• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Willie T said:

I feel it is important that we understand what "repentance" actually is.  If you like, I can PM you an article that puts a clearer light on it than most of the explanations I've read.  But, first, I am curious as to what you believe the word "repent" means.

Again, I thank you all SO much for the eye-opening discussion and advice. It really is helping me! And to Willie T? I believe, personally and I may be incorrect, that repentance is the act of realizing that you’re dead in sin and NEED jesus to reform the way you live. It’s kinda like a change of the mind a “renewing.” And, from that, comes the natural DESIRE to live a better life and be more loving. How does that sound?

1 hour ago, Still Alive said:

There is NOTHING loving about that. It's not the gospel. It's not the message of Jesus or his apostles. The book of acts can be helpful.

But read this: http://jewishnotgreek.com/

I agree with you! But can’t you see where they come from? It makes me question if I’m doing it right because they seem to have biblical backing for “exposing sin” and “judging righteously.” But I don’t want to judge! That’d be hypocritical because I too, though I work to stop it, sin of course ?. And I feel like “exposing” them and all that would push them MORE away from God’s love. Thoughts? Is there a middle balance to come to? Thanks!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, Tyler S. said:

I agree with you! But can’t you see where they come from? It makes me question if I’m doing it right because they seem to have biblical backing for “exposing sin” and “judging righteously.” But I don’t want to judge! That’d be hypocritical because I too, though I work to stop it, sin of course ?. And I feel like “exposing” them and all that would push them MORE away from God’s love. Thoughts? Is there a middle balance to come to? Thanks!

Don't judge them. Don't push them. Not everyone is chosen. Many Christians see the human race as two groups: Sheep and Goats. I see it as three groups: Found sheep, lost sheep and goats. If you are talking to someone that is not a found sheep, they are either a lost sheep or a goat. Don't try to turn goats into found sheep. Just share the gospel, enjoy people's company and let the Lord do the rest.

BTW, This verse may already have been brought up, but if not (bold mine):

I Corinthians 5: 9-11

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1

25 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

Again, I thank you all SO much for the eye-opening discussion and advice. It really is helping me! And to Willie T? I believe, personally and I may be incorrect, that repentance is the act of realizing that you’re dead in sin and NEED jesus to reform the way you live. It’s kinda like a change of the mind a “renewing.” And, from that, comes the natural DESIRE to live a better life and be more loving. How does that sound?

I'd say you have pretty well nailed it. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

People not all that versed in Christianity really don't understand that the Bible actually can be used to "prove" just about anything at all.  And sometimes the very same verse/verses can be (and often is/are) used to justify either loving or hating someone or their lifestyle.  There is a saying that I think is more than true:  "You will find (and worship) the god you look for."

• Thumbs Up 1

On a little side-note to think about.....  Usually, what specific people was it that Jesus, John, et al, were telling to "repent?"  (nationality and religious practices)

12 minutes ago, Willie T said:

On a little side-note to think about.....  Usually, what specific people was it that Jesus, John, et al, were telling to "repent?"  (nationality and religious practices)

Wasn’t it the lowly people of the society? Pagans, lepers, the poor, the hated (like the tax collector), he even saved the Canaanite woman. Also he instructed that all, even gentiles, are available to be saved. The only people he really rebuked were the Pharisees as far as I can see. Also, follow up, do you think that if a Pharisee who’d spent his whole life basically focusing on the wrong things and attacking the credibility of Christ, therefore leading others astray, would be accepted by Jesus if he repented of his ways and found the truth? 

50 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Don't judge them. Don't push them. Not everyone is chosen. Many Christians see the human race as two groups: Sheep and Goats. I see it as three groups: Found sheep, lost sheep and goats. If you are talking to someone that is not a found sheep, they are either a lost sheep or a goat. Don't try to turn goats into found sheep. Just share the gospel, enjoy people's company and let the Lord do the rest.

BTW, This verse may already have been brought up, but if not (bold mine):

I Corinthians 5: 9-11

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

This really strikes at the HEART of my issue... “don’t even eat with such people?” Wouldn’t outright shunning the sinners TRULY damn them? They may do bad things but I don’t think that I can name a single person who can do something bad enough for me to HATE them and purposefully keep Gods love from their lives....that would essentially be me condemning them to hell. And the whole analogy of the sheep and goats makes me think...if the world truly is divided up that way does that mean that some people are...just goats? And are therefore PREDESTINED to hell?! That would completely erase everything I hold true. Aren’t all able to come as they are regardless of their pasts and be saved and accept the truth? I mean come on...what would have happened if Jesus had basically shunned the theif on the cross who’d spent his whole life doing the wrong thing? I feel like the phrase “don’t even eat with them” is wayyyy harsh and doesn’t reflect the way Jesus himself treated the “bad” people of society. Thoughts? Am I wrong? Did I miss the picture? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

Wasn’t it the lowly people of the society? Pagans, lepers, the poor, the hated (like the tax collector), he even saved the Canaanite woman. Also he instructed that all, even gentiles, are available to be saved. The only people he really rebuked were the Pharisees as far as I can see. Also, follow up, do you think that if a Pharisee who’d spent his whole life basically focusing on the wrong things and attacking the credibility of Christ, therefore leading others astray, would be accepted by Jesus if he repented of his ways and found the truth? 

You bring up some good points, but I had something more direct in mind.  Perhaps I should have been more specific.

When Jerusalem was full of people from all over the country and they heard John The Baptist and Jesus preaching, exactly who were most of these people, and how was it that they were all in Jerusalem at that particular time?  (Don't try to make this out to be a "deep" question, it is really an ultra simple case of identifying a particular group of people in town at the time.

Edited by Willie T

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

This really strikes at the HEART of my issue... “don’t even eat with such people?” Wouldn’t outright shunning the sinners TRULY damn them? They may do bad things but I don’t think that I can name a single person who can do something bad enough for me to HATE them and purposefully keep Gods love from their lives....that would essentially be me condemning them to hell. And the whole analogy of the sheep and goats makes me think...if the world truly is divided up that way does that mean that some people are...just goats? And are therefore PREDESTINED to hell?! That would completely erase everything I hold true. Aren’t all able to come as they are regardless of their pasts and be saved and accept the truth? I mean come on...what would have happened if Jesus had basically shunned the theif on the cross who’d spent his whole life doing the wrong thing? I feel like the phrase “don’t even eat with them” is wayyyy harsh and doesn’t reflect the way Jesus himself treated the “bad” people of society. Thoughts? Am I wrong? Did I miss the picture? Thanks!

The bolded part. Read the bolded part. It is the context in which this is said.

And what you are talking about is Universalism. The bible does contain scripture that both supports and rejects it. But it supports it only in a "something that happens in a future age" sort of way, and rejects it concerning this age. But that's assuming it happens at all.

Remember, Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners. He got a lot of grief for that. He did it anyway.