IGNORED

So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,167
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0

So, there is this person on the internet claiming to be a Jewish christian saying  because of this verse it confirms that Christ the promised messiah was -is-not God and that it is a blaspheme to call Christ Jesus God.

I would like to know how would you explain to them the meaning of

Luke 18:19 :So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

John 2:21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Hi brother Duke The verses that you gave and that would be presented to the Jewish man who thinks he is a christian but does not believe that Christ is God,may very well use your verses to defend his point of view that we like Christ can find God, but that does not make Christ God.

And the last verse saying i am in the Father and the Father in me, can be easily used  by some to defend why Christ was not God as god is in everybody and everybody is in  God.

I m really looking for a substantial explanation to explain  Luke 18:19

I hope if not you somebody can give a good scriptural defense as to what Christ Jesus said and meant when He said don'T call me good, only my father in heaven is good.

6 minutes ago, 1to3 said:

I m really looking for a substantial explanation to explain  Luke 18:19

I am not a trinitarian but I have heard them say "see that proves he is God because he is good."

1 minute ago, Brother Duke said:

I am not a trinitarian but I have heard them say "see that proves he is God because he is good." 

Not really by Christ being quoted as saying: saying don't call me good, it can appear that he is confirming that He Christ Himself is not good.

To be good you have to be free from sin and only God is completely frre from sin.

From other places of scripture is does say that Christ was without sin.

And to believe in Christ reason to come to this world to buy us back from sin and for Him to become the sacrificial lamb of God,Christ Jesus needed to be free from sin.

But how do you explain this to someone who will use this particular verse to disclaim Christ from being God?

I hope someone can bring about a solid explanation defending this passage explaining why God said that to this person.

In my opinion this verse taken on its own in that one phrase is taken out of context. At that time that Christ Jesus was being questioned , it was a time the pharisees  were looking to find fault in Christ so natural they where trying to trap him into saying something that would justify why they should put Him to death.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, 1to3 said:

So, there is this person on the internet claiming to be a Jewish christian saying  because of this verse it confirms that Christ the promised messiah was -is-not God and that it is a blaspheme to call Christ Jesus God.

Luke 18:19 :So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.

Hmmm....

He hasn't read this story deeply enough.  Jesus is inviting the rich young ruler to look deeply into what "goodness" is - and it isn't man-driven keeping of laws.  THAT's what the young man thought is was - hence his begging Jesus to tell him what to do in terms of works.

Jesus isn't denying his Godship or his supernatural identity.  He is preparing the young man to understand what goodness is and where it comes from.

It comes only FROM God to the believer.  When this young man called Jesus "good", he was talking about his healings, teachings, and his taking care of people.  His works.  The young man wanted to do works too that would make him right with God.  He was grossly mistaken.  Most people miss this very vital point of the story.

If this young man had understood that Jesus WAS God, and that goodness is supernaturally God's alone, he wouldn't have used that word for Christ - I know that sounds ironic, but it is.  He didn't see Jesus as a God or the God.  Just a hardworking teacher.  He thought he could at least work a little hard and obtain God's favor.

Jesus, indeed was asking the young man and all of us today to examine goodness.  People believed Jesus was "good" and if they understood goodness, they would automatically understand that Jesus was God.

Jesus said that goodness was God's alone.  Not in denying his divine nature, but in claiming it.

Your friend has only skimmed the surface and found Jesus lacking.

He has done EXACTLY what the young man in this story has done.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

4 minutes ago, Jayne said:
2 hours ago, 1to3 said:

Hmmm....

He hasn't read this story deeply enough.  Jesus is inviting the rich young ruler to look deeply into what "goodness" is - and it isn't man-driven keeping of laws.  THAT's what the young man thought is was - hence his begging Jesus to tell him what to do in terms of works.

Jesus isn't denying his Godship or his supernatural identity.  He is preparing the young man to understand what goodness is and where it comes from.

It comes only FROM God to the believer.  When this young man called Jesus "good", he was talking about his healings, teachings, and his taking care of people.  His works.  The young man wanted to do works too that would make him right with God.  He was grossly mistaken.  Most people miss this very vital point of the story.

If this young man had understood that Jesus WAS God, and that goodness is supernaturally God's alone, he wouldn't have used that word for Christ - I know that sounds ironic, but it is.  He didn't see Jesus as a God or the God.  Just a hardworking teacher.  He thought he could at least work a little hard and obtain God's favor.

Jesus, indeed was asking the young man and all of us today to examine goodness.  People believed Jesus was "good" and if they understood goodness, they would automatically understand that Jesus was God.

Jesus said that goodness was God's alone.  Not in denying his divine nature, but in claiming it.

Your friend has only skimmed the surface and found Jesus lacking.

He has done EXACTLY what the young man in this story has done.

:amen:

Thank you Jayne, i really appreciate your answer .

Unfortunately this Jewish man has a lot of influence on other people and he himself is misguided on this particular verse and in turn is misguiding others .

I terribly would like to get through to this person as it could way  as a salvation issue, and i very much would like to see this person go to heaven as well as the others he is influencing through his talks.

I hope to use your reply as an explanation him if I am given the chance to reach him.

1 minute ago, 1to3 said:

I terribly would like to get through to this person as it could way  as a salvation issue, and i very much would like to see this person go to heaven as well as the others he is influencing through his talks.

I do not think it is a salvation issue.  Do they believe Jesus is the Son of God?

Edited by Brother Duke

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, 1to3 said:

I hope to use your reply as an explanation him if I am given the chance to reach him.

Does he just not believe that Jesus is God or does he not believe that Jesus is divine?

When I was saved, I did not understand that Jesus was God for a long time.  But I was saved as I believed in the deity of Christ.  As I grew in the Bible and in Christ, I understood that Jesus is God and still understand more.

But if he does not even believe that Jesus is divine, he is lost.

15 minutes ago, Brother Duke said:

I do not think it is a salvation issue.  Do they believe Jesus is the Son of God?

Well yes it is a salvation issue if you believe that Christ paid the penalty on the cross for our sins.

To be able to do so Christ Jesus would have had to be free from sin.

Isaiah 53  says by His stripes we are healed. His stripes refers to by Christ shed blood we are saved as Christ Shed His own untainted blood (because it came direct from God) within Christ while He was in the womb of Mary. Marys blood did not mix with Christ blood and Christ was born through the immaculate conception) for the remission of our sins. Christ Jesus was our Lamb of God who took away the sins of the world. it is through Him that we can find back our place with God in eternity. Christ came down to undo what satan did in the garden of Eden. It was finished on the cross of Calvary. through Christ satan has no more power over man if man has faith in Christ having died and paid in full the penalty for our sins and through His shed blood has made us white as snow, not because of anything we did but because of Him haven taken the ultimate penalty for our sins by bearing all the sins of the world when he was crucified on the cross.

Anything other than God could not do that

Edited by 1to3