Brent Edwards

Seeking help and advise for Youth Group

Hi everyone,
I'm Brent, and I currently help out the Youth Pastor at our church. First and foremost, my passion is to serve God, more specifically I feel God wants me to serve the youth of my community. We are a relatively small church in regards to number of current members. I have been apart of my Church for about two and a half years, and with the Youth Group for a year. Our surrounding community, and the majority of our members, are in a very poverty stricken area of Georgia. My main concern is giving the kids an environment that is always welcoming, a home away from home if you will. Most of these kid's parents have a very hard time getting by in general, and because of this they can hardly get the time to bring their kids to church on Wednesdays when we have our Youth Group lessons. Right now, I do all I can along with other folks, picking up and taking them home when they don't have a ride, but they still want to come. So we are in the process of trying to raise enough money to purchase a passenger van of sorts to accommodate the issues we're having. I'm seeking ideas and advise on how to accomplish our $3500 goal. If anyone has any helpful advise please let me know, and I've attached a go fund me, not looking for donations on here, but mainly to get an idea on how well it looks, and what changes need to be made. It's tough to be in this situation, but the teenagers shouldn't have to struggle because of the circumstances most of the community is in. We are in a high gang and drug activity area, and it would break my heart to see them succumb to their surroundings, and be a product of their environment. I want to thank everyone in advance for there support. I'm just a believer trying to change the statistics! God Bless Everyone!

Link Deleted by Omegaman 3.o

Sorry Brent - Too close to soliciting - which we do not allow here. However, people will likely pray for your situation, and perhaps, some will go hunt it down on their own.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praying for You! 1

Welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

7CIv.gif.ec985373d2cac91bb28e67d99314fe2d.gif Brent Edwards:36:

hi Welcome to Worthy :) 

Hi, welcome to you!

I sometimes hear of people raising money for charity, etc, by having car washes, selling baked goods, selling lemonade, etc.   It might not raise alot of money but everything helps.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:21 AM, Debp said:

Hi, welcome to you!

I sometimes hear of people raising money for charity, etc, by having car washes, selling baked goods, selling lemonade, etc.   It might not raise alot of money but everything helps.

I'll second this recommendation.  Any effort by teenagers to earn money can be a great example for people in the community.  Their effort and initiative makes a good impression.  This could involve groups visiting home offering help raking leaves, shoveling snow, washing cars, etc.  Once your group gains a reputation for helping the community, that can open doors for donations and other opportunities.

One thing to consider is to have the outlook where getting as many of the kids  (and others) as possible on board with the journey and challenge of getting the van could be part of the ministry and growth process.  It would give many more people a sense of ownership of the van as well as potentially adding to relationship building between many people.  Having a donation that covers the van today would take it from being a goal to reality; but perhaps, having dozens of people (across a range of ages potentially) spending hours together doing various things in the upcoming weeks and months might help extend a sense of community and common purpose that might ultimately have much value.

Hello Brent, welcome from another newbie!

I wish I could help with some advice but I don't have experience with funding initiatives.  Keep spreading the word about your initiative and don't stop praying!

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)