Neighbor

Where in the USA is .....?

1 hour ago, Cobalt1959 said:

It was mostly tongue in cheek, but I haven't been to any other state I like as much as Arizona.  Oregon comes in a close second but the people there are way too liberal.  My wife and I just got back from Kingman, where I used to live and I am already homesick.  She'd never been there but just three days soured her on the Midwest.  The desert and mountains get in your blood and you can't get rid of it. 

Kingman Az.  Used to know the KOA franchise operator there long ago.

2 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

The desert and mountains get in your blood and you can't get rid of it. 

You can keep the deserts, Washington State would be my pick...minus St. Helens area, lol.

7 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

My wife and I just got back from Kingman, where I used to live and I am already homesick.  She'd never been there but just three days soured her on the Midwest.  The desert and mountains get in your blood and you can't get rid of it. 

That is so true. Im a desert rat. For all the traveling Ive done, arizona is definitely home. 

10 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

The desert and mountains get in your blood and you can't get rid of it. 

Not to mention in your shoes....

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Funny! The thread has turned into a travelog of sorts. LOL

Well to add to fine places to be in life;  if I have my own druthers I as soon be back on a kayak at offshore Florida  Suncoast Gulf waters. Or even better  running the rivers of inland Central Florida around Ocala area, frightening gators and deer alike as I spin through the faster moving twists and turns  gaining speed and  distance onto the larger wider expanse of the merging river tributaries. See opportunities at  http://www.florida-outdoors.com/article_ocala_canoe.htm and an excerpt from that site "

"Juniper Creek

The canoe trip from Juniper Springs Recreation Area to Juniper Wayside flows about 7 miles through the heart of the Juniper Prairie Wilderness. You will be surrounded by a lush tropical forest comprised of palms, cypress and many kinds of southern hardwoods. The first 2.5 miles of this creek are narrow and winding, with a channel scarcely wider than 6 feet. Past Half-Way Landing, the stream broadens out and becomes shallow and slow moving. There are no intermediate access points, and the average family takes about 4-5 hours to complete the trip. "

I loved the start at the Juniper river canoe rental spot at the Ocala National Park. I dropped in my own kayak there  at the little spring. It was like  a little Disneyland ride, gentle too gentle at first with very shallow water, then it expanded and got deeper and there were tree trunks to duck. I heard the serious thump behind me of my large friend on his own canoe as he grabbed a tree trunk spanning across the river, that I had managed to duck, He had hit it with his belly first.

Later on after many joinings of spring fed river water tributaries I made a choice of one of three passages and found good speed and then an opening and a bend with two gators napping on the very small sandy beach like spot in the sun.  I had never seen a gator run backward before! Tail first  as they were spooked by me approaching fast on my sit on top kayak. They run tippy toe backward, tail first! As they hit the tall grasses some five feet tall, three deer the size of elks lept high above those tall grasses almost into the low Florida sky and just disappeared from sight as I whizzed past on my turn.

Later the river exapands yet again and again, until opening into a quite wide body of river with a small park landing point, limited civilization and  a trailer-truck  to pick us up and tow us back up river. Great fun place to be!

Edited by Neighbor
  • Haha 1