IGNORED

So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, 1to3 said:

Anything other than God could not do that

Where is scripture for this? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,167
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

2 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Does he just not believe that Jesus is God or does he not believe that Jesus is divine?

When I was saved, I did not understand that Jesus was God for a long time.  But I was saved as I believed in the deity of Christ.  As I grew in the Bible and in Christ, I understood that Jesus is God and still understand more.

But if he does not even believe that Jesus is divine, he is lost. 

That's a good question Jayne;

From what he says he definitely does not believe Christ is God, but he believes that through Christ we find Gods salvation.

23 minutes ago, Brother Duke said:
  6 minutes ago, 1to3 said:

Anything other than God could not do that

23 minutes ago, Brother Duke said:

Where is scripture for this? 

you mean where in the bible does it say that only God can save us from sin?

It says so pretty much everywhere.

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him,

But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord.

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

In flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; ...

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.

I and the Father are one.”

So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.”

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?

Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.

For the word of the Lord is upright, and all his work is done in faithfulness.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;

The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. ...

Then the disciples went back to their homes. But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb, and as she wept she stooped to look into the tomb. And she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had lain, one at the head and one at the feet. They said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him.” Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus. ...

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

And saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

Christ Jesus had to be pure to be able to be able to pay the penalty for our sins?

do you not agree with that?

sin cannot cancel sin, only sinlessness can disarm sin.

God lamb of god who takes away the sins of the world had to be sinless and his blood had to be pure untainted from the blood of Adam and Eve, that is why god came direct and implanted in Mary His seed, that  became Christ Jesus. Christ Jesus Blood did not mix in the womb with Mary. it was pure untainted as the blood od adam was before he sinned.

Christ blood has to be Pure and free form sin to buy us back from sin.

Only God is free from sin and only Christ Jesus was free from sin when He came down to earth as part man/part God

Edited by 1to3

9 minutes ago, 1to3 said:

you mean where in the bible does it say that only god can save us from sin?

No that Christ needs to be God to save our sins.  Why could not Christ being the Son of God and  having the spirit of God dwell in him not save us? 

2 Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily

Edited by Brother Duke

1 minute ago, Brother Duke said:

No that Christ needs to be God to save our sins.  Why could not Christ being the Son of God and  having the spirit of God dwell in him not save us? 

Ok, well saying that do you believe that in the beginning of all Christ was with God?

if so do you believe John ch1?

John 1

The Eternal Word

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not [a]comprehend it.

If you understand that Christ is the WORD,then you understand that christ is also God as well as the Holy spirit also being God.

If you believe this than you cannot than say that Christ only had the spirit of God in Him. the bible states that they are ONE, that the WORD was GOD.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

5 hours ago, 1to3 said:

So, there is this person on the internet claiming to be a Jewish christian saying  because of this verse it confirms that Christ the promised messiah was -is-not God and that it is a blaspheme to call Christ Jesus God.I would like to know how would you explain to them the meaning of

Luke 18:19 :So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. .

Hi 1to3, Of all the commentaries I have read relating to this verse I like Mathew Henry's the most:

Those who come to Christ as their Master must believe him to have not only a divine mission, but a divine goodness. Christ would have this ruler know that if he understood himself aright in calling him good he did, in effect, call him God and indeed he was so (Luk_18:19): “Why callest thou me good? Thou knowest there is none good but one, that is, God; and dost thou then take me for God? If so, thou art in the right.”[Mathew Henry's Commentary On The Whole Bible]
The argument over whether Jesus is God is as enduring as Christianity, and the NT writings of John in particular have content that addresses the issue.

John 10:30-38
(30)  I and my Father are one.
(31)  Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
(32)  Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
(33)  The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
(34)  Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
(35)  If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
(36)  Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
(37)  If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
(38)  But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

"...it must be meant of the oneness of the nature of Father and Son, that they are the same in substance, and equal in power and glory." [Mathew Henry's Commentary On The Whole Bible]

When he wrote his epistles John was dealing with false teachings that would later become known as Gnosticism.

1John 2:21-24
(21)  I have not written unto you because you know not the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
(22)  Who is a liar but he that denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denies the Father and the Son.
(23)  Whosoever denies the Son, the same has not the Father: (but) he that acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
(24)  Let that therefore abide in you, which you have heard from the beginning. If that which you have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, you also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

Edited by Michael37

1 hour ago, 1to3 said:

Ok, well saying that do you believe that in the beginning of all Christ was with God?

if so do you believe John ch1?

Hi 1to3,

Yes I believe the Word John 1.  The Word is God and also the Word was made flesh.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Just the same how do you explain this?

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

16 minutes ago, Brother Duke said:

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Hi Brother Duke, how would i explain the above?

Well when we come to God through by asking Him to help us and we repent to Him and ask Him for forgivenss through His only begotten Son Christi Jesus , by accepting Christ being the only Son of God and having died for ours and taking propriation for them thus having paid the penalty in full for them, I ask God for forgiveness through Christ and also i ask that God come make a home in my heart. By repenting and being willing to turn my life away from sin, dying to self and follow Christ Jesus, The Holy Spirit of God, ie the comforter comes and makes His home in my heart. He is the one who works in me by bringing back in me God consciousness (His law become written in my heart) and helps me to further see my sins, and feel contrite about them, and help me to shed more and more of my sin nature and keeps transforming me more and more into the child of God i was always made to be through Him, He becomes my guide, my teacher within me and through that also helps me more and more understand His word. So the mind of Christ also aligns my mind with His because He lives in me through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

BTW, goodness is produced in us as fruit of the Spirit, and we can be full of it.

Gal 5:22-23
(22)  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
(23)  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Rom 15:14
(14)  And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that you also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

I can recall efforts by those with a religious bee in their bonnet trying to stop the useage of phrases like "Goodness me", or "Good gracious".

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  11,715
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  106

14 hours ago, Brother Duke said:

Hi 1to3,

Yes I believe the Word John 1.  The Word is God and also the Word was made flesh.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Could this be the word of God as in the recorded words of the Bible, when it is lower case 'w'.  As the Word of God when the W is capitalized, then is a reference for being Jesus. Perhaps?  Like John 1:1 but when it is lowered case, it is perhaps meant to be the words of the Bible.    Let me know what you think.

Romans 10:17

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the 'word' of God.
John 1:14

And the 'Word' was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

I to believe Jesus is God.

• Thumbs Up 1