Pure Waters

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Im not sure if its just me but I've seen and heard alot of Christians disliking or even despising the Roman Catholic Church and the Pope in particular.

Are there any valid reasons as to why? Im curious about this.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

I dont think folks hate catholics or the pope but there are a lot of things that are bad about the catholic religion. For starters. they pray to statues. They justify it with all sorts of reasons, but it comes down to praying to statues and praying to dead people who are not God. That goes against what the bible tells us. 

Im about to go to a doctor appt so I cant spend more time responding now. Depending on results, I may or may not feel up to spending time later responding.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

4 hours ago, Pure Waters said:

Pope

I only see the pope as another person.

Hebrews chapter 4 verse 14

14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven,[a] Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.

The pope is just another person.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

We love the ordinary Catholics people. We are not their enemy. We point these things out so they can walk with us in Christ. Anyone who loves Christ hates false doctrine. But instead of hating the false doctrines, they hate us for pointing it out.

The Saints Protested Against The Popes Long Before The Protestant Reformation
This Roman Catholic Beliefs study shows how the saints where protesting against the Popes of Rome long before the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century.

Some Catholics proclaim that the protests against the Popes started with the Protestant Reformation, and that the Protestant Churches aren’t legitimate because they came after the Roman Church.

But that is misleading, as there was no reason for the saints to protest against the Popes until they ascended to power and started teaching concepts which are contrary to Scripture.

The power of the Popes reached a pinnacle in the 12th through 15th centuries, as they attained: independent sovereignty, absolute supremacy over the Christian Church, and full control of the princes of Europe.

Pope Innocent III (1198-1216) said “We may according to the fullness of our power, dispose of the law and dispense above the law. Those whom the Pope of Rome doth separate, it is not a man that separates them but God. For the Pope holdeth place on earth, not simply of a man but of the true God.” (Source: “Decretals of Greogory IX,” Book 1, chapter 3.)

He was the “most powerful of all the Popes.” He claimed to be “Vicar of Christ,” “Vicar of God,” and “Supreme Sovereign over the Church and the World.” He claimed the right to depose Kings and Princes; and that “All things on earth and in Heaven and in Hell — are subject to the Vicar of Christ.”

He brought the Church into supreme control of the State. The Kings of Germany, France, England, and practically all the Monarchs of Europe, obeyed his will. He even brought the Byzantine Empire under his control. Never in history has any one man exerted more power!

Here are more quotes from Pope Innocent III, which caused the saints to protest against Him:

Pope Innocent III declared that nobody can be saved outside of His church and authority:

“With our hearts we believe and with our lips we confess but one Church, not that of the heretics, but the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church, outside which we believe that no one is saved.” (Denzinger 423)

Pope Innocent III prohibited the saints from having the Scriptures:

We prohibit laymen possessing copies of the Old and New Testament. …We forbid them most severely to have the above books in the popular vernacular.” (meaning in their country’s native language, as the Papal Church only allowed their priests to read it in Latin). (Source: The Council of Toulouse, Canon 14)

Pope Innocent III proclaimed that if the saints believes were contrary to the Popes, then they should be burned to death:

Anyone who attempts to construe a personal view of God which conflicts with (Catholic) church dogma must be burned without pity.” (Source: Papal Bull, 1198 A.D.)

Pope Innocent IV convened the First Council of Lyons (1245). Issued the bull Ad extirpanda that permitted the torture of heretics (1252).

Pope Boniface VIII (1294-1303) issued Unam Sanctam (1302) which proclaimed papal supremacy and pushing it to its historical extreme.

Pope Boniface VIII proclaimed that salvation is only through the papacy.

We declare, assert, define and pronounce to be subject to the Roman Pontiff is to every creature altogether necessary for salvation… I have the authority of the King of Kings. I am all in all, and above all, so that God Himself and I, the Vicar of Christ, have but one consistory, and I am able to do almost all that God can do. What therefore, can you make of me but God?” (Papal bull Unam sanctam, 1302 A.D.)

The bull ends, “Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff.”

So the natural response of the saints to the blasphemous proclamations of the Popes, was to protest against them.

Arnulf (991), the Bishop of Orleans, proclaimed the Pope as the Antichrist, sitting in the temple of God, and showing himself as God.

“deplored the roman popes as “monsters of guilt” and declared in a council called by the King of France in 991 A.D. that the pontiff, clad in purple and gold, was, “Antichrist, sitting in the temple of God, and showing himself as God.” (Phillip Schaff, History of the Christian church, 8 vols., reprint of the 3d (1910)ed. (Grand Rapids Mich.: Wm. B Eerdmans Publishing Co., n.d.)

Gherbert of Rheims said that the Pope was the antichrist sitting in the temple of God.

Before the year 1000, Gherbert said of the pope sitting on his lofty throne in gold and purple, that if destitute of charity, he was antichrist sitting in the temple of God.

Berenger said the Roman see to be not the apostolic seat, but the seat of Satan.

In the eleventh century, referring to the Pope’s enforcement at that time of the doctrine of transubstantiation, Berenger affirmed the Roman see to be not the apostolic seat, but the seat of Satan.

Eberhard II (1240), archbishop of Salzburg, affirmed that the Pope was the antichrist.

Stated at a synod of bishops held at Regensburg in 1240 that the people of his day were “accustomed” to calling the pope antichrist.” (LeRoy Edwin Froom, The Prophetic Faith of our Fathers)

The early witnesses were people groups called the Albigenses and Waldenses (called Vaudois in French).

God had entrusted them with preserving His Holy Word, which is why the Papal Church persecuted them so relentlessly.

The Albigenses called the Church of Rome the whore of Babylon.

In the sunny south of France, in Provence and Catalonia, lived the Albigenses, who were bible-believing followers of Christ.

The Albigensian Christians preached against the immoralities of the Roman Catholic priesthood, pilgrimages, worship of saints and idols, opposed the (pompous and pretentious) claims of the Church of Rome; and made great use of the Scriptures. By 1167 they (the Albigensian Christians) were a majority of the population of South France.

The Albigenses “All agreed in regarding the Church of Rome as having absolutely perverted Christianity, and in maintaining that it was she who was designated in the Apocalypse by the name of the whore of Babylon.”

Rome could not endure this testimony; she drew her deadly sword and waged war against those who bore it. The Albigensian Crusade (1209–1229) was a 20-year military campaign initiated by Pope Innocent III to eliminate the Albigenses in the south of France.

In 1229 – The Roman Catholic Inquisition executed 32,000 Bible-believing Albigensian Christians at Toulouse, France – and confiscated all their property!

By the time the Roman Catholic armies finished these “crusades”, almost the entire population of southern France (mostly Albigensian Christians) had been exterminated.

The Waldenses called the Roman Church the harlot of Babylon, and the Papacy, the “man of sin” and “antichrist”.

Peter Waldo (1140-1218) was a rich merchant of Lyons, France, who gave up everything to preach the Gospel. Waldo’s followers called themselves “the Poor in Spirit“.

The Waldensians were orthodox in their beliefs, but they were outside of the organizational structure of the Roman Catholic Church. They traveled in pairs, preaching the Gospel. They were humble people who believed in “apostolic poverty”. They were barefoot, owning nothing, and they shared all things in common.

They were considered to be a threat because they set standards which made many members of the Catholic clergy look bad by comparison. In 1184, Pope Lucius III excommunicated Waldo and his followers.

They were students of prophecy from the oldest times. In the book of Waldensian Pastor Leger called “Treatise on Antichrist” written in 1120, said “That treatise brands the Romish Church as the harlot Babylon, and the Papacy as the “man of sin” and antichrist.”

Waldensian Reinerius Saccho asserted “that the Romish church is not the church of Jesus Christ, but a church of malignants and that it apostatized under Sylvester—and that the Church of Rome is the harlot in the apocalypse.” (The Testimony of The Reformers, E. Bickersteth, 1836, p. 46 from the Testimony of Reinerius Saccho, in 1254)

That was the faith and confession of the Waldenses, for which they were killed by the Papal Church.

Whereupon we, with all our posterity, have to understand what be the reasons and arguments wherewith the antichrist of Rome is wont to uphold the impious seat of his abomination; who now is come to such excess and profundity of all kinds of iniquity, that all justice, equity, and verity being set aside, he seeketh the defence of his cause by no other thing than only by force and violence, terror and oppression, and shedding of blood.” Foxes Book of Martyrs: The Waldensian martyrs in Provence

Where not a few persons, but whole villages and townships, with the most part of all the aforesaid country, both men, women, and children, were put to all kinds of cruelty, and suffered martyrdom for the profession of the gospel.

The history of the persecutions and wars against the people called Waldenses or Waldois, in the valleys of Angrogne, Lucerne, St. Martin, Perouse, and others, in the country of Piedmont, from A.D. 1555, to A.D. 1561.

For who would ever have judged or suspected in his mind, that the bishop of Rome (commonly received, and believed, almost of all men, to be the vicar and vicegerent of Christ here in earth) to be antichrist, and the great adversary of God, whom St. Paul so expressly prophesieth of, in these latter days to be revealed by the brightness of the Lord’s coming, as all men now, for the most part, may see it is come to pass?Foxes Book of Martyrs: The Waldensian martyrs of Peidmont

Michal of Cesena declared the Church of Rome to be the Whore of Babylon.

Michal (1270-1342) who came out of the Franciscan Order of the Catholic Church declared the Pope “to be Antichrist, and the church of Rome to be the whore of Babylon, drunk with the blood of the saints.” Foxes Book of Martyrs, op cit., p. 445

John Wycliffe said Antichrist, the head of all these evil men, is the pope of Rome.

John, (1330-1384), called the Morning Star of the Reformation, spent most of his life teaching at Oxford University and was recognized by John of Guant (The Duke of Lancaster) as extraordinarily gifted in theology. He translated the Latin Vulgate Bible into English and placed it in the hands of the people.

Wycliffe said of the Pope:

When the western church was divided for about 40 years between two rival popes, one in Rome and the other in Avigon, France, each pope called the other pope antichrist – and John Wycliffe is reputed to have regarded them as both being right: “two halves of Antichrist, making up the perfect Man of Sin between them.”

We suppose that Antichrist, the head of all these evil men, is the pope of Rome.” (Ibid, p. 90)

40 years after his death the Roman Catholic Church dug up his bones and had them burned and the ashes were thrown into the river.

Walter Brute was martyred for saying the Pope is the Antichrist.

Walter was a noted scholar, prophetic expositor and associate of Wycliffe.

In 1391 he was accused of saying the pope is antichrist, and a seducer of the people, and utterly against the law and life of Christ, and he was killed for his testimony

http://www.exclassics.com/foxe/foxe84.htm

Matthias of Janow said the Pope is the most wicked Christian, falsely styling himself by that name.

Matthias was a fourteenth-century Bohemian ecclesiastical writer. Matthias came to be known as the Bohemian Wycliffe. He received his doctorate from the University of Paris and in 1381 became the canon in the Cathedral of Prague. His writings paved the way for the Hussite movement.

Janow based his conclusions about the Antichrist on II Thessalonians 2, Daniel 7 and Revelation 13 and 17. Here is one of his statements:

The Antichrist has already come. He is neither Jew, pagan Saracean nor worldly tyrant, but the ‘man who opposes Christian truth and the Christian life by way of deception;—he is, and will be, the most wicked Christian, falsely styling himself by that name, assuming the highest station in the church, and possessing the highest consideration, arrogating dominion over all ecclesiastics and laymen;’ one who, by the working of Satan, assumes to himself power and wealth and honor, and makes the church, with its goods and sacraments, subservient to his own carnal ends.” Froom, PFF, volume 2, p. 40.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

We don't hate Catholics or the Pope.  We just don't agree with the unScriptural teachings of the Catholic church.  They have many teachings which are not in the Bible.

I know a few Catholics....I think some of them here in Los Angeles might not be as indoctrinated as Catholics in other parts of the USA.  For instance, when I lived in the North East, I think they really went by the rituals alot.   Also, back then the Catholic sermons were in Latin so nobody knew what the Bible really taught.

I remember a photo my aunt sent to me from back East.   She was posing in front of some stairs in an old Catholic  church.   The stairs had a chain blocking them from entry.  There was also a sign on the chain, "Holy Stairs." The sign also said you must ascend the stairs each step on your knees!!!

Also, back there, I think they thought if you were not Catholic that you were going to Hell.   Here in Los Angeles, the ones I know don't think that.   One time a Catholic Sister I know who runs a pro-life group asked me to pray for her (in person).   Also, when I had a serious health concern, she prayed for me and I actually received a healing!   So some who are truly trusting Christ as Savior are born again.... it's just their church has unScriptural teachings.   

Edited by Debp
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

20 hours ago, Pure Waters said:

Im not sure if its just me but I've seen and heard alot of Christians disliking or even despising the Roman Catholic Church and the Pope in particular.

I am an ex catholic.. I renounced that religion when i read the Bible for the first time in my early 20's.

I became a Bible believing Christian and am Saved..

I hate catholicism. I hate anything that leads people into deception and away from the Way of salvation that Jesus has secured for us..

This does NOT mean that i hate catholics or the pope.. 

I have family members who are still catholics and i do not hate them i fear for them..

One can hate islam without hating muslims

One can hate atheism without hating atheists

One can hate buddhism or the hinduism or any other religion that leads people away from the salvation of the LORD Jesus Christ.. Again without hating the people ensnared and deceived by those religions..

It is frustrating that many people just cannot perceive that this can be..  I have debated with catholcis and muslims and more often then not they cannot differentiated between a person objecting to their religion and a person objecting to them..  They take opposition to their religion to be a personal attack upon themselves..

The catholic religion is a works salvation religion that denies that the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ secures for one Eternal life with God in his perfect eternal existence..

The catholic religion teaches that taking part in religious ceremonies is essential to salvation and that after death people need to go to a place called purgatory to have their sins purged.. This is a denial of the sufficiency of the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ to pay for all our sins..

There are many other religious practices that are in rebellion against the Word of God.. But the main problem with the catholic religion is that it is a works salvation religion that claims to be a Jesus believing religion and thus deceives a lot of people into thinking it is Christian.. When in fact it is a denial of and is in opposition to Christianity..

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

21 hours ago, Pure Waters said:

I was a 'Roman' Catholic for thirty years. Then I heard the gospel and was saved. Catholic doctrine teaches it is a sin for Catholics to presume they are saved. They do not believe the sacrificial death of Jesus was enough to save us, but must add their own goodness to avoid hell. Maryolitry, purgatory, statues, praying to idols and Mary, confessing sins to priest, priests cannot marry, leading to child abuse, and the list goes on. And the pope is their leader, propagating his evil doctrines. I love all Catholics, as most of my relatives and many friends are Catholic. It is the church hierarchy, priests and bishops, cardinals and popes, that perpetuate the evil doctrine.
If you are 'really actually' seeking truth, purchase the two books below. Cheap on ebay. Cheap as compared to an eternity suffering. What you will read, documented history, will make you ill, if you did not already know. Some things in the books are so perverted, I could not post on this forum.
One last thing. Do you know the Truth Why Pope Benedict Resigned. Just a little search, as to what he allowed as a bishop/cardinal, in dealing with the child molester priests, and the cover up. Do not trust me! Search for yourself.  (If you really want to know the TRUTH)               Chances are most likely, you will not!
I pray that you do.

'Dark History of the Popes' Vice, Murder and Corruption in the Vatican     Hardcover – 2009 by Brenda Ralph Lewis

'Dark History of the Catholic Church': Schisms, Wars, Inquisitions, Witch Hunts, Scandals, Corruption (Dark Histories) -by Michael Kerrigan

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

5 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

I was a 'Roman' Catholic for thirty years. Then I heard the gospel and was saved. Catholic doctrine teaches it is a sin for Catholics to presume they are saved. They do not believe the sacrificial death of Jesus was enough to save us, but must add their own goodness to avoid hell. Maryolitry, purgatory, statues, praying to idols and Mary, confessing sins to priest, priests cannot marry, leading to child abuse, and the list goes on. And the pope is their leader, propagating his evil doctrines. I love all Catholics, as most of my relatives and many friends are Catholic. It is the church hierarchy, priests and bishops, cardinals and popes, that perpetuate the evil doctrine.
If you are 'really actually' seeking truth, purchase the two books below. Cheap on ebay. Cheap as compared to an eternity suffering. What you will read, documented history, will make you ill, if you did not already know. Some things in the books are so perverted, I could not post on this forum.
One last thing. Do you know the Truth Why Pope Benedict Resigned. Just a little search, as to what he allowed as a bishop/cardinal, in dealing with the child molester priests, and the cover up. Do not trust me! Search for yourself.  (If you really want to know the TRUTH)               Chances are most likely, you will not!
I pray that you do.

'Dark History of the Popes' Vice, Murder and Corruption in the Vatican     Hardcover – 2009 by Brenda Ralph Lewis

'Dark History of the Catholic Church': Schisms, Wars, Inquisitions, Witch Hunts, Scandals, Corruption (Dark Histories) -by Michael Kerrigan

I believe alot of weird and dark stuff happens in the secret chambers of the Vatican, I'll check out the books you linked me thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1