Sign in to follow this  
Debp

Travel

Just wondering where you might have travelled in your life time?

I was in the travel field for some years.... blessed to visit Great Britain, Hawaii, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia (including Borneo), Hong Kong.  Also, Arizona when I visited family there, and Oregon where I attended Multnomah for awhile.

Are there any places you would like to visit?

We've traveled to many countries over the years, including Russia, Turkey, Estonia, Greece, Egypt, Brazil, Argentina, and many more. I love to travel. I certainly view the world differently now.

My goto bucket list includes Iceland, Israel, Scotland and New Zealand. 

• Loved it! 1

I've traveled to Isreal when my mom was pregnant with me. Here is where I've also traveled.

1. Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

2. Okeechobee, Florida.

3. Fripp Island

4. Maggie Valley, North Carolina

5. West Virginia

I've traveled a lot of other places as well.

• Loved it! 1

we've been to all the states except Michigan and Wisconsin...

Caribbean Islands, Belize, Mexico, Aruba, Canada     Prince Edward Island and saw the House of Green Gables Farm.

Points of interest in all the states are too numerous to mention, but my favorites are things like the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mesa Verdi,  Drive along the coast of Washington State, Oregon and northern California, Glacier National Park, Mormon Temple area, Canyons in Utah,  Mount Rushmore, Carlsbad Caverns,  Savannah, Charleston, various show houses from Savannah to Pennsylvania.  Washington DC, New York City.   one of my favorites is Sedona Az. 

Driving vacations all through the East bypassing interstate highways...    Natchez Trail drive is interesting along with the Blue Ridge and other scenic drives.

Xerox had a training center on a two thousand acre wildlife refuge site about seven miles east of Leasburg Va., and I spent many weeks there which gave us a relative short drive to Washington CD on weekends...    I've spent days and days in the Smithsonian over the 30 years attending classes at Leasburg. and day driving trips in all directions from there.

Found $50 in LA, and got mugged in Chicago....   I guess life works out in the end.

Edited by other one
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

and I have about 40,000 pictures of all the places we have traveled to since about 1998.    241 gigabytes to have to worry about loosing.

Surely too many places to list

Unfortunately there were many times when I didn't collect pictures

I think I'd be happy to worry about a good collection like that

I haven't been to Japan for a few years so thats on my list

Also never got to see the grand canyon so thats on too

If only time would permit

• Loved it! 1

one of my favorite days at the Xerox Training center was one weekend on a long school it was my week to rent a car....   several of the other students wanted to drive over to the Antietam Battle Field.   I had gone with others the week before and we just drove by there but didn't stop.....   I really didn't want to go but I was the only one that could drive the rental so I took them.

Well as we approached the area we saw a bunch of people walking up the road.....  as we topped the last hill to get a really good view it was much more than a few.....  there were literally hundreds upon hundreds of people everywhere in full costume of a reenactment of that battle.   I have never been so impressed with anything before or after that day.

In case you have never really read about it I'll post the story of what happened that day...…      and watching in real life people playing out that day was the most moving thing I had/have ever seen.

do a google search using "Antietam national park video"  and choose the one that is the Park Rangers speaking...

The American Battlefield Trust is also a good one...

19 hours ago, SimonB said:

Surely too many places to list

Unfortunately there were many times when I didn't collect pictures

I think I'd be happy to worry about a good collection like that

I haven't been to Japan for a few years so thats on my list

Also never got to see the grand canyon so thats on too

If only time would permit

Enjoyed reading about everyone's travels.

Since you mentioned Japan: I really loved Kyoto with it's thousands of gardens....each temple has a large garden.   The Golden Pavilion in Kyoto is a must-see....the graceful, golden temple is perfectly reflected in the lake.   Heian Shrine's gardens are also beautiful.

Also, Nikko is a lovely trip.... you can also do it as a day trip out of Tokyo by rail, then by bus.   There are 32 hairpin turns to take you up the mountain to see the lake and Toshugo Shrine.   The architecture is really beautiful and interesting.  I went in Autumn so the mountain's colors were so pretty.

If I ever could go back to Japan, I wouldn't do Tokyo....I appreciate the older architecture and gardens.

NHK (Japan tv) has some good travel programs on different areas of Japan.   They also have a couple of programs on how to get around on their excellent rail system.  NHK has an app with all of their programs.

Did briefly see the Grand Canyon....a lightning storm came up suddenly and the bolts were striking into the bottom of the Canyon!  Quite a sight!  Also, some native American ladies had their wares put down on blankets to sell at the edge of the Canyon...they hurriedly picked up everything before the rain started.

Its true there are so many interesting things to see and do in Japan and never enough tie to do them.

One of the most interesting was being buried in the sand down at Ibusuki.

Its supposed to be very healthy but it gets real hot real soon.

I had a competition with a friend to see who could stay buried longer :) 

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2018 at 7:41 AM, SimonB said:

Its true there are so many interesting things to see and do in Japan and never enough tie to do them.

One of the most interesting was being buried in the sand down at Ibusuki.

Its supposed to be very healthy but it gets real hot real soon.

I had a competition with a friend to see who could stay buried longer :) 

That's not my cup of tea!  Too hot around here lately!

My favorite country of the ones I visited in Asia is Thailand.  It has alot of pretty scenery, lovely architecture with ornate mosaics and gold leaf, ancient ruins of Ayuthaya and Sukothai, the canals you can travel on, water buffalo, hill tribe villages up in the mountains, etc.   I spent 9 days going from Bangkok all the way North to Chaing Rai including the area where the boys were lost in the cave.    The previous year I visited Bangkok but went back for the longer tour I like it so much.

Sign in to follow this