Brent Edwards

Seeking help and advise for Youth Group

Hi everyone,
I'm Brent, and I currently help out the Youth Pastor at our church. First and foremost, my passion is to serve God, more specifically I feel God wants me to serve the youth of my community. We are a relatively small church in regards to number of current members. I have been apart of my Church for about two and a half years, and with the Youth Group for a year. Our surrounding community, and the majority of our members, are in a very poverty stricken area of Georgia. My main concern is giving the kids an environment that is always welcoming, a home away from home if you will. Most of these kid's parents have a very hard time getting by in general, and because of this they can hardly get the time to bring their kids to church on Wednesdays when we have our Youth Group lessons. Right now, I do all I can along with other folks, picking up and taking them home when they don't have a ride, but they still want to come. So we are in the process of trying to raise enough money to purchase a passenger van of sorts to accommodate the issues we're having. I'm seeking ideas and advise on how to accomplish our $3500 goal. If anyone has any helpful advise please let me know, and I've attached a go fund me, not looking for donations on here, but mainly to get an idea on how well it looks, and what changes need to be made. It's tough to be in this situation, but the teenagers shouldn't have to struggle because of the circumstances most of the community is in. We are in a high gang and drug activity area, and it would break my heart to see them succumb to their surroundings, and be a product of their environment. I want to thank everyone in advance for there support. I'm just a believer trying to change the statistics! God Bless Everyone!

Link Deleted by Omegaman 3.o

Sorry Brent - Too close to soliciting - which we do not allow here. However, people will likely pray for your situation, and perhaps, some will go hunt it down on their own.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praying for You! 1

Welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

7CIv.gif.ec985373d2cac91bb28e67d99314fe2d.gif Brent Edwards:36:

hi Welcome to Worthy :) 

Hi, welcome to you!

I sometimes hear of people raising money for charity, etc, by having car washes, selling baked goods, selling lemonade, etc.   It might not raise alot of money but everything helps.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:21 AM, Debp said:

Hi, welcome to you!

I sometimes hear of people raising money for charity, etc, by having car washes, selling baked goods, selling lemonade, etc.   It might not raise alot of money but everything helps.

I'll second this recommendation.  Any effort by teenagers to earn money can be a great example for people in the community.  Their effort and initiative makes a good impression.  This could involve groups visiting home offering help raking leaves, shoveling snow, washing cars, etc.  Once your group gains a reputation for helping the community, that can open doors for donations and other opportunities.

One thing to consider is to have the outlook where getting as many of the kids  (and others) as possible on board with the journey and challenge of getting the van could be part of the ministry and growth process.  It would give many more people a sense of ownership of the van as well as potentially adding to relationship building between many people.  Having a donation that covers the van today would take it from being a goal to reality; but perhaps, having dozens of people (across a range of ages potentially) spending hours together doing various things in the upcoming weeks and months might help extend a sense of community and common purpose that might ultimately have much value.

Hello Brent, welcome from another newbie!

I wish I could help with some advice but I don't have experience with funding initiatives.  Keep spreading the word about your initiative and don't stop praying!

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gemstone777
      John 11:33-35 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled.  “Where have you laid him?”  he asked.  “Come and see, Lord,” they replied.  Jesus wept.   
      Sometimes in our society the world tells people to suck it up, not be emotional, and looks at crying as a weakness.  Especially if someone is a male it’s not looked at as manly to cry, yet Jesus wept.  It said he was “deeply moved…..troubled….wept.”  Not just a little upset, but extremely.  This passage is clear that Christ had emotions and was compassionate.  I believe this is an example where we should not follow the ways of the world, but use Jesus’ as an example of how to live.  Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep, is another place we are told to do this.  Then it goes on to say in John 11:36 Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”  By weeping, Jesus showed love.  

John 11:43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!”   Because what Jesus spoke comes to fruition, if he had not called Lazarus by name, it would appear that all the dead buried there would have been brought back to life.  

John 11:48 If we let him (Jesus) go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our temple and our nation.”  Fear of losing their power and greed led to the chief priests and Pharisees plotting to kill Jesus.  

John 11:53-54  So from that day on they plotted to take his life.  Therefore Jesus no longer moved about publicly among the people of Judea. Instead he withdrew to a region near the wilderness, to a village called Ephraim, where he stayed with his disciples.  I’ve heard some Christians over the years say that we should just let evildoers overtake us and be martyrs for our faith.  I think this is an example where Jesus was wise and didn’t help them to do evil to Him, until it was His appointed time to die/be our sacrifice.

• By marita
      Hello everyone, 
      So when I ask about who wrote the bible, people give me different answers. But who actually wrote it? I believe so much wisdom could not come from men alone 
    • By DaughterOfAKing
      I'll try to make this as brief as possible.
      A little under two years ago, I started talking to a colleague at work. At first, I was just simply attracted to his appearance but the more we started talking, the more my feelings developed. He comes from a Catholic background, he goes clubbing, drinks and he smokes marijuana. I can always resist the temptation to go clubbing (or pubbing should I say) but when I have been invited and I know he'll be there, I'll instantly agree to tag along. I left my job, the autumn of last year, he attended my leaving do and we were inseparable for the night, outside in the smoking area (I don't smoke by the way), next to each other in photos and on the dancefloor. 
      I secured and left three positions after this job in question but I ended up returning to this same company office, a little over a week ago. The only difference is, I am now working in another department. My main problem is, I cannot stop thinking about him, he is constantly on my mind. I'm a little confused, I understand that God has a reason for everything he does but I don't understand why/how I ended back at the same company for my crush to resume. 
      I understand that we must not be unequally yoked, in my mind as I am sure some believers have been in my position, I'm hopeful that he his relationship with God will blossom. I'm about 75% sure that the feeling is mutual (maybe not to my extent but there is some certainty he may feel the same way) I have prayed on it but what else should I do?
    • By Anna Louison
      Godmorning to you all,
      I’ve been wondering a lot about the creation and life of dinosaurs seen from a Christian perspective. Is it possible that they never actually existed and that it’s a trick played on us by NASA, just like the earth is round theory? Or did God actually create these creatures on the 6th day? It just seems unnatural to me, that dinosaurs would have roamed the earth at the same time as Adam and Eve, but since God is almighty, would he have been able to create a hole in time and space and simply add these glorious creatures to a time before existence?
      I’m really looking forward to a nice discussion and some truthful answers, so please keep it light. Have a wonderful day!
    • By Kirk341345
      How does the Church balance Truth and Love in a way that we do not allow tolerance to take presidence over Biblical truth?