Gideon

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

“Wilderness Christianity,” as you call it immediately brought to mind Jesus’ time in the Wildernsss, how He was les there by the Spirit, “Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a]by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
    and they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’[lAgain, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”10 Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.” (Matthew 4:1-11). 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Good topic, Gideon

We encounter spiritual battles on our journey.. One after another.

He gives us strength to face / overcome. - Isaiah 40:31

---

Press on.. - Philippians 3:12-14

* Those are my favorite verses..when I go through battles.

Blessings,

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,177
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, Global Mission said:

Good topic, Gideon

We encounter spiritual battles on our journey.. One after another.

He gives us strength to face / overcome. - Isaiah 40:31

---

Press on.. - Philippians 3:12-14

* Those are my favorite verses..when I go through battles.

Blessings,

Let us make sure we distinguish between the battles we are facing. The difference I see between a believer walking in the wilderness of their old nature and one who has escaped the wilderness and has entered the promised land as a new creature is this. In both situations, battles occur. But in the wilderness, the battle is with oneself.

Here we try to be a good Christian, to bear fruit, but eventually we are worn down and settle  into a spiritual rut, running religious laps, convinced that if we run long enough, we will be changed. Sadly, we are wrong. . Oh, we are always on the move, more or less, but here we are pretty much fulfilling the scripture about ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Here is is always three steps forward, two st.......okay, okay.... three steps back. 

But once we come to the point of realizing that our ‘progressive’ sanctification is simply a desert mirage, and sin still rules over us, even after decades as a believer, and self is still ultimately as much in control as it was the day we were first saved, and we cry out to God to rescue us out of our Romans 7 existence and to plant us in the promised land of victory over the world, the flesh and the devil, the battle is no longer with self. 

Why? Here we have reckoned ourselves dead to sin and the self that loves it.... our old nature. So what is our battle now? It is with the enemy and the unbelief that he tries desperately to get us to go back to. We are finally a true threat to him and he will come at us tooth and nail, but all to no avail, for overcoming is our birthright here. 

There is never victory in the wilderness. No matter how long we labor there, we will never grow from old natures man to new natures man. Yet, our time in the wilderness is critical. There is indeed a purpose for our walk through the wilderness, and every single one of us is called to go through it.... but never reside there. It’s purpose is to break us of all hope in our flesh, to see our sins as exceedingly sinful and to finally realize that no matter how hard we try, or how long we run laps, we are no closer to the victory we are called to. When do we know we are ready to take the leap of faith? When we HATE our old sinful, self loving nature that often refuses to bow the knee to the Lord. 

And when we arrive at that point, and all hope is ourselves has been ground to powder, and we know we need a miracle, then, praise God, He gives it to us. But until we are desperate enough to cry out to Him to see it, and to grab hold of it,  all we will see is desert sand.

When a man or woman comes to the end of their rope, worn out by the wilderness, where we become religious but not righteous, and truly desperate for rest, for peace, for joy and for the manifest presence of God to be there all day, every day, God will remove the scales from our eyes and let is see that the old US does not need to die. He is already dead.  What we need is to believe it, and to act on it by appropriating our new nature by faith alone. 

Blessings, 

Gideon

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44

3 hours ago, Gideon said:

Let us make sure we distinguish between the battles we are facing. The difference I see between a believer walking in the wilderness of their old nature and one who has escaped the wilderness and has entered the promised land as a new creature is this. In both situations, battles occur. But in the wilderness, the battle is with oneself.

Here we try to be a good Christian, to bear fruit, but eventually we are worn down and settle  into a spiritual rut, running religious laps, convinced that if we run long enough, we will be changed. Sadly, we are wrong. . Oh, we are always on the move, more or less, but here we are pretty much fulfilling the scripture about ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Here is is always three steps forward, two st.......okay, okay.... three steps back. 

But once we come to the point of realizing that our ‘progressive’ sanctification is simply a desert mirage, and sin still rules over us, even after decades as a believer, and self is still ultimately as much in control as it was the day we were first saved, and we cry out to God to rescue us out of our Romans 7 existence and to plant us in the promised land of victory over the world, the flesh and the devil, the battle is no longer with self. 

Why? Here we have reckoned ourselves dead to sin and the self that loves it.... our old nature. So what is our battle now? It is with the enemy and the unbelief that he tries desperately to get us to go back to. We are finally a true threat to him and he will come at us tooth and nail, but all to no avail, for overcoming is our birthright here. 

There is never victory in the wilderness. No matter how long we labor there, we will never grow from old natures man to new natures man. Yet, our time in the wilderness is critical. There is indeed a purpose for our walk through the wilderness, and every single one of us is called to go through it.... but never reside there. It’s purpose is to break us of all hope in our flesh, to see our sins as exceedingly sinful and to finally realize that no matter how hard we try, or how long we run laps, we are no closer to the victory we are called to. When do we know we are ready to take the leap of faith? When we HATE our old sinful, self loving nature that often refuses to bow the knee to the Lord. 

And when we arrive at that point, and all hope is ourselves has been ground to powder, and we know we need a miracle, then, praise God, He gives it to us. But until we are desperate enough to cry out to Him to see it, and to grab hold of it,  all we will see is desert sand.

When a man or woman comes to the end of their rope, worn out by the wilderness, where we become religious but not righteous, and truly desperate for rest, for peace, for joy and for the manifest presence of God to be there all day, every day, God will remove the scales from our eyes and let is see that the old US does not need to die. He is already dead.  What we need is to believe it, and to act on it by appropriating our new nature by faith alone. 

Blessings, 

Gideon

So true, if you wouldn’t mind me saying so. Your getting better at articulating the “what” and the “how” and the “why” of our “deaths in Christ”.  In my life it was when I was willing to literally die than to sin, that the Lord opened these truths to me.

Blessings and love and prayers for all that are in the wilderness (Romans 7),  there is a way,  and a hope for all. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

ps, I got the book, (Saving Life of Christ/Mystery of Godliness by Major W. Ian Thomas) with me. I’ll be reading it this trip out. I’ll let you know my thoughts when I can. 

Pss, did you get the pics of my new bike I sent you.?  :)

Good comment ( insight ), Gideon

You are in battles.. even in promised land.

- Different battles / level

It seems you agree on that.

----

-  from your comment:

" ..ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.. "

----

"But until we are desperate enough to cry out to Him.."

I agree.

----

Blessings on your journey,

4 hours ago, Not me said:

So true, if you wouldn’t mind me saying so. Your getting better at articulating the “what” and the “how” and the “why” of our “deaths in Christ”.  In my life it was when I was willing to literally die than to sin, that the Lord opened these truths to me.

Blessings and love and prayers for all that are in the wilderness (Romans 7),  there is a way,  and a hope for all. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

ps, I got the book, (Saving Life of Christ/Mystery of Godliness by Major W. Ian Thomas) with me. I’ll be reading it this trip out. I’ll let you know my thoughts when I can. 

Pss, did you get the pics of my new bike I sent you.?  :)

I did indeed. Vroom, vroom! Congrats.

blessings, Gids

1 hour ago, Global Mission said:

Good comment ( insight ), Gideon

You are in battles.. even in promised land.

- Different battles / level

It seems you agree on that.

----

-  from your comment:

" ..ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.. "

----

"But until we are desperate enough to cry out to Him.."

I agree.

----

Blessings on your journey,

If there are no battles in the promised land, I am doing it all wrong then, lol. 

The difference is that here we are destined to win the battles. Can we fall here? Ask Joshua after Ai. LOL. Yes, we can fall here, but it is almost always because our faith is small and wavering, But when we learn that IF we sin (not when) and turn back to Him in contrition and repentance, and then immediately pick back up our shield of faith as to who we are and that sin have no more authority over us, we find that our faith grows! And as we become established in the faith, the arrows do not cease to be launched at us, but none make it past our shield and cause us to slip. 

God told Israel that every step rhe6 took was their possession, for God had already given them the land. Their job was to appropriate it as their own. And so it is with us. 

Blessings,

Gideon

• This is Worthy 1

You wrote, "...we are destined to win the battles."

I agree. Good word of encouragement!

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

One important thing about the wilderness I believe from scripture is that it is for the purpose of going on to perfection:

2Co 7:1

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Heb 6:1-2

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Isa 43:16-19

Thus saith the LORD, which maketh a way in the sea, and a path in the mighty waters;

Which bringeth forth the chariot and horse, the army and the power; they shall lie down together, they shall not rise: they are extinct, they are quenched as tow.

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.

Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Heb 13:12-14

Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

1Co 12:31

But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1Co 13:8-10

Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

1Jo 4:17-18

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

6 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

One important thing about the wilderness I believe from scripture is that it is for the purpose of going on to perfection:

2Co 7:1

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Heb 6:1-2

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Isa 43:16-19

Thus saith the LORD, which maketh a way in the sea, and a path in the mighty waters;

Which bringeth forth the chariot and horse, the army and the power; they shall lie down together, they shall not rise: they are extinct, they are quenched as tow.

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.

Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Heb 13:12-14

Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

1Co 12:31

But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1Co 13:8-10

Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

1Jo 4:17-18

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Absolutely! When we take our shield of faith and combine the blood of the lamb with our testimony as to who Christ has made us, declaring that sin has no more power over us, often people assume that means we are saying we are perfect. But the absence of the negative does not mean the fullness of the positive. 

When Israel entered the promised land, God told them that He had given them the land and that every step they took would be theirs. But they still had to go in and possess it. And it is taken by believing the promises of God. This is how the divine nature is shared with us,  from glory to glory. 

How important ant it is, however to finally come to hate ones walk in the wilderness. Lots of movement, lots of time passed, no progress. Jesus said that we must count the cost of following Him. But what a rare thing that is today in our modern take on Christianity. 

We we hear a lot of FREE, but counting the cost? Our itching ears cannot bear such a thing! And what is the cost to walking into and taking the land of promise? Hating our old nature..... self. 

Blessings, 

Gids

• This is Worthy 1