• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

From the inspired by God the Holy Spirit account by Luke at 7:31-35 ( and also within Matthew's accounts), of what Jesus said in his account of John the baptist:

“To what then shall I compare the people of this generation, and what are they like?  They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling to one another,

“‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
    we sang a dirge, and you did not weep.’

“To what then shall I compare the people of this generation, and what are they like?  They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling to one another,

“‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
    we sang a dirge, and you did not weep.’

For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.”

p.s. From Gill's exposition on the Bible: referencing wisdom is justified by all her children;

But wisdom is justified of all her children. That is, Christ, who is the wisdom of God, and who acted the wise part, in behaving in such a free manner with all sorts of men, and even with publicans and sinners, whereby he became useful to their souls, called them to repentance, converted and saved them: and these are his children, which were given him by the Father; for whose sake he partook of flesh and blood, and whom he redeemed, that they might receive the adoption of children; and to whom, believing in him, he gives power to become the children of God: and these justify him from all such scandalous imputations, and by their lives and conversations show, that the doctrine of Christ is not a licentious one, or leads to libertinism, and indulges men in their carnal sensual lusts and pleasures; but, on the contrary, teaches them to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts, and to live soberly, righteously, and godly: the word "all", is inserted by Luke, which is not in Matthew; signifying, that this is the universal sense and practice of all the real offspring of Christ, the sons of wisdom, who are wise to do good.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Another commentary with different emphasis:

Note the comment describing the perception of John the baptist and why he was also rejected (too unsocial almost like a demoniac).

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Commentary:

31-35. the Lord said, &c.—As cross, capricious children, invited by their playmates to join them in their amusements, will play with them neither at weddings nor funerals (juvenile imitations of the joyous and mournful scenes of life), so that generation rejected both John and his Master: the one because he was too unsocial—more like a demoniac than a rational man; the other, because He was too much the reverse, given to animal indulgences, and consorting with the lowest classes of society. But the children of Wisdom recognize and honor her, whether in the austere garb of the Baptist or in the more attractive style of his Master, whether in the Law or in the Gospel, whether in rags or in royalty, for "the full soul loatheth an honeycomb, but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet" (Pr 27:7).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Debp said:

I don't drink because why take a chance on it.  I've seen what alcohol can do to some people....really ruin their lives or create family problems.  While I don't condemn anyone, I don't think it's wise to take a chance on alcohol.

I had a neighbor, a nurse...she was an alcoholic and sober for a good many years.   Then after a surgery, she started drinking again.   She wasn't eating, I would go down to try to get her to drink some fruit smoothies I made.   Then she nearly burned her apartment up so she got evicted.  The owners of this building at that time had pity on her and let her stay in a small room they had.

However, she was so out of it, that she went to living on the streets.  She would panhandle and much, much worse.   She often ended up in the hospital but as soon as they would release her to a nursing home or halfway house,  she would go back to live on the street.   Finally, years ago she disappeared....we think she might have died.

The way she started to drink was when her family moved to Argentina when she was a child....and they would drink wine with their meals.  If she would never have taken that first drink....

exactly. ..

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,165
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

6 hours ago, dr3032 said:

My input is a difficult one, as i'd really like to separate myself from my bias. 

I look on alcohol with rather extreme distaste, a look I realise is unreasonable, due to previous unpleasant experiences. I would much rather avoid going into detail, but suffice it to say, I want nothing to do with alcohol or people who are currently drinking alcohol. They're fine so long as they haven't had a sip, mind, I just don't want to be around the drink at all. That's what makes it difficult though; I don't wish to be unreasonable.

That being the case, i'd most certainly buy into the other posts here saying that a person should never touch the stuff. It seems to be a slippery slope, one which many are unable to not slip down. There are the exceptions though. Plenty of folks just enjoy a glass of wine here and there, maybe just a social drinker who only has one can, you name it. A select few who can control themselves quite well, and I take no issue with that, so long as i'm not present (again, I want nothing to do with it).

The way I see things - If you can help it, you probably should. If there's room for improvement, why hold back? That mindset applies to many things, if not all of them.

:amen:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

During my misspent youth, I piled up 3 DWI’s........should have had 3000.If one enjoys paying fines, having super- high insurance premiums and spending nights in jail , drinking is great.Its only by the Grace of God that I did not kill myself or somebody else.One is wise to stay away from the stuff altogether.If you choose otherwise , don’t be the idiot I was.For everyone’s sake,don’t get behind the wheel.Just remembered the motto of my old DWI class—— “ if you drink, that’s YOUR business, if you drink and drive, that’s EVERYBODY’S business”......wise words.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

36290260_10211919303593418_1529977439436931072_o.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Days Won:  21

My personal opinion - drinking in moderation isn't a sin but it's something that a believer should practice wisely, if they practice it at all. We're encouraged to not be a stumbling block to those around us, so if in the company of others (especially those I know have had an issue with alcohol, those who feel it's a sin, or those young in the faith) I typically will not drink. If I know the person well and know that they also feel a liberty to have a drink from time to time that's a different story. However, I can't even remember the last time I had a drink, it's not something I do often nor something I desire on a regular basis. I attend a church with a very strict view on drinking, that even a sip is a sin. I do think it can be a slippery slope and if one knows they have an addictive personality it's probably wise to just stay clear of any alcohol. 

Just my two cents, y'all be blessed. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

2 hours ago, TheAimes said:

My personal opinion - drinking in moderation isn't a sin but it's something that a believer should practice wisely, if they practice it at all. We're encouraged to not be a stumbling block to those around us, so if in the company of others (especially those I know have had an issue with alcohol, those who feel it's a sin, or those young in the faith) I typically will not drink. If I know the person well and know that they also feel a liberty to have a drink from time to time that's a different story. However, I can't even remember the last time I had a drink, it's not something I do often nor something I desire on a regular basis. I attend a church with a very strict view on drinking, that even a sip is a sin. I do think it can be a slippery slope and if one knows they have an addictive personality it's probably wise to just stay clear of any alcohol. 

Just my two cents, y'all be blessed. 

You  just described me. Word for word the same

God bless

MIke  M

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Days Won:  21