• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,533
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  1

Is it God's work?

Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I've followed Paul's advice here.  :)  Of course, this is just Paul's nonbinding opinion, but the verse raises 2 interesting theological questions:  (1) What are the criteria for dismissing a biblical teaching on the grounds  that it is just "an opinion" as opposed to God's Word? 

(2) On what basis can we dismiss biblical teaching that we don't like on the grounds that it is biased by cultural conditioning and therefore does not apply to modern times (e. g. the need for women to wear veils in church, the prohibition against men allowing their hair to grow long (But hey, what about Samson?). and Paul's command for believers to greet each other with a holy kiss)?

4 hours ago, MadHermit said:

I've followed Paul's advice here.  :)  Of course, this is just Paul's nonbinding opinion, but the verse raises 2 interesting theological questions:  (1) What are the criteria for dismissing a biblical teaching on the grounds  that it is just "an opinion" as opposed to God's Word? 

(2) On what basis can we dismiss biblical teaching that we don't like on the grounds that it is biased by cultural conditioning and therefore does not apply to modern times (e. g. the need for women to wear veils in church, the prohibition against men allowing their hair to grow long (But hey, what about Samson?). and Paul's command for believers to greet each other with a holy kiss)?

sugkuria: chance
Original Word: συγκυρία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: sugkuria
Phonetic Spelling: (soong-koo-ree'-ah)
Short Definition: a coincidence, accident, chance
Definition: a coincidence, accident, chance.

HELPS Word-studies
4795 sygkyría (from 4862 /sýn, "identified with" and kyreō, "to happen co-incidentally") – properly, what occurs together by God's providential arrangement of circumstances – all achieving His eternal purpose in each scene of life. 4795 (sygkyría) is used only in Lk 10:31.

Lk 10:31: "According to [divine] co-incidence (4795 /sygkyría), a certain priest was going down in that way . . . "

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

6 hours ago, Heb 13:8 said:

Is it God's work?

Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife.

What's the question? If God doesn't mean for you to be married then it just won't happen, trust me.

Did you run into a woman and she likes you? That's great (assuming you're attracted to her) but make sure you're both believers. I have to point out that Paul advised people to stay single because he thought the world would soon end. I didn't stay single on purpose but it really isn't good. The only good thing is I was never divorced. I saw so many friends who married at 20ish get divorced by 30 I didn't want that. What good would there be if I was divorced with child support payments, none.

This topic hits home for me, but I think I misunderstood you. What are you asking?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

12 hours ago, Heb 13:8 said:

Is it God's work?

(1 Corinthians 7:25-27) "Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful. {26} I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be. {27} Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife."

Paul remained single and He saw it as a positive thing allowing him to serve the LORD to the fullest.. He was not giving a commandment of the LORD he made that clear.. He was giving his personal advice, what he supposed would be the best course in regard to marriage..  Also note he was talking about the present distress,,, He was talking about the persecution the Christian community was then ( at the time of writing ) under..

11 hours ago, JTC said:

If God doesn't mean for you to be married then it just won't happen, trust me.

What do you mean?

On 7/5/2018 at 8:32 AM, Adstar said:

(1 Corinthians 7:25-27) "Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful. {26} I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be. {27} Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife."

Paul remained single and He saw it as a positive thing allowing him to serve the LORD to the fullest.. He was not giving a commandment of the LORD he made that clear.. He was giving his personal advice, what he supposed would be the best course in regard to marriage..  Also note he was talking about the present distress,,, He was talking about the persecution the Christian community was then ( at the time of writing ) under..

I would think being stuck in a metropolitan matrix technology jail cell that we call "the world" is a crisis also, add it to persecution by non believing big brother.

I don't think be fruitful and multiply applies anymore, Noah did not have a choice.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

11 hours ago, Heb 13:8 said:

I would think being stuck in a metropolitan matrix technology jail cell that we call "the world" is a crisis also, add it to persecution by non believing big brother.

Well that's where each and every Christian has to make their own personal call.. 

I don't think be fruitful and multiply applies anymore, Noah did not have a choice.

Again it's something us Christians must make a personal decision about.. Of course we should ask God for his guidance on the issue and help in what ever way we intend to go..

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

What is so hard to understand when someone gives advise based upon his experience. To serve the Lord wholeheartedly, without encumbrances, or other obligations, stay single. It is a calling. May or may not be you. If your personality is such desiring (burning for) a life long mate, and family, get married.  It also is blessed of God.  With Paul's overwhelming desire to serve our Lord who changed his direction from persecuting God's own to spreading the gospel, he shows the advantage of being single, and expressed his judgement. Paul said; "yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful."   It is an either or statement.

Even if this verse was not written in scripture, the wisdom would still be understood. It is easier to run a race without carrying a load.
Then, there are always those needed who do carry the load.
God is smart. (He made us!)