turtletwo

Do you like poetry?

* This one I wrote, for my husbands birthday a year or two ago:-

What do I Truly See?

A man in his dotage?
Is this what I see?
Is this what I see, when I look at ‘Thee’?
Oh no! Not me!
For you are a ‘Man’,
Weathered by circumstance, 
And shaped by time,
Into a jewel with facets fair.
Each one when illuminated by the light,
Reveal something, previously hidden
In which to delight!
A man in his dotage?
Oh, No! Not ‘Thee’.

Thank you for listening, I hope you enjoy them.

Chris

• Loved it! 1

3 hours ago, Christine said:

Hello there,

I am not a poetry writer, but wrote this one day when trying to show my grandson, then aged seven, how to begin to write a poem for his school project. I told him to just look out of his bedroom window and write down what he saw.

The View From My Window

When I stand upon a chair 
and look outside my window,
I see a view that is broad and long,
With a breadth of sky that would inspire a song,
Green fields, woodland, sea and ships,
and places to eat fish and chips!

Power station chimneys, and dockland sprawl
Dawn upon my vision barely at all,
These are all distant and covered with haze
And do not injure my dreaming gaze.
Tankers and sailing ships, Oh, yes! I see those.
Binoculars at the ready, standing on my toes.

The length and breadth of the clear blue sky, 
Lift my spirit when I want to cry.
Causes me to think of distant horizons
The people who inhabit other environs.
That life does not consist of constantly doing, but being,
All that is encapsulated in what I am seeing.

The love of my family
The care that they show,
Even if I only stub my toe,
Matters more than the trappings of luxury fair
All that concerns me is that they are there.

-----------------

*Thank you for inviting me along, @turtletwo. It was difficult to find.
Within the love of Christ our Saviour.
Chris

:)So happy to have you, Chris!! ( :b: Oops. I apologize for confusing you on the location, though.) I invited you to the Songs Of Praise Poetry Club. But to get to it- you go to the upper right hand of the Worthy forums list page and click on the square icon with the white bars. (It is right next to the magnifying glass icon used for searches.) That bar icon lists the Clubs (and is in the same place the pm, notifications bell and 'sign-out' are at.) 

Sigh. I wish it were out in the open on the forum index page (where it shows My Clubs beneath them.) But it's in an obscure place. Here's the link. I HOPE I inserted it alright. I'm technologically challenged. lol.

What a treasure are these wonderful poems you have shared today! Each one of them spoke to me in a unique way... I love this one because it takes you on an adventure through a window. A cool concept. Getting lost in the sights beyond where you are. It makes me think of a childhood poem from Robert Louis Stevenson called "Foreign Lands."

Imho, I definitely see you as a poet. (I started writing over 45 years ago and have done it on and off over the decades. So take my observations for what they are worth. Hope they count:) (a little bit, anyhow.) Your vivid imagination and handling of words are gifts from God. I enjoy both your writing style and the meat of what you have to say. There is such a rich MEANING that shines forth. For example, the heart of it (what matters most) is expressed well in these poignant lines:

The length and breadth of the clear blue sky, 
Lift my spirit when I want to cry.
Causes me to think of distant horizons
The people who inhabit other environs.
That life does not consist of constantly doing, but being,
All that is encapsulated in what I am seeing.

The love of my family
The care that they show,
Even if I only stub my toe,
Matters more than the trappings of luxury fair
All that concerns me is that they are there.

:thumbsup: I LOVE IT, CHRIS! Hope to hear more from you ( your originals and Christian stuff by others.) The owner is ayin jade. She explains through her guidelines about how the club functions. She wants to avoid secular poems, etc. Imo, I see yours as embracing Christian themes ( family, for ex.) But you could pm her to ask, whenever in doubt. She's nice and is an easy going person.:) Here's a link for Guidelines:

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/223844-guidelines/?tab=comments#comment-2822377

Wish I would have done it this way in the first place! Sorry about that, Chris. If you do want to join, you could re post these poems. If it's not too much work for ya...Or if I could figure out how, I'd fix things myself. Maybe if a moderator reads this they could help out? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Christine said:

*I wrote this too, after reading a poem by Wordsworth, about a woman who waited longingly for news of a long lost son.  It had belonged to someone else, who had obviously used it as part of a study of English literature, for it was much marked with notes and jottings.

The Treasury of Thoughts Expressed.

I have been reading through an old book,
much studied and marked by another's hand,
and within it's pages, old and worn,
found thoughts which have humbled me 
and caused me to consider.

Written long ago by a skilled hand,
and a mind tutored by quiet contemplation,
making me aware of all that I have to be thankful for
The ability to see, to hear, to smell and taste,
To appreciate the beauty all around me.

To hear from a loved one in an instant, 
by telephone or text, not having to wait 
for the written word, delivered by man's hand, 
and dependent upon another's feet, 
treading the miles to reach my door. 

Yet, how much more beloved those lines would be
To someone whose heart's longing depended 
on it's delivery, for news of a loved one's state, 
the passage of their days, their thoughts and emotions
whether they lived or died!

How grateful I am for sight and sound, 
for a loved one’s voice heard on a land line.
as I read of that time gone by, when invention 
had not found such aids to communication 
bringing instant gratification and assurance

Yet the lessons that such experience afforded 
to those who lived within those times, 
the waiting and the longing, the wringing of hands,
brought patience and endurance and deeper joy surely,
peace of mind more profound when finally satisfied. 

6th June 2017

THIS poem made me cry. It is so true. We take for granted the ease of communication we have available nowadays. Unless watching an old movie set in a bygone century, we seldom think about how 'less convenient' life once was upon this earth. We have mind boggling technologies they would think of as science fiction. lol. I like the point you made with these words: 

Yet the lessons that such experience afforded 
to those who lived within those times, 
the waiting and the longing, the wringing of hands,
brought patience and endurance and deeper joy surely,
peace of mind more profound when finally satisfied

:amen:That is indeed a thought provoking truth.

But what made me cry the most while reading it is that the modern invention I'd used practically DAILY to keep in touch with my beloved mom (since I couldn't travel to her) was the telephone. She tragically suffered severe brain damage in early March when she stopped breathing and had 20 minutes CPR. Well- the phone does not matter anymore in that she can no longer communicate. I am heartbroken :broken_heart: both for her and my own loss. I miss her so. :emot-crying: Your poem touched me, Chris.

• Praise God! 1

* I get accused of spending for too long on the computer, and this funny little poem appealed to me:-

The Computer Swallowed Grandma'

The computer swallowed grandma
Yes, honestly its true
She pressed 'control' and 'enter'
And disappeared from view.

It devoured her completely
The thought just makes me squirm
She must have caught a 'virus'
Or been eaten by a 'worm.'

I've searched through the 'recycle bin'
And files of every kind
I've even used the 'Internet'
But nothing did I find.

In desperation, I asked Jeeves
My searches to refine
The reply from him was negative
Not a thing was found 'online.'

So if inside your 'Inbox'
My Grandma you should see
Please 'Copy,' 'Scan' and 'Paste' her
And send her back to me!

- Author Unknown -

This poem is hilarious and sooo cute! I shared it with my son who was having a really bad morning and it actually brought a smile to his face.:thumbsup: He got a kick out of it. It made me bust out with a hearty chuckle. :laugh:Thanks for cheering us up by sharing it. (Hey, don't tell anyone, :secret-talk: but I  am that vanishing computer Granny! LOL )

• Loved it! 1

Hello @turtletwo

I do thank you for taking the time to read, consider, and comment on my entries. Thank you for your kindness, and for sharing something of yourself with me in the process. I have never shared anything like this before with anyone, so I am amazed at the impact they have had upon you, and the personal value you have placed upon them.

I am encouraged to try again, and hope to visit the link you have given me.

Within the love of Christ Jesus our risen Lord

Chris

• Praise God! 1

* I wrote this little piece about my husband:-

A Husbands love is very precious,
More precious than I could know,
When young and newly married
I made the marriage vow.

I would ask, 'do you love me?'
Of a man not used to display.
I did not know that His sure love
Wasn't shown in what He'd say.

His love is real, but practical,
Shown in little deeds done,
In working daily to provide
To secure our future and abide.

How shallow my understanding then,
How very appreciative now,
Age has brought awareness 
Of my need but also of his supply.

Chris

Thanks for posting this personal poem. It makes me think of my dad. He was a lot like that...not given to open displays of affection or what he considered 'mushy' words. Yet in the way he looked after mom and us kids his love was clearly evident. His devotion to the family was undeniable. This poem brought back fond memories of my dad who was such a good provider and made sure us kids were given the things he never had in his sad childhood. Not just the material stuff but family frolicking in the park and priceless childhood fun in the form of picnics, outings, etc. He is gone now for 8 years. I miss him.:( I know he probably can't see down from Heaven but I'd like to think he'd be proud of the way I am looking out for mom. In our American death culture they keep hounding me to pull the plug on her life support. But dad wouldn't want that and I am staying true to mom's end of life promise she had me make to her as POA. Thanks again for sharing with us this sweet poem you wrote about your husband. :)

• Thanks 1

* A poem from childhood, obviously not mine, but author not known.

‘Said the Robin to the Sparrow,
“I should really like to know
Why these anxious human beings
Rush about and worry so.”

Said the Sparrow to the Robin
“Friend, I think that it must be,
That they have no Heavenly Father
Such as cares for you and me.’

This one is a keeper! Based on Matthew 6:26-27 "Look at the birds of the air. They do not sow or gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? Which of you can add a single moment to his lifespan by worrying?" :emot-nod: :amen: 

There was a song based on this poem verse done by Phil Keaggy. Not sure if you know of him? Many have been blessed by his music. He's left a legacy of it since the 1970's. This one was on his acoustic style recording called "What a Day." He titled the song that inserts those poetry lines and the associated scriptures into it " A Time and a Place." Cool song! Hope you check it out. In fact, I will post it for you under the Christian music videos. Hopefully, it will be approved in the near future. :teeth_smile:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Christine said:

* This one I wrote, for my husbands birthday a year or two ago:-

What do I Truly See?

A man in his dotage?
Is this what I see?
Is this what I see, when I look at ‘Thee’?
Oh no! Not me!
For you are a ‘Man’,
Weathered by circumstance, 
And shaped by time,
Into a jewel with facets fair.
Each one when illuminated by the light,
Reveal something, previously hidden
In which to delight!
A man in his dotage?
Oh, No! Not ‘Thee’.

Thank you for listening, I hope you enjoy them.

Chris

A beautiful sentiment! A classy tribute to the depth of character in a beloved husband and the sacred bond of marriage. This makes me think of yet another Phil Keaggy song. It is called "Blessed be the Ties" If you have never heard it, I think you will probably like the message (which is in keeping with your poem, but switches over to talking about our spiritual ties with the Lord.) I will post that one under the video forums for you, too. LOL. I hope you will give it a listen once it posts. Again, it must be approved before it appears as is the video policy at Worthy.

I think you writing a birthday poem for your mate is so neat! I too have written special occasion poems for family members over the years. It is the perfect example of a gift from the heart.

• Praise God! 1

58 minutes ago, Christine said:

Hello @turtletwo

I do thank you for taking the time to read, consider, and comment on my entries. Thank you for your kindness, and for sharing something of yourself with me in the process. I have never shared anything like this before with anyone, so I am amazed at the impact they have had upon you, and the personal value you have placed upon them.

I am encouraged to try again, and hope to visit the link you have given me.

Within the love of Christ Jesus our risen Lord

Chris

Praise the Lord! I am so excited to hear you say this! Yes, your poems did move me and had an impact on me, as you so aptly out it. As a poet, it is always uplifting when you hear your poem ministered to somebody. I sure hope mine will have that effect here at Worthy.

Right now I keep praying more people will discover the poetry club exists. I noticed a new member joined today so that's a good sign. "Slow and steady wins the race" said the tortoise to the hare. :teeth_smile: I guess word of mouth is the best we've got going for us. I have been trying to tell others...

• Loved it! 1