• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

34 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

hmm, I don't know about that one.  Fasting is physically debilitating. I think a major reason for a time of fasting is to cleanse the physical body while engaging in building up the spiritual body within the fleshly one  concentrating on food for the eternal soul.

Trying to fast while doing hard work,  over hot commercial kitchen grills for a 10 hour shift as a fry cook for example, may be a bit of a hard trial  for the physical body without benefiting the spirit at all.

A fast for a day while going about one's work  mostly tends to make me think about food for my body while  I should be thinking  about doing my work.

If I am to fast I will like to make that time a dedication to reading God's word, seeking  the guidance of the Holy Spirit for understanding of the Bible as it may be applied by me personally, praising God and asking of Him for intercession for others and myself, in the name of Jesus who is my lord God and savior.

Now a health fast is yet another thing, and I don't know that I can endorse it's supposed value. The longest one I endured was twelve days. While I may have temporarily cleansed my physical body, I don't think I benefited my spirit, and the physical body soon returned to what it wanted  or demanded to be anyway. And truly I don't think it benefitted my health, just gave me a temporary allusion that I had done some responsible thing regarding my physical health. I don't think it added nor subtracted a moment from my allotted time. My soul may have required of me at any moment then after all that fasting, just as it may be at any moment now.

Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you CAN do something, or you think you CAN'T..... you are probably correct in your assessment of yourself."  (paraphrased)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

33 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

hmm, I don't know about that one.  Fasting is physically debilitating. I think a major reason for a time of fasting is to cleanse the physical body while engaging in building up the spiritual body within the fleshly one  concentrating on food for the eternal soul.

Trying to fast while doing hard work,  over hot commercial kitchen grills for a 10 hour shift as a fry cook for example, may be a bit of a hard trial  for the physical body without benefiting the spirit at all.

A fast for a day while going about one's work  mostly tends to make me think about food for my body while  I should be thinking  about doing my work.

If I am to fast I will like to make that time a dedication to reading God's word, seeking  the guidance of the Holy Spirit for understanding of the Bible as it may be applied by me personally, praising God and asking of Him for intercession for others and myself, in the name of Jesus who is my lord God and savior.

Now a health fast is yet another thing, and I don't know that I can endorse it's supposed value. The longest one I endured was twelve days. While I may have temporarily cleansed my physical body, I don't think I benefited my spirit, and the physical body soon returned to what it wanted  or demanded to be anyway. And truly I don't think it benefitted my health, just gave me a temporary allusion that I had done some responsible thing regarding my physical health. I don't think it added nor subtracted a moment from my allotted time. My soul may have required of me at any moment then after all that fasting, just as it may be at any moment now.

The Greeks talked about fasting for mental clarity.  Basically, getting your body off the roller coaster of using glucose (sugar / carb) for energy can lead to more constant overall energy levels.  When your body switches from glucose to ketones as a primary energy source, the brain can frequently function better.  There are studies with lots of microbiology explaining all that.  

If we define fasting as eating no food and no drinks with calories like juice, different lengths of fasting can yield different benefits.  Fasting for under three days likely keeps a person's body in glucose mode, so you don't get the mental clarity benefit.  If you don't watch your electrolyte levels carefully, the process of switching from glucose to ketones can be unpleasant and is even coined 'keto flu'.  If your electrolytes are good and you make it past three days, your body is likely switching to ketones for energy.  That means glucose reserves are used up and your body is burning fat for energy.  At that point, one will likely stop being hungry as much and the mental clarity starts being apparent.  Note for some people this can take a couple extra days.  Cravings for sweets and carbs typically takes about three weeks to go away.

A four day fast has been noted to cause one's body to start rebuilding the immune system.  If one does a fast beyond 21 days, the body may have time to rebuild much of the digestive system.  I've done fasts up to 28 days in the past and my experience matched these predictions.

Everyone is different.  Some people can easily fast for long times, with others it's more complicated.  Do your research and be careful if you decide to trying fasting beyond skipping a meal or two.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Many people say a lot of things. (It is written that even Satan is known to have a few snappy sayings). 

I don't think I will jump on following the like of Henry Ford even as succesful as he may have been.  

But, I am interested in working to better understanding and implementation  of  fasts as presented at Isaiah 58.  That will be I think beneficial. So thanks for the thread as it has led me to yet another aspect of life to consider and review for further application.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

14 minutes ago, bryan said:

The Greeks talked about fasting for mental clarity.  Basically, getting your body off the roller coaster of using glucose (sugar / carb) for energy can lead to more constant overall energy levels.  When your body switches from glucose to ketones as a primary energy source, the brain can frequently function better.  There are studies with lots of microbiology explaining all that.  

If we define fasting as eating no food and no drinks with calories like juice, different lengths of fasting can yield different benefits.  Fasting for under three days likely keeps a person's body in glucose mode, so you don't get the mental clarity benefit.  If you don't watch your electrolyte levels carefully, the process of switching from glucose to ketones can be unpleasant and is even coined 'keto flu'.  If your electrolytes are good and you make it past three days, your body is likely switching to ketones for energy.  That means glucose reserves are used up and your body is burning fat for energy.  At that point, one will likely stop being hungry as much and the mental clarity starts being apparent.  Note for some people this can take a couple extra days.  Cravings for sweets and carbs typically takes about three weeks to go away.

A four day fast has been noted to cause one's body to start rebuilding the immune system.  If one does a fast beyond 21 days, the body may have time to rebuild much of the digestive system.  I've done fasts up to 28 days in the past and my experience matched these predictions.

Everyone is different.  Some people can easily fast for long times, with others it's more complicated.  Do your research and be careful if you decide to trying fasting beyond skipping a meal or two.

Hi, Yes I have been there done that as the saying goes. I have a now old family member that spent much time in the microbiology aspects of it all and became a "practitioner" for many years. It in my own opinion did not benefit greatly, but it did cause some, unnecessary grief, including my own.

My own warning to all is do not obsess with it. Do not let it rule over you and do not use it as a substitute for good medical assistance. Never delay seeking the counsel and examination by a physican thinking that testing for ph and electrolytes and so called Biblical diet and fasting will be a good program for good health maintenance, as compared to such things as-  for women having a Pap smear test, and for men having a prostate exam. Cancer is a hard, hard, way to go as many of us so personally know that have lost loved ones to it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

I shall share some of Jesus’ thoughts, “Jesus answered, "Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; in those days they will fast." (Luke 5:34-35)

Fasting or abstaining from food for spiritual reasons is something we can do until Jesus Returns and all fasting ends, “And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.” (Revelation  19:9). 

Fasting and feasting are major part of God and us. The Holy Trinity wants to eat with us like He did with the elders in Exodus 24:1-18 and The Lord’s Supper (Luke 22:14-20). 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

42 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Fasting or abstaining from food for spiritual reasons is something we can do until Jesus Returns and all fasting ends

Dear Brother in Christ Fidel Defensor, what those Pharisees were doing in my opinion were throwing the old tactic of law keeping at Jesus.

True fasting was not denying self, but being a blessing to others, although much of the Church adapted those Jewish habits. If you read Matthew 6:16, you’ll see those did their fasting to be noticed.

Let’s take a look at a true fast.

Isa 58:4  . . . ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.

Isa 58:6  Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

Isa 58:7  Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Isa 58:8  Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

Isa 58:9  Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am.

Blessings in Christ Jesus.   :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

8 minutes ago, Larry 2 said:

Dear Brother in Christ Fidel Defensor, what those Pharisees were doing in my opinion were throwing the old tactic of law keeping at Jesus.

True fasting was not denying self, but being a blessing to others, although much of the Church adapted those Jewish habits. If you read Matthew 6:16, you’ll see those did their fasting to be noticed.

Let’s take a look at a true fast.

Isa 58:4  . . . ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.

Isa 58:6  Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

Isa 58:7  Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Isa 58:8  Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

Isa 58:9  Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am.

Blessings in Christ Jesus.   :)

Indeed, that is one of the fasts. A better one in fact. I was referring to the fast that rests the body and allows the spirit to be strengthen in the Lord. :)