what the worst "biblical" advicd youve ever gotten

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

every day  we get advice  some good,some bad, some making you think the person's out to kill you. what's the worse you've ever gotten?

1. "If you want a wife,just tell God  if He wants you to kep serving him, he needs to give you one.

2.Me- I've heard people talk about going to strip clubs and I wonder if they really are all of that ( thankfully common sense kicked in and  i never went)

Person-Go ahead. you might learn someyhingvabout yourself.

3. Marry this illegal immigrant so she can get citizenship.

Me-What? you crazy . Why would i do that 

Person-You said you fancy her right?

What makes it funny iscall came from 1 person and said person professed to be saved.

Eventually I had to write off any advice they give as nonsese before they gave it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Bad Advice From Academia:

While it was on offer the Religious Studies course at a local University advised its students to complete course material in a way that shows they had learnt the following academic precept:

"All religions are man-made and are the same in that they prove the phenomenon of the human need to worship something or someone."   

I heard of Christians taking the course thinking it would be easy credits towards their degree but getting red-lines through their work and failing grades with comments from the tutor saying, "You have not expressed what we have taught!", and, "You were not asked to share your faith!". 

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50

22 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

every day  we get advice  some good,some bad, some making you think the person's out to kill you. what's the worse you've ever gotten?

1. "If you want a wife,just tell God  if He wants you to kep serving him, he needs to give you one.

2.Me- I've heard people talk about going to strip clubs and I wonder if they really are all of that ( thankfully common sense kicked in and  i never went)

Person-Go ahead. you might learn someyhingvabout yourself.

3. Marry this illegal immigrant so she can get citizenship.

Me-What? you crazy . Why would i do that 

Person-You said you fancy her right?

What makes it funny iscall came from 1 person and said person professed to be saved.

Eventually I had to write off any advice they give as nonsese before they gave it.

anything that has proven to be extremely harmful to mine life

they are usually distortion of scriptures by taking things out of context, such as "love assume the best" which really meant YOU MUST BELIEVE EVERYONE UNLESS THEY COME AT YOU WITH A KNIFE, in another word, in order to be a half decent christian, i must pretend everyone is trustworthy and kind and doesn't lie and allow them to take advantage of me and milk me dry!

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

i actually  had something sorta like that 

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

“ they shall take up serpents”.........ouch!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I have not ever received bad Biblical advice. Never ever.

I have received excellent counseling on subjects of interest and need from very wise elders. Praise God for them.

I think I will much rather be thankful for how God blesses me, than try to think of some bad  advice, Biblical or otherwise.  God the Holy Spirit has led me to churches that go through the Bible verse by verse rather than topically and contemporarily, churches with well educated elders and fine deacons and  pretty wonderful brothers and sisters too. Just haven't run into anything even close to what is presented as example of bad advice.

Maybe I have heard bad advice and just have been too busy with  great advisers to pay it any heed, nor even remember it. Can't imagine why I would want to clutter my limited brain's file cabinet space  with memories of bad advice. Anyway guess I have been blessed with just super local bodies of Christ and with fine congregation attendees and members, each encouraging the others.

Thanks for helping me realize how God has blessed!

Edited by Neighbor
spelling change
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50

On 7/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, Neighbor said:

I have not ever received bad Biblical advice. Never ever.

I have received excellent counseling on subjects of interest and need from very wise elders. Praise God for them.

I think I will much rather be thankful for how God blesses me, than try to think of some bad  advice, Biblical or otherwise.  God the Holy Spirit has led me to churches that go through the Bible verse by verse rather than topically and contemporarily, churches with well educated elders and fine deacons and  pretty wonderful brothers and sisters too. Just haven't run into anything even close to what is presented as example of bad advice.

Maybe I have heard bad advice and just have been too busy with  great advisers to pay it any heed, nor even remember it. Can't imagine why I would want to clutter my limited brain's file cabinet space  with memories of bad advice. Anyway guess I have been blessed with just super local bodies of Christ and with fine congregation attendees and members, each encouraging the others.

Thanks for helping me realize how God has blessed!

before you judge somebody, you might want to remember not everyone had the same privilege that you have had.

i am sure your intention is well, but not everyone have or had access to Godly advisers who does not have a personal agendas.

i for one have one nasty piece of work after another.

so there.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

33 minutes ago, Equippers said:

before you judge somebody, you might want to remember not everyone had the same privilege that you have had.

i am sure your intention is well, but not everyone have or had access to Godly advisers who does not have a personal agendas.

i for one have one nasty piece of work after another.

so there.

Dear Equippers, I had the "privilege " of meeting God, by way of losing family members to sudden deaths,  and by being dragged across country to tend to family needs, having my own career up ended, and finding myself working in an industry that I did not know, with 11 hostile partners, and a business to  run and sell.

My own breaking point  in my own denial of God and sin against Him was reached when I was in screaming pain from my chronic back issues and as I considered ending my life if I could only just move instead of scream. I was challenged by  what I now think was an angel, who was used of the Holy Spirit to turn me about to God right then and there.

I did not then become privileged on earth. Instead I faced five years of civil court battles at State and federal levels, and loss of a small fortune. Only to then be dragged back across country to  my old career to do a little something only I could do  at a church there.  And I did not greatly prosper even then, nor become privileged for that either. Instead I was stuck two years paying for a home clean across country from where I now had to live again.

Eventually I was once again called to  move back across country, and I started yet another career. In the process of life I have had six careers, suffered many injuries, had many personal hard losses of loved ones, and  physical assets, many times over.

Through it all I have never received anything but excellent Bible counsel which I do cherish, nor have I been led to anything but wondrously fine  local bodies of Christ Jesus. That is not a judgement by me of anyone. It is a declaration that I have never had bad biblical advice. I cling to the word of God as it is revealed by the Holy Spirit as I read and pray.

May God ease your pain. May the Holy Spirit guide you to many saints that do have love of  neighbor and stranger alike on their hearts, and knowledge through  the reveal of Jesus by the Holy Spirit to share and to comfort each other, all under the leadership of some blessed to the high responsibility of being an excellent elder pastor teacher and counselor. In that area, yes I am blessed for God has provided the perfect provision for my need each day. And I thank God.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Phil 4:8. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

1 thes 5:18.  
give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

Malachi 3. Pastors quote it as a law when the context is the Levi priests arnt tithing into storehouses to keep Israel in famine and its directed to the Levi priests not the laity.