Sign in to follow this  
Brent Edwards

Seeking help and advise for Youth Group

Hi everyone,
I'm Brent, and I currently help out the Youth Pastor at our church. First and foremost, my passion is to serve God, more specifically I feel God wants me to serve the youth of my community. We are a relatively small church in regards to number of current members. I have been apart of my Church for about two and a half years, and with the Youth Group for a year. Our surrounding community, and the majority of our members, are in a very poverty stricken area of Georgia. My main concern is giving the kids an environment that is always welcoming, a home away from home if you will. Most of these kid's parents have a very hard time getting by in general, and because of this they can hardly get the time to bring their kids to church on Wednesdays when we have our Youth Group lessons. Right now, I do all I can along with other folks, picking up and taking them home when they don't have a ride, but they still want to come. So we are in the process of trying to raise enough money to purchase a passenger van of sorts to accommodate the issues we're having. I'm seeking ideas and advise on how to accomplish our $3500 goal. If anyone has any helpful advise please let me know, and I've attached a go fund me, not looking for donations on here, but mainly to get an idea on how well it looks, and what changes need to be made. It's tough to be in this situation, but the teenagers shouldn't have to struggle because of the circumstances most of the community is in. We are in a high gang and drug activity area, and it would break my heart to see them succumb to their surroundings, and be a product of their environment. I want to thank everyone in advance for there support. I'm just a believer trying to change the statistics! God Bless Everyone!

Link Deleted by Omegaman 3.o

Sorry Brent - Too close to soliciting - which we do not allow here. However, people will likely pray for your situation, and perhaps, some will go hunt it down on their own.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praying for You! 1

7CIv.gif.ec985373d2cac91bb28e67d99314fe2d.gif Brent Edwards:36:

hi Welcome to Worthy :) 

Hi, welcome to you!

I sometimes hear of people raising money for charity, etc, by having car washes, selling baked goods, selling lemonade, etc.   It might not raise alot of money but everything helps.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:21 AM, Debp said:

Hi, welcome to you!

I sometimes hear of people raising money for charity, etc, by having car washes, selling baked goods, selling lemonade, etc.   It might not raise alot of money but everything helps.

I'll second this recommendation.  Any effort by teenagers to earn money can be a great example for people in the community.  Their effort and initiative makes a good impression.  This could involve groups visiting home offering help raking leaves, shoveling snow, washing cars, etc.  Once your group gains a reputation for helping the community, that can open doors for donations and other opportunities.

One thing to consider is to have the outlook where getting as many of the kids  (and others) as possible on board with the journey and challenge of getting the van could be part of the ministry and growth process.  It would give many more people a sense of ownership of the van as well as potentially adding to relationship building between many people.  Having a donation that covers the van today would take it from being a goal to reality; but perhaps, having dozens of people (across a range of ages potentially) spending hours together doing various things in the upcoming weeks and months might help extend a sense of community and common purpose that might ultimately have much value.

Hello Brent, welcome from another newbie!

I wish I could help with some advice but I don't have experience with funding initiatives.  Keep spreading the word about your initiative and don't stop praying!

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Omegaman 3.0
      I was saved in 1979 and soon after, I was attending an adult Sunday School class at Melodyland in Anaheim, CA, taught by Walter Martin. I had been doing some Bible study on my own on the topic of being filled with the Spirit. In that, I had noticed that the idea of "boldness" was very frequently associated with Spirit filling. I was very privileged to hear Dr. Martin speak to how boldness can be used in our lives as Christian.
      I really miss this man, but really was blessed to watch him speak passionately again in this video, about things the should matter to Christians who love the people for whom Christ died! This is Part 1, Part 2 will follow in a separate post in this thread.

• By MercyGrace
      Hello, 
      So I am having a situation at church that has been causing me a lot of distress, and I feel ashamed to say that it's been happening for 2 years. There is a married woman at church that has been flirting with my husband for a really long time now. She is very sneaky about how she does it, but even my husband has noticed it. For some reason my husband didn't distance himself from her immediately because using his words, he really likes to hang out with her husband, and felt that I shouldn't allow her to get the best of me because there will always be disrespectful or immature people everywhere we go. Even though I understand his point, I disagree.
      To give a little bit of background, after we had our first child we became friends with a really good group of people in our church. They all had children which made the transition into parenthood a lot easier for us. After 6 months, this woman moved into the area and started trying to become my friend. I could sense that she stared at me a lot, but I thought nothing of it. I am introverted and at times shy, but I enjoy having meaningful conversations. And one day she started talking to me and I found out we had a lot in common, such as our career choices, the neighborhood we lived in and being mothers. I was happy to find a potential friend. The problem began when someone from our amazing group of friends invited her to a Christmas gathering in which she decided she would be the center of attention...of my husband. During the party, we were karaoke-ing and she started dancing and patting my husband on his leg while I was sitting right next to him and asking him to come and sing. She kept calling him over and over, and just smiling here and there. He was respectful to me and only sang with me (a romantic song), which I thought was very thoughtful of him. But at that moment I no longer saw her as I did before and verbalized this to my husband.
      To make this post shorter, every time we got together with our group of friends she would look for my husband to talk, or she would randomly place herself in a sensual position right in front of him. I began feeling uncomfortable and told my husband I was not comfortable with her and would like if he could keep his distance from her. He blamed me of being a bad friend and having problems with everyone (but I haven't had problems with any other woman in the group and there are 6 of them). He also said that it is a cultural thing. He believes Hispanic women touch a lot and are flirty in nature. But I am Hispanic and all the other women are too, and only one of them is also flirty but only with her own husband. In every children birthday party, she would dress with cleavage and be overly sensual and flirtatious with both my husband and another friend. This woman is very curvy which has become intimidating, but initially, I didn't feel this way (I instead admired her looks), until she set eyes on my husband. I have never demonstrated any self-consciousness and have never disrespected her. She would continuously ask me why I wasn't curvy like my mom and sister and I would never give in to impulsivity in my answers. But I do want to put out there that I don't feel less than her in any way. I have always prided myself in being internally beautiful. I value respect and feel grateful to God for my intelligence, love, and compassion. My external beauty is not what makes me special although I do believe I am beautiful. 
      Continuing with the topic, one day I told my husband I had a migraine (which was a very bad one) and didn't want to go to meet up with our friends and he got very upset. I want to clarify at this point that he was helping me a lot by taking care of the children so I could go to sch0ol, and due to this, he didn't have a lot of time to do things he enjoyed like playing sports. He tells me the reason he really likes hanging out with this woman's husband is that they are both the youngest males of the group and like talking sports and cars. For the sake of the staying friends with everyone else in the group which I love dearly, and more importantly, because I was trying to be a good wife, I second guessed myself and decided I should try to be a better friend.  
      Whenever I went to church she would stare at me and try to initiate conversation. I am very empathic to my detriment at times and I would talk to her. She would tell me she barely had any clothes and I offered her some of mine. She would ask me to bring food to parties and I would (just like I did for all the other friends), despite seeing her trying to call my husband's attention from time to time. Then she got pregnant with her second baby and I gave her baby clothes from my daughter and even did a photo shoot of her family and her. My gut kept telling me she wasn't trustworthy, but I wanted to prove I could have friends (which I already know I do, I just don't have many because I have high expectations). Her husband and she would constantly make scenes where they would say ugly things to each other even in the church, so it was very noticeable that they were having marital issues. On the other hand, my husband and I keep our problems at home and really try to always put God in the center of our marriage. We work very hard for our family, but this is one issue we haven't seen eye to eye in. 
      If my husband ignored her, she would make comments such as: Why are you running away, I don't bite". But even though I looked at her puzzled I never said a word and neither did he. I didn't want to be a bad Christian although my human side wanted to tell her to back off, I never seized the opportunity. Before a romantic trip we were going to she spent a whole week calling his cellphone to ask him for favors in the country we were visiting. He redirected her to call me but still didn't put her in her place because she kept calling. Another day, while I was in school her husband asked if my husband could take her to watch a football game in the house of a friend of the group because her husband was working. At the time I was studying, but when my husband told me he had said yes, I took my books with me because I felt completely uncomfortable with the fact that thought it was ok to drive alone with her at night. 
      One day she went to my house while my husband wasnt there (she invited herself) and told me about the issues of her marriage and I gave her advice and realized she was immature and going through a lot in her marriage, and maybe I could help her realize she loved her husband. But when it got close for the time my husband was coming home, she decided she wanted to go to my pool and didn't want to put her clothes back on, and I again realized she was really trying to call my husband's attention.
      At this point, I wanted to keep my friendship with the rest of the members in the group but DEFINITELY not with her. So I distanced myself progressively. I kept praying and asking the Lord to help me react positively and not say the wrong thing because I want to serve the Lord with all my heart because I didn't want to give her power over me because I wanted to keep my friends and I because I respect her husband and children. But I simply avoided her. She would look for me and try to put conversations. I would respond shortly and then walk away. But she was getting to me. I held it in for too long. I never told her anything because I really believed I was overreacting. One time I tried to kiss my husband in front of her and he looked away and this also made me feel like there might be something he felt. I didn't want to stand up for our relationship if this was so. It was little things that were getting to me. But he would deny them and then I felt crazy, especially because he had never been a bad husband or father.
      Time passed and she kept being herself so I kept withdrawing to the point I didn't even want to hang out with the group or go to church. I just didn't want to see her, and going to church had never been so hard for me.  I prayed and asked God to help me. Church needed to be meaningful and not just about dressing nice enough so my husband won't have wandering eyes. After some time she would contact me through social media asking me about my husband and making comments about him (not my pictures)and I got tired and reminded her she had a husband of her own and then deleted her from social media. Days later she confronted me about it and said she wanted to know what she did wrong. I told her  I wouldn't talk through text, but the next time I saw her it was a month or so later and it was not the time for a conversation as such. Throughout this whole issue, I told my husband several times that I was willing to stop hanging out with my group of friends because of her. I don't like badmouthing people because I think we are all children of God and deserve respect, which is why I never told any of my friends. But recently I opened up with one of them because I almost transferred to another church due to her disrespect. I eventually started coming back to my church and she continued her flirting even when I made it clear. Her husband seems to also notice everything, but for some reason lets it be. Its as if nobody wants to call her out on her sin.
      Initially, I would've been content if my husband put her in her place but he didn't want to hurt her feelings because of his friend. I wasn't expecting him to be mean but I thought he could've said things like, I don't feel comfortable being alone in a car with another woman, or I'm happily married, but he has never told her anything. Eventually, he stopped talking to her (at my request and unwillingly) and it just made him more irresistible to her. I think I could've also said a few things. My mother in law (who noticed on her own) told me to tell her a few things, but they didn't seem right with me. The words didn't seem godly and I kept silent.
      My issue is that now I am mad at my husband because it feels like he never stood up for me. I feel if he would've told her something once she would've stopped but instead, he let it be and kept affirming I was misreading it all. I acknowledge I am afraid my husband will fall for her eventually. There are a few other things like him acting energized after weve hung out with them, or not enjoying spending time with the rest of the group members unless that family is present that make me feel uncomfortable, but I second guess myself.
      I know there are a million things I could've done differently, but I am really oblivious to them. An accusation such as that one can start a problem, which is why I still haven't said anything. This is the type of woman that can be on the other side of the church and she will put herself at eye distance of my husband as soon as he walks in church. Please, someone, help me and please pray before you answer me as I need help. 

• By East Sky
      Hello Loves!
      I really feel that every since I told you what I told you, the chat has been acting Highly, socially weird. So please let me know whats up...
    • By Behold
      Jesus is the Holy Spirit.
      God is Jesus, "God was manifested in the Flesh" = Jesus    1 Timothy 3:16
      "God is A Spirit" is the verse, vs some phony bibles that say "God is Spirit", .. so, check yours.....becasue "A" Spirit, is a specific TYPE....Its a HOLY One...."Holy Spirit".    See, there is an UNHOLY Spirit, the spirit of "anti=Christ", and then there a "A" Spirit, (God is A Spirit), that designates for  you the literal and  clear distinction between Holy and unholy....so, if your bible says...."God is Spirit"< John 4:24  then  get yourself a real bible that says.. "God is A Spirit".   Very important.    And also check and see if your bible says..."GOD was manifested in the Flesh" in 1 Timothy 3:26, as if it says, "He" instead of "God", then get rid of this bible, as its flawed, and not literally accurate.  A flawed bible creates a flawed Christian.  Thats a fact.
      The Holy Spirit is the "comforter" and Jesus is the "Prince of Peace".    The Holy Spirit gives you comfort, and this is the "God kind".
      Jesus said, "My peace , (MY SPECIFIC TYPE OF PEACE), This is the Holy Spirit)... The peace I give is NOT as the (spirit of the world) gives,".. John 14: 27.... because Christ's peace IS the Holy Spirit, The Comforter... which is a heavenly peace.  THIS Spirit, is God's, and it is the One that "fills you", and it is the one that "indwells you" only if you are born again, as this is the reason you are born again, and this is why the NT says that "if you don't have the Spirit of God, ( Holy Spirit indwelling you) then you are none of God's", you are not born again, and you are not saved.  Romans 8:9
      The Peace of God is not "happiness" , its a deep wellness in the soul.  Its a comfort that is deeper then feelings.  Its supernatural.  This is the peace of God, Himself, that comes to live in a person the INSTANT they "Believe on the Lord and you SHALL BE SAVED",= right then.....and this is why many cry and cry when this happens, because this peace heals broken hearts. This peace heals wounded souls.  This indwelling of the peace of God, which IS the Love of God, fills the emptiness, and this peace replaces addiction, lust, greed, envy, pride, hate,  with self control.... and fills the human heart  with contentment.  AS ALL THIS is the indwelling fruit of the Holy Spirit. ( Jesus the Vine into us the Branches)   Its the "God Effect" that comes to live inside a born again Person.  Its the "Kingdom of God" that enters you as you enter INTO it.  Colossians 1:13 = BORN AGAIN
    • By Behold
      A mystery is something that has not been uncovered or revealed.
      The Trinity is really not a mystery, as this is a misapplied definition that someone once used who didn't understand it, or didnt want to believe it, and it has sort of hung around Christendom, seemingly forever.
      Now then......The Bible lays out the reality of  God's existence, generally,  as  3 distinct aspects, yet as  One individual whole....
      So, here we go.... Lets take a look :
      First......Think of yourself......are you a spirit , a soul, and a body?......... How many is that?......Well, you are Tri-part being.   You are 3 in One.
      Have you ever noticed the sun in the sky?   The Sun:  is Heat, Light, and Actinic rays. (ultraviolet, etc).   That is 3 parts of the same ONE..... So, is that a mystery?
      The reason most Christians think of these type things as mysteries, is because we live in the natural world, we exit in the natural realm, and so, what we don't see with our eyes, = "mystery".  "seeing is believing".
      So, God is 3.  But He is One.  ... Like this :
        Christ said that He is "In the Father",  John 10:30
      Thomas kneeled before Christ and said...>"my Lord and my GOD",..... and Jesus didn't correct Him.   John 20:28
      Christ said......."touch me not, i have not yet ascended to my Father and yours"........  John 20:17
      The reason the Pharisees wanted to kill Jesus is .....1.) Envy.   2.) Legalism: Religious Spirit, and because Jesus said......"Before Abraham was...... I AM"....and this is Jesus referring to Himself "pre incarnate", as in Genesis 1, when He was not yet "God manifested as a man, in the FLESH".    John 8:58    1 Timothy 3:16
      So, we see that Jesus is talking about Himself (referring to Himself as God), before He was later come down from heaven as " God manifested in the FLesh"....... John 8:58 and 1 Timothy 3:16
      Ok then,  i wrote a simple and quick "Trinity" study recently that i'll now post for you to use if you feel like studying all this, that im posting for yuo   
      Here is the rest....
      -
      1.) John 1:10..  If you read it, you'll read that Jesus was in and literally placed His feet on the World HE created.

2. ) Colossians 1:6 says that through JESUS, and by Jesus, all things were created.

3.) 1 Timothy 3:16 says that "God" was manifested, (was made flesh and walked among us as a Man) ""

4. ) John 20:28 says that Thomas the Apostle, upon first seeing Jesus after He rose from the dead , said... "My Lord AND MY GOD"....

JESUS is the "word made flesh".      
      God made all that you see, by speaking words.  "Let there BE...... light, nature, creation, all of it"....>"Let there BE" is like saying, let there BECOME.....   God spoke it, and it (creation)  appeared.

Genesis 1.  In the beginning was the Word and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word (Jesus) was/is God.
      So, there you have Jesus as the Word before He was sent here to die, being worshipped as God after He was sent here.
      That is God the Father, and Jesus as the Word made flesh = 2
      Then add the Holy Spirit, the comforter...... = 1
      2 +1 = 3

Three are "One", as Jesus says. "I and my Father are ONE"..... yet, they are each, one of themselves.

"Trinity".