appy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

I do think it is a mistake to declare that one's self has reached perfection in this lifetime and that they no longer face temptations. We live in a fallen world and because of such, we still face temptations. Yesterday morning, someone brought up in chat on how to deal with temptations and sin. I was ready to hit the hay at that hour. Not much of an excuse for giving a half answer to the question. We can't totally reach perfection in this life time but we can be assured that the Holy Spirit will be there with us to help us along the way.

Repentance means to change our minds and attitudes and actions towards sin. Giving thought to how God feels about it and lining up ours with God's thoughts about it. And agreeing with God.

Don't be afraid or ashamed to ask for God's help and forgiveness each and every time you stumble. Tell him all about it and your desire for change. God's word is our shield as well as a sword. Spend time each day reading God's word and as you absorb his word into your heart and mind it will replace the old thinking and attitudes in you and change your heart and mind towards the sinful thoughts and desires. As you go about your day and when temptations come, the Holy Spirit will remind you of what God's word says about a temptation or situation you are facing and will lead you to a solution. As you submit to those reminders and solutions from the Holy Spirit, you will find yourself with time that you are exercising more and more self control as well as the other fruits of the Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, appy said:

I do think it is a mistake to declare that one's self has reached perfection in this lifetime and that they no longer face temptations. We live in a fallen world and because of such, we still face temptations. Yesterday morning, someone brought up in chat on how to deal with temptations and sin. I was ready to hit the hay at that hour. Not much of an excuse for giving a half answer to the question. We can't totally reach perfection in this life time but we can be assured that the Holy Spirit will be there with us to help us along the way.

Repentance means to change our minds and attitudes and actions towards sin. Giving thought to how God feels about it and lining up ours with God's thoughts about it. And agreeing with God.

Don't be afraid or ashamed to ask for God's help and forgiveness each and every time you stumble. Tell him all about it and your desire for change. God's word is our shield as well as a sword. Spend time each day reading God's word and as you absorb his word into your heart and mind it will replace the old thinking and attitudes in you and change your heart and mind towards the sinful thoughts and desires. As you go about your day and when temptations come, the Holy Spirit will remind you of what God's word says about a temptation or situation you are facing and will lead you to a solution. As you submit to those reminders and solutions from the Holy Spirit, you will find yourself with time that you are exercising more and more self control as well as the other fruits of the Spirit.

Very well said, appy.    Psa_119:11  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. When temptations show up in me, I recognize them, as I have God's TRUE data "hid in my heart" to remind me, and I simply reply to myself, "that's sin" And move on. Don't try to analyze it. Sometimes (most times)the assault comes right back, immediately, relentlessly. That's time to go to "Resist, and he will flee". I do know, God is Light, and His word is true, and His promises are faithful.
I am calling upon God's help all day long Pro 3:5-6  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
No, I haven't arrived yet, and won't this side of glory. I'm still running the race.
I know who I was in the past. I know whose I am now. It is only by God, His word, His spirit, and Jesus Christ, and Him crucified!                           Changed thinking............

Edited by Gary Lee
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

41 minutes ago, appy said:

Thanks for the encouragement! I think that a very important component that many of us Christians can often neglect is the need for community and accountability. So many of us walk our Christian life alone, because we don't trust in others or we feel superior to others, but the Bible calls us to walk out our faith in community. I think of James 5:16 which tells us to confess our sins one to another so that we may be healed. Surely, just as the Holy Spirit enables us to say no to sin and to pursue God in consecration, God also desires to use our brothers and sisters to assist us in our fight against sin and temptation.

God bless you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

42 minutes ago, Andrew Restrepo said:

Thanks for the encouragement! I think that a very important component that many of us Christians can often neglect is the need for community and accountability. So many of us walk our Christian life alone, because we don't trust in others or we feel superior to others, but the Bible calls us to walk out our faith in community. I think of James 5:16 which tells us to confess our sins one to another so that we may be healed. Surely, just as the Holy Spirit enables us to say no to sin and to pursue God in consecration, God also desires to use our brothers and sisters to assist us in our fight against sin and temptation.

God bless you.

As members of the Body of Christ, we are therefore members of each other. Your sin is my sin, and visa versa. How then can one member ignore another? We cannot if truly in the Body of Christ.

Romans 12:5 New King James Version (NKJV)

so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.

1 Corinthians 12:12-27 New King James Version (NKJV)

Unity and Diversity in One Body

12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink [a]into one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.

15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18 But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. 19 And if they were all one member, where would the body be?

20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no [b]schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.

Cheers and :amen:

• Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

23 minutes ago, Yowm said:

'Feeling' tempted and then falling for it usually follows this progression...

James 1:14-15 NKJV
[14] But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. [15] Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

Confession to God ideally should be made between vs14 and 15.

:amen: That's a good point. It is best to turn to God right away for help to prevent caving in to sin (which is notorious for bringing us heartache, in addition to grieving God's Holy Spirit.)

A good scripture promise on this is:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

17 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

:amen: That's a good point. It is best to turn to God right away for help to prevent caving in to sin (which is notorious for bringing us heartache, in addition to grieving God's Holy Spirit.)

A good scripture promise on this is:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

I have used up my "Likes" for today, so just wanted to say Thank You for your input TurtleTwo!:rolleyes:

BTW, how are TurtleOne and Three? :)

Cheers!

Edited by RockyMidnight
  • Haha 2