Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Are there any others that often see humor in various things?   I don't believe in constantly joking about things, that can get a bit obnoxious....but sometimes I will see or hear something, and it just makes me laugh.

Maybe I inherited this from my dear Christian grandma....she would sometimes see things that might upset someone else, but she would just laugh about it!

One time I remember as a child, my parents and I went to the movies.   There was a very dramatic scene in the movie with some old lady in a rocking chair sitting on top of a truck, I think.   Anyhow, that just struck my mother and I as being funny....and you know when you aren't supposed to laugh and you are trying to hold your laughter in....well, that makes it harder to stop laughing!   Everyone else in the movie theater was so silent about this sad scene and mom and I were almost bursting out with laughter!   We kept trying to stop laughing and it just got funnier and funnier to us!

I can't remember the movie....anyone else remember an old lady in a rocking chair on top of a truck?!:emot-eyes:

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

46 minutes ago, Debp said:

I can't remember the movie....anyone else remember an old lady in a rocking chair on top of a truck?!

What comes to mind is "Granny" from the Beverly Hillbillies. :emot-eyes:

I joke with people incessantly, almost to the point of it bordering on obnoxious sometimes. But it's a better way to express my emotional side than to get heated as I occasionally do, for as the scripture says, "Laughter doeth good like a medicine." It can make an otherwise cruddy day come alive for me. So find humor in as much of life as you possibly can, I say. It can also make a marriage great, as well as other family relationships and friendships. Very hard not to have a good relationship with someone when you are constantly making each other laugh.

Thanks for the good post!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

I tend to be the same.  I think I get it from my dad.  We're often serious but laugh at things most people wouldn't.

I recall as a teen (on a dairy farm) my dad and I were trying to catch a heifer to breed.  This was in a cow yard with an old barn.  After an hour or so, we managed to get her trapped in the barn (which had two doors).  My dad stood by one door with a rope with a lasso on the end and I went into the old barn (which had about a foot or two of manure to wade through) to drive her toward my dad.  It worked.  My dad got the rope on her neck but she spooked like crazy, ran back through the barn dragging my dad with her.  He kept up for a few steps, stumbled forward, and then refused to let go as she dragged him face first through the manure.  He eventually let go.  He got up laughing and said, "I bet that was funny to watch".

I recall I was helping a land lord change the bath tub drain trap in a place we were renting.  It was old and stuck so as he started torquing on it with a pipe wrench, I tried to hold the pipes from bending too badly.  The drain trap was old and rusty and broke apart dumping the entire contents onto my head.  I started laughing.  I recall our land lord was looking at me with wide eyes (probably expecting an explosion of some sort).  Once he saw my reaction, he started laughing too.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, Hidden In Him said:

What comes to mind is "Granny" from the Beverly Hillbillies. :emot-eyes:

The old generation folks had ' Chutzpah'

Granny.jpg.77ca884e76ae52d88f51c152c0578998.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

I've been told I have a strange sense of humor by some, especially when it comes to British humor. Spending a lot of time in the UK, Australia, and other places can do that. On to the story:

We went to a revival meeting at a local church (non-religious home - dad couldn't come up with a good excuse to get out of it.) The guest speaker was an American missionary and as I look back he was a pretty decent preacher. He did at least keep 12 year old me from falling asleep. His wife was supposed to play piano for the service, but she was feeling "under the weather" and wouldn't be playing that night. The entire church erupted in laughter at this point - because in that part of West Australia at the time being "under the weather" meant you were dead drunk. It was hilarious given this was a denom that frowned on drinking any booze at all. Things went on normally after that, but that was a pretty decent way to wake everyone up for the sermon.  :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Talking about funny church incidents: When I was being born, my dad had to go into a Pentecostal church to get my grandma (my mom's mother).   My dad was raised Catholic and by the time he married my mom, he wasn't going to any church.   So according to my mother, dad got quite the fright as grandma's Pentecostal church was quite lively to say the least!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

If it was a sad scene it might have been from the Grapes of Wrath, but the scene has been done a few times, some as comedy as in the Griswold's  on  National Lampon's Vacation.

16 hours ago, Debp said:

Are there any others that often see humor in various things?   I don't believe in constantly joking about things, that can get a bit obnoxious....but sometimes I will see or hear something, and it just makes me laugh.

Maybe I inherited this from my dear Christian grandma....she would sometimes see things that might upset someone else, but she would just laugh about it!

Sure! Twenty years in the funeral/cemetery business, one's sense of humor can get pretty warped.

We had a cranky old Scotsman that led the funeral processions into the cemetery and then led the pallbearers and casket to the gravesite  using on a hand cart  with a long handle to led the procession across the long lawn hillside areas to the interment sites. He would be in front steering pulling along  at the leading steering handle.

It was a hot day, he was in his company wool green coat in the hot sun, and we the funeral directors were the pallbearers. As we walked along pulling this heavy casket along the hillside he muttered back to us, "hey can't you guys ever pull? This is heavy you know!" 

To which  I replied, "hey if you take a look back we are all just riding this casket."

With that he totally collapsed in convulsive snorts of laughter, dang near choked himself to death on the spot. We all started  muffled laughter too. Fortunately, the family and their friends were quite far behind us because of the harsh terrian we were crossing. We all recovered our proper deportment before we reached the interment site for the committal service.

We had never ever seen the Scotsman laugh before nor after, never at breaks the coffee pot and lunch area. He was always a grumbling. We even called him affectionately "Grumbles". He enjoyed being the old grumbler.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

4 hours ago, Debp said:

Talking about funny church incidents: When I was being born, my dad had to go into a Pentecostal church to get my grandma (my mom's mother).   My dad was raised Catholic and by the time he married my mom, he wasn't going to any church.   So according to my mother, dad got quite the fright as grandma's Pentecostal church was quite lively to say the least!

Several of my friends always say that you won't have a problem staying awake during a Pentecostal church service because there's too much going on!  :laugh: 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Debp said:

Another one- shared at my own expense.

I was on the phone with a most concerned family member. The family was in dispute as to what to inscribe on an  urn for  their mother's cremated remains.  This one family member wanted to know  of the security of mom's remains while they disputed, as this had gone on for months. We had talked for over a half hour, and I responded "Do not worry we have your mother's remains kept  securely in our fireproof vault."

Even as I said it, it dawned on me oh wow. And the rest of the staff in the office went nuts with laughter. The motto for most everything after that one, for a long time, became, "don't worry it's in the fire proof vault".

Edited by Neighbor
  • Haha 1