• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

... and then lying about it.

Hey all. I'm a christian and have been for about 15 years now. I never thought in my wildest dreams I'd be facing this temptation, but I am. I just need to talk to some fellow Christians about it, but don't want to talk to the ones that I know because it may impact my ability to serve at church and the like. So diving right in:

I have a well-paid job but it's casual, and I have long stretches of unemployment. I've discovered my workplace is very... porous. People are trusting. Doors are unlocked. There's no security cameras. There are thousands of people at this work place including clients and professionals and the like. It's easy to steal things.

So far I've stolen a few people's credit cards. I don't want to steal from my colleagues. I don't want to steal at all. But my spouse works so hard and try as I might I haven't been able to get a more stable position. So I stolen two credit cards, but I haven't used them yet. My 'victims' have probably found them missing and cancelled them now, which is fine. I just couldn't bring myself to actually use them because I don't want to be a thief (I'm already a thief). I don't want to spend their money (but I won't be, because VISA has a no liability policy so they agree to pay for stolen transactions). I know I've already inconvenienced people as it's horrible to go shopping or whatever and then realize you don't have your card. I know I'm risking my livelihood because if someone sees me then even my casual employment is over. It's not worth the risk, but then when I'm not praying or reading the bible, when I'm lying awake with insomnia, or I'm thinking about how unfair it is they won't give me a permanent job, I think of how easy it would be to get another credit card and use it to fill up my car or buy groceries for the week, or get my spouse a nice birthday present. Then I think about looking at at my spouse's present on a daily basis and I balk at the idea of looking at what I have stolen day in and day out. I swing back and forth.

I have repented but then I have turned back and done it again. I feel like if I don't speak to people then this cycle will wear me down and I will give in. I could lose everything (I could reach my goals so much faster). Money isn't important, but I give so much thought to it because we're so close to needing help. We can get help from family members but they're under financial strain too. It wouldn't be fair on them.

But stealing isn't right. I've read the bible. It's one of the ten commandments (but I'm only stealing from a corporation, not individuals). It dishonors God. I think to myself, "When God made the ten commandments, you couldn't steal from corporations," as if that would make it ok. Of course it doesn't! And I've still stolen from people... so why not do it again and actually profit from it?

This is the junk that goes on and on in my mind.

So myeah. Any support or advice in this area would be much appreciated. Prayers too. Anything. It's really hard to fight this alone, but if I tell people, then there goes their trust for me.

God bless all.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

An alternative to returning the cards is to shred them.  Some businesses that find cards routinely shred them because it is safer than returning them via mail.  But it is important that you get rid of the temptation as a way of repenting.  Then thank God for providing such things as you have--food, shelter, and basic needs.  Jesus didn't even have that much.  He was homeless!  

My husband and I went for many years without giving each other gifts.  When we finally could afford them we gave each other some very nice gifts.  But we always had enough to eat and pay our basic bills, including our tithes.  It was more important to us to give first to the Lord and to live on the rest.  He gave His all to us, including His own Son, so how can we not give back to Him.   In return He gave us contentment with what we have as well as help to find good bargains.  

The source of the temptation is coveting.  So it is really important that you surrender this area of your life to God.  Let God have all your income and be your provider.  He only asks that He be given the tithe--10% of your income.  But it is so rewarding to surrender all our lives to Him, including our possessions.  God loves a cheerful giver.  You may even find that you want to give more to Him as He enables you.  

Heb 13:5  AMP  Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!] [Jos 1:5]

1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain, 1Ti 6:7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.  1Ti 6:8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 1Ti 6:9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Psa 51:9  Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

Psa 51:10  Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Psa 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.  AMEN!

Praying.  We all stumble and fall.  God is able to forgive and restore us as we confess our sins.  He will cleanse us from all unrighteousness and will give us godly attitudes as we surrender every area of our lives to Him.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you all. This is much appreciated, and exactly what I need to hear. God bless to you both.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Good advice given by the others.  I also think it's best to just shred the cards.   Also, besides stealing being plain wrong in God's sight, once a pattern of stealing starts, then people usually go on to steal more and more things.   If a person steals a little item, what's to stop them from stealing other types of things?

Confess it to the Lord, accept your forgiveness and cleansing (1 John 1:9)...and steal no more.