• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, shiloh357 said:

Oy vey is just a way that other posters can express their disagreement without having to commit to an argument.

I spend some time discussing politics on sites that allow any post as long as it is not profane. It is mostly peopled with strong liberals, while I'm so conservative I consider Fox news to be liberal. ;)

Anyway, I got a reputation there for saying "I disagree", as the only words in my post. And slowly they all figured out why I would occasionally use it. I only used it when the other person made an assertion with which I disagree, and didn't back it up with any supporting reason or evidence.

But I always put it in a post so they could respond back. Turns out it was an effective trolling tool.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

Probably better to push that button than type something negative (perceived or otherwise)

• Haha 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Content Per Day:  15.13

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, Still Alive said:

What's kinda funny is that the reason I'm here is that I got a one month ban from another Christian site for using the "haha" button. Serious. They made the argument that I was laughing at a post that wasn't supposed to be funny. Those guys are on too much of a hair trigger so I just left. I really need an adult site where the other posters have as thick a skin as I do.

I got a two year ban for questioning the objectivity of a Moderator at another Christian website.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

11 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I got a two year ban for questioning the objectivity of a Moderator at another Christian website.

I got banned so bad from Vinylengine.com that he not only banned me, but blocked my company's IP address from accessing the site and deleted every post I ever posted over an 11 year period.

So I set up a new account using one of my other 7 gmail accounts and using my phone as a hotspot. I don't have a lot of reason to post there any more, though. It just got boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Content Per Day:  15.13

5 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I got banned so bad from Vinylengine.com that he not only banned me, but blocked my company's IP address from accessing the site and deleted every post I ever posted over an 11 year period.

So I set up a new account using one of my other 7 gmail accounts and using my phone as a hotspot. I don't have a lot of reason to post there any more, though. It just got boring.

I've lost count on how many different email accounts I have.  I've only once used a different account to get to a Christian site I once frequented and found they had become very clickish, and even though I was the same person, I was no longer wanted.  I've only been banned once, and it wasn't from that site.  I left voluntary and secretly ... twice.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

1 hour ago, Mike 2 said:

Probably better to push that button than type something negative (perceived or otherwise)

Mike, I had to try the oy vey. I had a major crush on a Jewish girl in 5th grade and she constantly said, oy vey. As an Italian I always heard Mammamia, so I think they're similar.

• Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  4,212
  • Content Per Day:  1.23

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/699508/jewish/What-Does-Oy-Vey-Mean.htm

What Does “Oy Vey” Mean?

Oy and vey are two very old Jewish interjections which both mean “woe.” Oy is found many times in the Bible (see Numbers 21:29, I Samuel 4:7 and Isaiah 3:11 for a few examples). Vey is newer than oy; it is oy’s Aramaic equivalent.

Today, oy and vey are often used together. Oy vey is the ethnically Jewish way to react when you find out how much your son’s root canal will cost, or when you find out that there is a two-hour wait time for a table at the restaurant where you just arrived.

Sometimes you’ll hear people groan “oy vavoy,” which is Hebrew for “oy vey.”1 Those who prefer Yiddish lamentations will often cry “vey iz mir,” which means “woe is to me.”

Alternatively, some view "oy vey" as being entirely Yiddish (Judeo-German) in origin. In their view, "vey" is a cognate for the English "woe," with "oy" being a general interjection of despair. "Oy vey" would thus be a direct Yiddish parallel to "oh woe."

Let’s pray that G‑d sends us Moshiach already, so we can stop waxing eloquent about our woes and expand our vocabulary of positive interjections!

Footnotes
See Proverbs 23:29, where King Solomon asks, “To whom is oy and to whom is avoy?”

Edited by 1to3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I use oy vey especially after reading a very bad pun, which I genuinely enjoy.  The best and funniest kind of pun is the one that is the worst misuse or distortion of meanings of words, but is still innocuous.