IGNORED

What is the bibles view on having an unmarried couple living under the same roof as a Christian.I am the Christian and my brother and his girlfriend are homeless and not married ,would Jesus have me take them in?

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Should I let my unmarried brother and his girlfriend ,who are homeless live with me.What would Jesus do

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,073
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

There is usually much more to contemplate than just their relationship as to the decision....    you shouldn't base to let them stay just on this one thing....   If it is the only negative thing in the mix, I personally could not let my brother live on the street.   You don't have to accept your brother's relationship as good to let them move in.

What would Jesus do.....    life is way to complex to know that. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

1 hour ago, Sherry B said:

Should I let my unmarried brother and his girlfriend ,who are homeless live with me.What would Jesus do

If they are NOT Christians, then the answer is relatively easy. You are not to judge them on their low moral standards (I Corinthians 5:12) but show kindness to them. I would give them a temporary home until they can sort their own accommodation out.

If they ARE Christians, it's trickier, and I think people will disagree on the best course of action. I think it partly depends on the past history of your relationship with your brother (does he know where you stand?), the nature of his relationship with his girlfriend (how committed are they, is marriage a possibility?) and the reason for their homelessness. You will need to pray about it and ask for God's will in this particular situation.

We've had to face a similar question: should we allow my husband's sister (who is a medium and spiritualist) to stay at our house? And my husband and I disagreed: he thought not under any circumstances, whereas I was prepared to allow her to come in an emergency but not as a stopping-off place on her way to a mediums' conference.

I'm not sure that there is a clear right or wrong answer. God could use your welcome to speak to them - but He could also use your refusal. Whatever you decide, commit the situation to Him.

• Loved it! 1

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, Sherry B said:

Find them separate housing or places to stay.   Your pastor might have resources and may know of ways to help them find separate places to stay.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

12 minutes ago, Yowm said:

If they were into robbing banks or holding up grannys you take them in just because they are not Christian?? Pleeezz.

If they were robbing banks it would be my citizen's duty to hand them over to the police. (That would also solve their accommodation problem)

But fornication isn't illegal. So why should unbelievers not do it? I might be able to persuade them that it's a bad idea for all kinds of reasons (and I could try), but the bottom line is that they don't submit to God's authority in anything. If that's a reason for not helping them, then we shouldn't be helping any unbelievers (because sexual sins are no different from any other type of sin) in any way.

Taking in just one might well be an option, depending on the nature of their relationship (what if they've been cohabiting for ten years and she's pregnant? - bit different to a relationship that's only been in existence for a few weeks)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Interesting how a discussion from a couple needing help led to pedophiles, bank robbers, and gossipers.

As a Christian, the first question before judging them is likely to figure out what would be best for them to get out of their situation.  That might involve moving to a Christian homeless shelter to start a program to get on their feet again, or it could mean they move in with you for a short time until they can become independent.  You'll have to choose what you think it best for them, but I'd encourage you to talk to some pastors and counselors at Christian homeless shelters to see what they think before deciding.   The reason they are homeless may involve other issues that greatly affect the best options going forward.   I'd encourage you to pray and see what guidance you receive on if and how you are directed to help.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

First things first; do you have the right to add residents to your dwelling place? If you are leasing you most likely do not have that right. And end of discussion.

If you own your residence, you may have home owner deed restrictions against multiple families living there, ( That generally includes relatives that are not your direct dependents) and again end of story.

How many vehicles will you end up with at the residence? That too could be  restricted.

Why are they homeless? Why does not the girlfriend go to her relatives for help? Are they using illegal drugs? Do they smoke and if so how do they afford their habit? Are they unemployed? 

How long will they be dependent upon your financial ability to pay for their food, water, electric usage, even toilet paper and personal hygiene supplies? They are not air ferns, Your household expenses will go way up!

There is good reason for the adage of Ben Franklin "Guests like fish begin to smell after three days"! How many agencies have they already gone through for help, have they used up their welcome elsewhere? How?

What would our Lord and savior do?  I do not think He will enable them even now. If you do instead, well that is your business.

As for me I would pray for confirmation that I should give as much as I am able to give in the way of food and  money, but not share of my dwelling. For I  certainly will not want to end up with a brother and a later  newly pregnant girlfriend  asking me for money for an abortion.

I simply see no good coming from housing even a brother and his friend under the circumstance described.

I would see it as simply a very bad business proposition being presented to me by a relative, and decline to even consider it further. But again I will give food and modest  sum of cash money if I have it ( Not as a loan but simply as a sharing a gift ).

I will not co-sign anything at all, not a lease not a loan. As for my Lord I will pray,  that He will see my own choices as being made in a manner that will be used to turn my brother and his friend about to their own repentance. I will pray that He will use my decision  to good. 

Edited by Neighbor