• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

PS,  I don't care what the pope or world leaders say about ya lady kay .   I LOVES YA .      You sleep on that too .   You loved .   

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

17 hours ago, LadyKay said:

So I have read that some of you complain that you have been unable to find a real Bible beliving church. So much so that some of you choose to not attend church because you do not feel they are doing what is right. So I was wondering, for those of you who feel this way;if you could share what you have seen these churches do to make you think they are not a Bible beliving church? There will be no argument from me about whatever you say. I am just interesting to hear why you feel the way you do. Also no need to name the church. I don't want anyone to feel offended.   

My family tried out several churches last year.  Below are a few characteristics encountered, each from a separate church.

1. One sermon was a 'life lesson' from the pastor that made sense but had no basis in the bible.  Repeat each Sunday.
  2. One service was 90 minutes long but included only a few minutes of reading bible verses.  There was no discussion or lesson.  Most of the service was singing or asking for tithes.
  3. One church explained a complicated process to join and that screened out many people that weren't married, were divorced, had 'inappropriate' histories, etc.  The service was very ritualistic and the message was difficult to understand in all the rituals.
  4. One service involved a detailed scripture discussion with a classroom style question and answer part, but the discussion and answers involved much added content and interpretation beyond the bible
  5. One service was very friendly, charismatic, and as loud as many rock concerts.  The message was very emotional and bible based, but the volume was too painful.

We did find a bible based church eventually, but it took some searching.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

17 hours ago, LadyKay said:

So I have read that some of you complain that you have been unable to find a real Bible beliving church. So much so that some of you choose to not attend church because you do not feel they are doing what is right. So I was wondering, for those of you who feel this way;if you could share what you have seen these churches do to make you think they are not a Bible beliving church? There will be no argument from me about whatever you say. I am just interesting to hear why you feel the way you do. Also no need to name the church. I don't want anyone to feel offended.   

Hmm . . . okay, I'll have a go. Quick background first: I grew up in a military family and we moved every few years, so I practically grew up everywhere but the US. That includes the UK, Germany, Australia when I was a kid. I spent just under 15 years in the US Air Force and again went all over the world - but as a believer by then. This is a short version, so forgive me if things aren't as clear as they might be.

What makes a non-Bible believing church? Any church that is not following what we find in the Bible as far as how we as believers should live and serve the Lord and each other. I don't have an exact definition for that since we're all at different places in our walks with the Lord. The Bible leaves a lot of room for NT worship, and I think God had a reason for that. I have been to worship services in many countries and when the Lord is honored you know it. That includes a sermon I once heard in a cathedral all the way to the gatherings we would have on deployments wherever we could find the time or place to do so. Garages, aircraft hangars, maintenance shops, open fields, aboard a ship at sea, the place doesn't really matter as much as the people because the people are the church, not the building. That feeling of something being "off" can be an alarm bell depending on how well you know your Bible. Truth exposes error. In the end its all about Jesus anyway. It all boils down to who gets the glory.

A couple of examples: I visited a church where the biggest concern wasn't the folks dying without Christ outside, but the color of the carpet to buy. I was somewhat shocked to find that many in that church were also blatantly racist. Another congregation I attended for over 2 years went "seeker friendly" and watered down the gospel. When I asked about it I was told, "We like the numbers and we're going with this." While looking for a new church after a move I checked out one church that fully condoned the gay lifestyle - while ignoring what the Bible says on the subject. And on it goes . . . and its not getting better either. The last time I had to change churches it took about a year and a half to find the one I go to now. While I may not agree with them on everything, there is the preaching of the Bible (as the Word of God,) the sacraments, and the fellowship of believers without which I don't do so well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,271
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

4 hours ago, bryan said:

My family tried out several churches last year.  Below are a few characteristics encountered, each from a separate church.

1. One sermon was a 'life lesson' from the pastor that made sense but had no basis in the bible.  Repeat each Sunday.
  2. One service was 90 minutes long but included only a few minutes of reading bible verses.  There was no discussion or lesson.  Most of the service was singing or asking for tithes.
  3. One church explained a complicated process to join and that screened out many people that weren't married, were divorced, had 'inappropriate' histories, etc.  The service was very ritualistic and the message was difficult to understand in all the rituals.
  4. One service involved a detailed scripture discussion with a classroom style question and answer part, but the discussion and answers involved much added content and interpretation beyond the bible
  5. One service was very friendly, charismatic, and as loud as many rock concerts.  The message was very emotional and bible based, but the volume was too painful.

We did find a bible based church eventually, but it took some searching.

The pastor I mentioned that said the Bible was proven wrong....he once had people in the congregation write their questions down and instead of a sermon, he read each question and answered them.   He didn't answer any of the questions using Scripture!!  He gave his own thoughts which were not based on Scripture.    I felt sorry for the people who had asked the questions....like one person asked what happens after we die.   Another person asked if it's ok to go to a medium!!   He didn't have any idea what happens after death and said so.   He gave a wish-washy answer about the medium.... didn't say the Bible condemns such practices or that it's dangerous.   Those two questions I still remember....

I went to one church that had young people.  When I exited the subway way across the large intersection from the church, I heard all of this racket/noise.  I thought oh I hope that's not coming from the church!   It was!!   The music was so loud that I waited in the lobby until it was over...still so loud but would have been loud on the street, too!   So that was the only time I went there.

I do want to say that there are still good churches and godly pastors, but hard to find in my neighborhood.

Edited by Debp
Added thought.
  • Praying! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,355
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:12 AM, LadyKay said:

It is our belief, as the scriptures have said, And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Weather it be in or outside any Church, Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 20For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. 

• Praise God! 1

Well, i am amazed at the number of people who consider themselves Christiansat our church who do not feel they need to bother to read the Bible. 

To me it is vital! The Word and voice of God is my sustenance daily. 

I am not particularly happy at our church but i need some fellowship each week. I just wish people didn't gossip so much there. Wasting time. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, LadyKay said:

some of you complain that you have been unable to find a real Bible beliving church.

I can't find people in churches who value the bible, even the pastors.

2 Peter chapter 3 verse 18

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

Titus chapter 1 verse 16

They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.