I need help with fear!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Since I sarted trying to connect with Christ more, I’ve found myself caught up in incredibly weighty fear, anxiety, and overthinking. I now find myself questioning every action I take and every word I speak and no matter how hard I try I feel like everything I do is somehow sinful (big or small). Like I can’t  play videogames or enjoy leisure time with friends and family anymore because I fear that it’s sinful or that I’m not supposed to. If God wants us to be able to live happily and abundantly and without anxiety...then what am I doing wrong? Is it a lack of faith? Is it double mindedness? Or is this simply how things are meant to be for a struggling believer...any help I can get here would be appreciated. I feel like I can’t figure this out alone and it’s taking a tole on my mental and emotional wellbeing.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Tyler S. said:

Since I sarted trying to connect with Christ more, I’ve found myself caught up in incredibly weighty fear, anxiety, and overthinking. I now find myself questioning every action I take and every word I speak and no matter how hard I try I feel like everything I do is somehow sinful (big or small). Like I can’t  play videogames or enjoy leisure time with friends and family anymore because I fear that it’s sinful or that I’m not supposed to. If God wants us to be able to live happily and abundantly and without anxiety...then what am I doing wrong? Is it a lack of faith? Is it double mindedness? Or is this simply how things are meant to be for a struggling believer...any help I can get here would be appreciated. I feel like I can’t figure this out alone and it’s taking a tole on my mental and emotional wellbeing.  

Happy 4th Tyler! If you are feeling guilty, then these thoughts of yours are not from God, but the father of lies. It is impossible for us to deal with guilt as it can only bring us down. You are guiltless through the blood of Christ, so remind yourself whenever these thoughts arise they no longer belong to you, but to Jesus who took your guilt from you at the cross. This is not saying by any means it's OK to still sin, since you are now a member of the body of Christ. If you love God with all your heart, mind, and soul, then your first desire in all you do should be to please Him with the same devotion and motivation you would have with a "first love" experience.

Here's a good link to explain this further

https://www.padfield.com/1998/sin.html

Cheers and Welcome Tyler!!!!:)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank you all for your kind words! I did more reading and studying and, in true “me” fashion I seem to only uproot MORE questions the more answers I get. I suppose I kinda understand that I’m not meant to be sad and anxious all the time in all that I do but it’s hard not to be! I instantly hear and pick out the sin in every conversation and every activity and every thing I do and every person I interact with. I don’t point it out or attack people because I feel as though that would be hypocritical of me and pointing out the saw dust in my brothers eye so to say. So, instead, I’ve taken to simply not speaking. Not interacting with people as much. It’s made me lonely and worrisome and this CAN NOT be right. My life is slowly becoming more and more secluded, miserable, and lonely because every time I look at another person I see the worst...and every time I look at myself I see EVEN MORE bad. I’m sorry I know I sound a bit pathetic and I don’t mean to come off that way...I have prayed about this but I still feel like I’m missing something. Any help, again, is greatly appreciated! Bless.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praying! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.73
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.93
  • Days Won:  64

Welcome to Worthy Tyler.  Prayed for you.  

Edited by Frances
addition
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,251
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  06/12/1974

or attack people

Well you dont want to do that anyway 

(KJV)

Jas_3:17  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 

I’ve taken to simply not speaking.

thats not always a bad thing

(KJV)

Lam 3:27  It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth. 
Lam 3:28  He sitteth alone and keepeth silence, because he hath borne it upon him. 

Pro 17:28  Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. 

11 hours ago, Tyler S. said:

Not interacting with people as much.

Well when you do i thought this verse is good one.

(KJV)

Pro 18:24  A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. 

It’s made me lonely and worrisome and this CAN NOT be right

Deu 31:6  Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. 
(KJV)

every time I look at another person I see the worst

Well maybe you are around some rough people thats how it was for me not long ago.

I’m sorry I know I sound a bit pathetic and I don’t mean to come off that way

not to me ,your trying to learn deeper things.i think that is very wise myself.

(KJV)

Pro 3:13  Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. 

Sorry i rushed this a little,hope it helps some though.Agape

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/4/2018 at 3:44 PM, Tyler S. said:

Thank you all for your kind words! I did more reading and studying and, in true “me” fashion I seem to only uproot MORE questions the more answers I get. I suppose I kinda understand that I’m not meant to be sad and anxious all the time in all that I do but it’s hard not to be! I instantly hear and pick out the sin in every conversation and every activity and every thing I do and every person I interact with. I don’t point it out or attack people because I feel as though that would be hypocritical of me and pointing out the saw dust in my brothers eye so to say. So, instead, I’ve taken to simply not speaking. Not interacting with people as much. It’s made me lonely and worrisome and this CAN NOT be right. My life is slowly becoming more and more secluded, miserable, and lonely because every time I look at another person I see the worst...and every time I look at myself I see EVEN MORE bad. I’m sorry I know I sound a bit pathetic and I don’t mean to come off that way...I have prayed about this but I still feel like I’m missing something. Any help, again, is greatly appreciated! Bless.

Tyler, you are doing just fine. Learning to live in Christ (in the Spirit) takes time, so first crawl, then walk, then run.

You may want to focus on this as I'm sure you are ready for it.

https://www.crossway.org/articles/7-steps-to-walking-the-spiritual-walk/

Cheers Tyler S! :)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

Well one thing that helped me with that was reading/listening/trying to understand the Word more.let me see if i can find a few verses.(KJV)

That is another good post and reading my ESV (easier to read) got me through the stage you are in.

English Standard Version is quite literal but it is easier to read than the thou's and thee's in the King James Version.

Get a small ESV with only Gospels, Psalms and Proverbs in it and take it round with you. Learn to enjoy coffee whilst dwelling in the Word.

I dont know if you have to go through what you are going through as the reason that I went through that stage is because I did not have wisdom back then.

So if I encourage you to get into doing three Proverbs (wisdom literature) a day and praying for a spirit of wisdom when you might actually find this season much much easier.

Get support from Christian's that you can see are loving.

Thout should have fun Bro too :) Try listening to Peter Furler

Edited by Sharky and George
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,060
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:11 AM, Tyler S. said:

You are working for your salvation instead of enjoying your salvation... I worry about anyone who does this because they are ignoring God's Word

Titus 3:5-8

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.
KJV

If you notice the progression we are saved not by works but according to His Mercy and the maintenance of good works are to be useful for God's use unto self and others... we have the wonderful opportunity to let others see God within us by dying to self and producing the results of such activity... God in us 'the hope of glory'! Works are saying to God I, by my own effort, have the right to be saved... but God says this is on the same level as minstrel rags for value

Isa 64:6

6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
KJV