linked to everyday activities that are necessary (eating and communication). You don't have to drink alcohol to live, do you¿

And tbh does  a drunk  or alcoholic start out downing a pint? No, little things become big ones, as we get more accustomed, its easier to go further and further down the path. To point out,  my ( non-christian) grandmother became a serious alcoholic, to the point shed drink rubbing alcohol if she couldn't get rum. How'd she start out, my drinker grandfather would bring home alcohol and give her some. So....... Seeing there are verses about making provision for the flesh and the appesrsce of evil,why even run the risk

You missed it, cm. I played devils advocate. Exposing hypocrisy. I defend honesty, not Pharisaic  judgement. I notice the tendency of many to abstain from those outward visible "detestable lifestyles " seems to give so many a sense of pride. My father was alcoholic all my life, to the grave. I had no relationship, whatever. I do understand. My point, is simply, in most churches, drunkenness is not an issue. Why I ask about do you know more drunks, or overweight, or gossipers or judgemental's etc. Gluttony, backbiting, judging, gossiping, etc are tolerated, or simply accepted.  Even that I believe is not the biggest church problem. Materialism. Both parents  employed to afford to keep up with the Jones's home and neighborhood  big screen etc, kids raised by the day care, or gov schools, hectic pace. Then later, the broken marriages, divorce rate matching the lost.
We tend to focus on the outward. God focuses on the inward. (Which will change the outward)

Mat 23:27-28  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.  Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

My input is a difficult one, as i'd really like to separate myself from my bias. 

I look on alcohol with rather extreme distaste, a look I realise is unreasonable, due to previous unpleasant experiences. I would much rather avoid going into detail, but suffice it to say, I want nothing to do with alcohol or people who are currently drinking alcohol. They're fine so long as they haven't had a sip, mind, I just don't want to be around the drink at all. That's what makes it difficult though; I don't wish to be unreasonable.

That being the case, i'd most certainly buy into the other posts here saying that a person should never touch the stuff. It seems to be a slippery slope, one which many are unable to not slip down. There are the exceptions though. Plenty of folks just enjoy a glass of wine here and there, maybe just a social drinker who only has one can, you name it. A select few who can control themselves quite well, and I take no issue with that, so long as i'm not present (again, I want nothing to do with it).

The way I see things - If you can help it, you probably should. If there's room for improvement, why hold back? That mindset applies to many things, if not all of them.

Edited by dr3032
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Well the Bible makes it clear that getting drunk is wrong.. But drinking in moderation is not declared wrong in the Bible..

Some denominations have simply created a tradition of total alcohol avoidance and preach it like it is a central doctrine of the Bible,  when it is not..

Yes some people have a built in great weakness with alcohol and they should never ever drink.. Alcohol is very destructive to them and their families..

But that is a minority of people who are that way..  The Majority can drink alcohol without losing self control..

Some people develop an addiction to it some people don't.

People who start drinking and find they cannot stop will know within the first few sessions they should totally stop drinking then and there..

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  24,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.74
  • Days Won:  157
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

I live in a smallish town that is famous for its high quality wines (its also known for making the best coffee in South Africa :) ). It's a big industry here. 

To each his own. I personally like wine tasting (I tend to like a good shiraz) and I drink champagne on special occasions. I can understand why people would be careful and I certainly wont insist on drinking if I was with people who are sensitive to such things.  The thing is I tend view alcoholic drinks from the perspective of a connoisseur. It goes with bread, chocolate, cheese  and good food and coffee afterwards. Things you can taste little bits of. I go for quality not quantity. I wouldn't even try cheap things. The irony is that the higher quality wine, for example, tends to have less alcohol. I have never even been tempted to drink more than I can handle. Just giving my perspective for what it's worth. 

The risk varies from person to person and genetics plays a very strong role there. No alcoholics in my family as far as I know. 

• Thumbs Up 2