Brent Edwards

Seeking help and advise for Youth Group

Hi everyone,
I'm Brent, and I currently help out the Youth Pastor at our church. First and foremost, my passion is to serve God, more specifically I feel God wants me to serve the youth of my community. We are a relatively small church in regards to number of current members. I have been apart of my Church for about two and a half years, and with the Youth Group for a year. Our surrounding community, and the majority of our members, are in a very poverty stricken area of Georgia. My main concern is giving the kids an environment that is always welcoming, a home away from home if you will. Most of these kid's parents have a very hard time getting by in general, and because of this they can hardly get the time to bring their kids to church on Wednesdays when we have our Youth Group lessons. Right now, I do all I can along with other folks, picking up and taking them home when they don't have a ride, but they still want to come. So we are in the process of trying to raise enough money to purchase a passenger van of sorts to accommodate the issues we're having. I'm seeking ideas and advise on how to accomplish our $3500 goal. If anyone has any helpful advise please let me know, and I've attached a go fund me, not looking for donations on here, but mainly to get an idea on how well it looks, and what changes need to be made. It's tough to be in this situation, but the teenagers shouldn't have to struggle because of the circumstances most of the community is in. We are in a high gang and drug activity area, and it would break my heart to see them succumb to their surroundings, and be a product of their environment. I want to thank everyone in advance for there support. I'm just a believer trying to change the statistics! God Bless Everyone!

Link Deleted by Omegaman 3.o

Sorry Brent - Too close to soliciting - which we do not allow here. However, people will likely pray for your situation, and perhaps, some will go hunt it down on their own.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praying for You! 1

Welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

7CIv.gif.ec985373d2cac91bb28e67d99314fe2d.gif Brent Edwards:36:

hi Welcome to Worthy :) 

Hi, welcome to you!

I sometimes hear of people raising money for charity, etc, by having car washes, selling baked goods, selling lemonade, etc.   It might not raise alot of money but everything helps.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:21 AM, Debp said:

Hi, welcome to you!

I sometimes hear of people raising money for charity, etc, by having car washes, selling baked goods, selling lemonade, etc.   It might not raise alot of money but everything helps.

I'll second this recommendation.  Any effort by teenagers to earn money can be a great example for people in the community.  Their effort and initiative makes a good impression.  This could involve groups visiting home offering help raking leaves, shoveling snow, washing cars, etc.  Once your group gains a reputation for helping the community, that can open doors for donations and other opportunities.

One thing to consider is to have the outlook where getting as many of the kids  (and others) as possible on board with the journey and challenge of getting the van could be part of the ministry and growth process.  It would give many more people a sense of ownership of the van as well as potentially adding to relationship building between many people.  Having a donation that covers the van today would take it from being a goal to reality; but perhaps, having dozens of people (across a range of ages potentially) spending hours together doing various things in the upcoming weeks and months might help extend a sense of community and common purpose that might ultimately have much value.

Hello Brent, welcome from another newbie!

I wish I could help with some advice but I don't have experience with funding initiatives.  Keep spreading the word about your initiative and don't stop praying!

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By JoeK
      I've encountered a teaching that seems to be quite prevalent, at least here in Israel.  I first heard it taught in "The Purpose Driven Life" by Pastor Rick Warren and I have since encountered this teaching in 3 different Messianic Congregations here in Israel.  That message is basically, 'forgiveness does not mean trust: that we as believers must forgive as Jesus taught, even 77 times (or 70 times 7 times) but that does not mean trusting the other person. They must re-earn our trust' and I basically just accepted this message as fact since it does seem to be reasonable.  Then a few months ago, I finally watched the 1935 version of Les Miserables.  For some inexplicable reason, I had been wanting to read or watch it for the last year or so but kept putting it off.  When I finally encountered that scene with the Bishop and Jean Valjean, something hit me very hard about it. The way the bishop gave Jean the silver candlesticks when the police brought him back to the place and then the way the bishop told him before he left that he is always welcome there and that the front door is the proper way and not by any other means. It may be fictional, but it reminded me of a factual story.
      The story from "The Cross and the Switchblade" and the way in which David Wilkerson led Niki Cruz and gang to the Lord. How he had finally gotten several gang members and others from the community together in an auditorium to share with them the Gospel message and how David Wilkerson asked Niki Cruz and his gang to take up the offering. As they were going through the passage up to the balcony, they noticed an exit door and were about to run off with the money when suddenly it occurred to them: 'This guy is trusting us. No one has ever trusted us before' and they brought the offering up to David. That single act of trust was instrumental in dissolving NYC gangs and eventually lead to hundreds of inner city Victory Outreach Missions throughout the world today, including one in Haifa, Israel.
      So I started asking myself, "Why is it whenever this message of 'forgiveness does not equal trust' is taught, they do not bring any scriptural support for it?" And I'm kind of hard pressed. I am no doctor of scripture but I am quite familiar in a general overview sort of way and usually when I am troubled like this, the Lord will bring to memory scriptural support. But none arises to memory.
      Three insights have been occurring to me and I'd really like some input here:
      1) Forgiveness minus Trust really equals unforgiveness;
      2) The person may be being hypocritical, saying to the other that they are forgiven, but their behavior, attitude and actions do not outwardly demonstrate it;
      3) We are supposed to show to others the same Grace God showed us. God doesn't tell us, "I forgive you but now you must earn my trust".  How then could we approach His Throne of Grace... How then will He welcome us into His Home?

If I am way off base here, then please let me know. I've been wrong many times in the past, and will be pleasantly surprised if I am way wrong about this: it will be an excellent reminder of how fallible I am and how much I need to be involved regularly in open discussions with other followers of Christ.
      God Bless!
      Joe
    • By Your Brother In Christ
      I do need to clarify what I mean by Church. I'm referring to the common American format. 
      You have praise and worship, one pastor who preaches a sermon, and congregation that checks there good Christian card every Sunday.
      Is this what the Church was supposed to be?
    • By turtletwo
      I am heartbroken.  I just found out last night that someone very dear to me is deceived by a false teaching! I don't know what to do. I tried reasoning with them, but it has only caused a rift between us.
      I am scared for this person spiritually and feel helpless where to go from here. Please pray the Holy Spirit opens their eyes! The sooner the better. And that He shows me how to best handle it.
    • By Fidei Defensor
      The Church’s Purpose: 
      “God’s purpose in all this was to use the church to display his wisdom in its rich variety to all the unseen rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. This was his eternal plan, which he carried out through Christ Jesus our Lord; In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.“ (Ephesians 3:10-12)
      Here the purpose of the Church is revealed as displaying Wisdom who is Jesus Christ the Lord God (1 Corinthians 1:18-2:18, Colossians 2:2-3, 1 Corinthians 1:30), and His Gospel (John 6:40, John 3:16-18, John 14:6). That we are ambassadors, “So we are Christ's ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, "Come back to God!" (2 Corinthians 5:20). 
      The purpose of the church is to display and preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and show Him to the world. At the same time our purpose is to be God’s family and know Jesus (Philippians 3:8-10).