Pure Waters

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Why did the couple in Acts of the Apostles immediately fall down and die when Peter confronted them?

Guest shiloh357
8 minutes ago, Pure Waters said:

Why did the couple in Acts of the Apostles immediately fall down and die when Peter confronted them?

Because they lied to the Holy Spirit.

So when it says they have Satan in their heart, was it Satan who killed them? Or what exactly killed them?

I mean Im a bit confused because I've never read of anyone who instantly died because of their sin(Probably because I just started reading the bible for the first time). Getting sick or possessed, that seems clear to me but instant death surprised me.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Hi Pure Waters, Here are my study notes on this subject. This is not the only forum I have posted them on. I hope they will increase your understanding:

THE MERCY OF GOD: The Holy Spirit motivated many of the early Christians to charity.

Acts 4:34-37
(34)  Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
(35)  And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
(36)  And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
(37)  Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

THE MEANNESS OF SATAN: A contrasting, counterfeit motivation is revealed to the apostle Peter. 

Act 5:1-2
(1)  But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
(2)  And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Acts 5:3
(3)  But Peter said, Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

Three things in collusion qualify the actions of Ananias and Saphira to be declared satanically motivated:

~ THEIR UNWILLINGNESS TO GIVE ALL

~ THEIR UNWILLINGNESS TO TELL ALL

~ THEIR AGREEMENT TO DECEIVE ALL

Acts 5:4
(4)  While it remained, was it not your own? and after it was sold, was it not in your own power? why have you conceived this thing in your heart? you have not lied unto men, but unto God.

THE MOTIVES OF TRANSGRESSORS: Three reasons they are caused to move contrary to the will of God.
- Rivalry. So there are people being charitable...we can compete with them...no problem.

- Ambition. So there are people being appreciated and commended...we will gain favour and advancement, eminence and applause, yes...and power! 

- Covetousness. So people shouldn't have to give things they want for themselves...there's no harm in accumulating and retaining wealth whenever, however, and from whomever you can.

THE JUDGMENT OF GOD: Instantly, with no recourse to repentance and restoration.

Acts 5:5-11
(5)  And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
(6)  And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
(7)  And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
(8)  And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether you sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
(9)  Then Peter said unto her, How is it that you have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
(10)  Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
(11)  And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

Why has Satan filled your heart? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? How is it that you have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord?

No chance is given Ananias and Saphira to answer these questions but God knows all things, and His swift response is a warning to all who imagine they can behave falsely.

Satan can fill anyone's heart if they allow him into it. Not a good idea! Eph 4:27 applies.  

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

43 minutes ago, Pure Waters said:

I mean Im a bit confused because I've never read of anyone who instantly died because of their sin(Probably because I just started reading the bible for the first time). Getting sick or possessed, that seems clear to me but instant death surprised me.

Hi Pure Waters,

Here are a couple of instances.

Genesis 38:10 And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

Leviticus 10:2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

2 Samuel 6:7 And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for hiserror; and there he died by the ark of God.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Hi Pure Waters, Here are my study notes on this subject. This is not the only forum I have posted them on. I hope they will increase your understanding:

THE MERCY OF GOD: The Holy Spirit motivated many of the early Christians to charity.

Acts 4:34-37
(34)  Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
(35)  And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
(36)  And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
(37)  Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

THE MEANNESS OF SATAN: A contrasting, counterfeit motivation is revealed to the apostle Peter. 

Act 5:1-2
(1)  But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
(2)  And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Acts 5:3
(3)  But Peter said, Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

Three things in collusion qualify the actions of Ananias and Saphira to be declared satanically motivated:

~ THEIR UNWILLINGNESS TO GIVE ALL

~ THEIR UNWILLINGNESS TO TELL ALL

~ THEIR AGREEMENT TO DECEIVE ALL

Acts 5:4
(4)  While it remained, was it not your own? and after it was sold, was it not in your own power? why have you conceived this thing in your heart? you have not lied unto men, but unto God.

THE MOTIVES OF TRANSGRESSORS: Three reasons they are caused to move contrary to the will of God.
- Rivalry. So there are people being charitable...we can compete with them...no problem.

- Ambition. So there are people being appreciated and commended...we will gain favour and advancement, eminence and applause, yes...and power! 

- Covetousness. So people shouldn't have to give things they want for themselves...there's no harm in accumulating and retaining wealth whenever, however, and from whomever you can.

THE JUDGMENT OF GOD: Instantly, with no recourse to repentance and restoration.

Acts 5:5-11
(5)  And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
(6)  And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
(7)  And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
(8)  And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether you sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
(9)  Then Peter said unto her, How is it that you have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
(10)  Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
(11)  And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

Why has Satan filled your heart? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? How is it that you have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord?

No chance is given Ananias and Saphira to answer these questions but God knows all things, and His swift response is a warning to all who imagine they can behave falsely.

Satan can fill anyone's heart if they allow him into it. Not a good idea! Eph 4:27 applies.  

Thanks! Thats just what I needed to understand it

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Pure Waters said:

This is a very strange event, and one that has never been repeated, by the apostles or Peter himself. 

There is a background that is part of this event, and goes further back to some events in the old testament. 

As one member has already mention a few. 

Event in the old testiment, the Lord did not punished the Israelites for their disobedience and their worshiping the Idols , all the time.

Some time he did, but after mass sinning from the people he asked for their repentance. 

Any way in the old Covenant the people used to bring gifts to the TEMPLE and ask the Lord for a favor. 

In this story at hand this couple said to Peter this is the money we got for the sale of the property. 

This is something they were supposed to do voluntarily, we do not know why they had decided to sell their property. 

Was it because that time they believe that Jesus was coming back any time during their time, I do not realy know. 

But this is one of the points: 

The Holly Spirit revealed to Peter their doings, of what they had plan to do, to say that this is all the money, when there was not. 

But this is the question, why Peter did what he did? 

Why Peter did not just confront them, and explain things to them, as he said that it was a volundary offering, and if they wanted to give only part of the money that was ok. 

And the Gospel is about repentance, why Peter did not asked them to repent, and to give them the opportunity to make things right. 

As Paul was teaching, if someone a stranger walks in our congregation, the prophet will reveal his sins he was hidding, so the people would know that nothing is hidden from the Lord and they can come to repentance. 

Peter never did that again, he must have acted in a hurry on his own, from the ways and the teachings of the old. 

The Lord must have use this event to teach Peter about repentance, that the ways in the new covenant are not an eye against an eye and a tooth agaist a tooth. 

Did he do it on his own guided by the events and the way in the old Covenant? 

Did he perceived that the Lord made it known to him so he can punish them , did he believe at that time that what he had to do. 

To find out later that he was wrong. 

The Lord had asked him to nourish the sheep, not to keel it.

From not doing it again and not teaching it to others, and not seeing others disciples doing that, Peter must have learn the way of the knew COVENANT, to call the sinners to repentance, for times of refreshments in the Lord. 

Even Jesus told him to forgive many times. 

To say that their heart was full of Satan is not correctly fraised , for this event I understand,  but not for everything else. 

For this plan of theirs, I understand. 

They were believers, and died believers. 

They were saved, because the had the imputed righteousness of Jesus CHRIST, even thought at the time of their death did not have their own. 

They believed. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

To whom it may be; 

Being responsible and accountable for what I post. 

So being kind and willing to explain something you feel that is not within your understanding. 

We all grow and this is something not to feel shy about, ni one was borned to know everything. 

"And the child grew in knowledge, understanding and wisdom". 

We are all children in that sense. 

You may use any words you feel you are comfortable to communicate your dismay. 

We are not going to pair your words to a dictionary and start judging, because behind every word there is a lot of thoughts, and we would like to know your thoughts and your words, to correctly understand you. 

And perhaps bless one another. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, Pure Waters said:

Peter did not execute this couple..  The Holy Spirit ended their lives..

The situation was that people where selling their properties and giving all their money to the Christian community to help support it..

The couple in question sold all their belongings as the rest but they held back part of their money..

Now the lie to the Holy Spirit was that they had claimed they where doing as the others where doing,, Selling everything and giving all their money over to the community..

But they where lying.. They wanted to have the appreciation and credibility for giving all they had to the community.. And at the same time keep some money for themselves..

The Holy Spirit caused Peter to know the truth and Peter confronted them with the truth..

I am not even sure that Peter even knew that the couple would die until it happened before his eyes..

• Thumbs Up 2