I am confused about salvation.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

So in Revelations 20:13 it says “and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had DONE.” And in the second chapter of James we are told that “faith without works is dead (useless).” It seems to me though, that many other verses of the Bible directly contradict this. Like what about Ephesians 2:8-9 and Romans 3:28 where we’re told that slavation and justification does NOT come through us or even what we DO...but is a free gift from Christ and God (separate from the law). I know that God wants us to do our best to live a good life, though he knows in advance we’ll fall short, so how can we be judged for what we’ve DONE if we ALL fall short? Surely...all aren’t damned right? I must be misinterpreting something here and any answers and advice are welcome. Thank you!  

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Rev 20 is a judgment of the unsaved. Their will be judged as they spurned the free gift of righteousness offered through Jesus.

James is saying that true faith will produce good works, it is not describing how we are justified by faith apart from works as Paul describes.

Ah, thank you for helping clear that up! It was troubling me ?. I suppose it wouldn’t make sense for God to gift us forgiveness and salvation through the blood of Christ (should we choose to accept it) and then go BACK on that and judge us for what we do in works. Thank you! I definitly misinterpreted Rev: 20. It can be hard to understand revelations. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Cletus said:

Ecc 12:13  Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

One day you will even have to give an account to every word you ever speak( Matthew 12:36)...  let me help you with the right answer as to what is sin:

Point to Jesus, and say Jesus paid the price in full. 

We will be judged for everything we do, whether good or bad, but knowing Jesus is the best fire insurance policy you can have. 

Ok. This too makes sense, “we have an advocate in Christ” right? So we all fall short of the glory that God has called us to despite how we may try...so we must trust and have faith that Jesus paid the price for our sins so that we may be forgiven? 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Tyler S. said:

So in Revelations 20:13 it says “and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had DONE.” And in the second chapter of James we are told that “faith without works is dead (useless).” It seems to me though, that many other verses of the Bible directly contradict this. Like what about Ephesians 2:8-9 and Romans 3:28 where we’re told that slavation and justification does NOT come through us or even what we DO...but is a free gift from Christ and God (separate from the law). I know that God wants us to do our best to live a good life, though he knows in advance we’ll fall short, so how can we be judged for what we’ve DONE if we ALL fall short? Surely...all aren’t damned right? I must be misinterpreting something here and any answers and advice are welcome. Thank you!  

We will be judged according to our works, what we have done...

AND

Salvation is by faith alone in Jesus alone..

AND they are not contradictory statements..

The judgement for ones who believe Jesus and trust in the Atonement of Jesus will not end in their danmnation.. All saved Christians will have Eternal salvation.. But some will receive greater reward while others lesser reward in Gods Perfect eternal existence...

The judgement for ones who have rejected the Way of salvation through the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ will include being cast into the eternal lake of fire where they will be in torment for ever and ever..

Note what Jesus says below::

Matthew 5:KJV

19 "Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Both the people in the above verse will be IN the kingdom of heaven.. One will be called lease in the Kingdom and the other will be called Great.. But they Both end up being in the Kingdom of heaven.. They are both saved..

Note the parable of Jesus below::

Luke 19:KJV

12 "He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. {13} And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. {14} But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us. {15} And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. {16} Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds. {17} And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities. {18} And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds. {19} And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities."

So in the above parable two different followers of the returned LORD become rulers with Him in His Kingdom.. But one has received a greater reward due to his greater effort He becomes a governor over 10 cities..  But again both are given a place in their returned LORDs Kingdom.. So Both of these guys have faced the judgement of their LORD in what they did with His money but their judgement was about what type of reward they would receive.. It never included the possibility of them being banished from the LORDs Kingdom..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,828
  • Content Per Day:  4.76
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

I'll just throw this out: Before Adam sinned, what was the duty of man? I like the quote above from Ecclesiastes (my favorite OT book, btw): Ecc 12:13  Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

It seams that we, in a very real way, "try too hard". It says multiple timesin Ecclesiastes that mans lot is to "eat and drink and enjoy the fruit of his labor".

So, know that you are saved. Know that God is your creator. Know that Jesus is your salvation from the death promised because of Adam's transgression. Now, go live your life and enjoy the gift given you by your Creator. But do not be a lover of this age. It is horribly corrupt and you want to do your best to be holy (separate) regarding your perspective and actions, always knowing that "Dad's" not going to write you out of the will.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

On 7/4/2018 at 7:11 PM, Tyler S. said:

Over 150 NT verses have a variant of "Trust Jesus for salvation".

James 2 is referring to witnessing. Replacing "faith" with "witnessing faith" in James 2, and you'll get it!

God will judge believers for rewards and unbelievers for punishment in the next world. Christians receive heavenly correction when they sin--here. Read Hebrews 12 to understand this principle. Pray to Jesus for sound doctrine.

Wow! Thank you all so much for the kind and informative words! I may not have all the answers right now but I’ve learned to accept that that’s ok and that GOD does and is doing his best to work my life for the better! I think this is all stemming from a lack of trust and I’m happy to say that, slowly but surely, that’s beginning to mend. I’ve made a list of my favorite or noteworthy verses as I read more of the Bible and that helps a lot. This is a great community! I wish you all the best!

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

On 7/6/2018 at 9:42 AM, Billiards Ball said:

Over 150 NT verses have a variant of "Trust Jesus for salvation".

James 2 is referring to witnessing. Replacing "faith" with "witnessing faith" in James 2, and you'll get it!

God will judge believers for rewards and unbelievers for punishment in the next world. Christians receive heavenly correction when they sin--here. Read Hebrews 12 to understand this principle. Pray to Jesus for sound doctrine.

James was writing to the twelve tribes as he stated in the first verse of his letter......he is not addressing the Body Of Christ and he never does....read James for wisdom, but not for doctrine.....that assignment was given to Paul.......All the Bible is Truth and is “ for” us. That does not mean it is “ to” us.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

On 7/4/2018 at 6:11 PM, Tyler S. said:

Ephesians 2:8-9 states that Salvation is completely the work of God. But if you read on to the very next verse it says,"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." So even though we can't EARN Salvation, once we become saved the good works are to follow.  :)    

Read together (see the 3 verses below), it becomes clearer how His free gift is what ends up leading to  the works which are God's will (as set forth in the scriptures.)

Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Hope this helps some. :emot-handshake: Welcome to Worthy.

• Loved it! 1