• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Tyler S. said:

And that good news for all people is that Christ died for us as a free gift of mercy from God so that we might be able to get to heaven and be saved (so long as we repent and strive to live a good life)?

Not exactly, but you're on the right track.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, Willie T said:

So then please! Shed some light if ya have any to shed ?? I’m really needing some “good news” right now and I was really thinking that that was it. I mean if you look at something like Titus 3:5-8 what am I missing? 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,886
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Mat 10:7
(7)  And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

I like this verse because of the phrase "as you go". As I go about my day I slip the Gospel in wherever I can with whomever I can. You don't have to be a manic street preacher or somebody special. If a waiter delivers my hot chocolate with cinnamon and marshmallows I can say "Thanks. That looks great. Praise the Lord. I'm going to enjoy this." If it leads to a conversation about the need for salvation even though it would be an interactive conversation it would still be preaching - preaching as I go.

As an employer for over 30 years I get all sorts but I make sure they know I am a Christian and they sign a contract which stipulates that habitual foul language and abusive behaviour is grounds for dismissal. I share the Gospel with unsaved employees as we labour and toil or travel or rest and eat. I engage in conversations in which I reject the false ideas about Christianity that a lot of unsaved people have. I know it makes some of the more ungodly employees uncomfortable but where does the Bible teach us to make the unsaved comfortable about their sin?

One thing I don't do is get sidetracked about "the church". If the Gospel is confined to the pastor in the pulpit preaching to passive pew-sitters then it's not reaching those it should be.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

Mat 10:7
(7)  And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

I like this verse because of the phrase "as you go". As I go about my day I slip the Gospel in wherever I can with whomever I can. You don't have to be a manic street preacher or somebody special. If a waiter delivers my hot chocolate with cinnamon and marshmallows I can say "Thanks. That looks great. Praise the Lord. I'm going to enjoy this." If it leads to a conversation about the need for salvation even though it would be an interactive conversation it would still be preaching - preaching as I go.

As an employer for over 30 years I get all sorts but I make sure they know I am a Christian and they sign a contract which stipulates that habitual foul language and abusive behaviour is grounds for dismissal. I share the Gospel with unsaved employees as we labour and toil or travel or rest and eat. I engage in conversations in which I reject the false ideas about Christianity that a lot of unsaved people have. I know it makes some of the more ungodly employees uncomfortable but where does the Bible teach us to make the unsaved comfortable about their sin?

One thing I don't do is get sidetracked about "the church". If the Gospel is confined to the pastor in the pulpit preaching to passive pew-sitters then it's not reaching those it should be.

I actually agree and thank you for sharing! I have to remember sometimes that Jesus didn’t come to save the already righteous...he blatantly came to deliver SINNERS to repentance and salvation. So they’re the ones that need it most (and since we’re all sinners I guess we all need it). It’s truly good news. Thank you for the responses! Bless ?

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

The problem is that God loves sinners but hates their sins.  That is why God provided Jesus to wipe out our sin and confer on us His righteousness, so that we can be in God's presence and He can live in us.  

So God really loves and pities your gay friends and wants them to come to repentance.  However, when you are listening to the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to guide you, He will open up opportunities to witness to them.  Sometimes they even ask you questions.  At times like that I say a quickie prayer: "  God, give me Your words--"   Then I trust Him to give me what I need to say.  But without God's holy love for them dwelling in you, your words will be empty noise.  So do keep praying for your friends that they be saved.  Ask God to open their eyes and prepare their hearts.  

Salvation is a free gift.  God saves us because we need His help.  We can't earn salvation.  We come as we are and He changes our desires to conform to His will.  Then we learn to follow His Spirit as He draws us.  He usually starts by leading us to turn away from our sin and desiring His forgiveness through Jesus.  Then He may create a hunger for the Bible,  for being baptized, and for fellowship with other Christians.  We may even have more love for our old friends because of God's love growing in us, but often our old friends reject us.  That is hard, but just pray for them more, care for them anyhow, and forgive them.  That is what Jesus did.

• Loved it! 1

9 hours ago, Tyler S. said:
10 hours ago, Willie T said:

So then please! Shed some light if ya have any to shed ?? I’m really needing some “good news” right now and I was really thinking that that was it. I mean if you look at something like Titus 3:5-8 what am I missing? 

I feel it is important that we understand what "repentance" actually is.  If you like, I can PM you an article that puts a clearer light on it than most of the explanations I've read.  But, first, I am curious as to what you believe the word "repent" means.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,518
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

How to treat others, and how will others treat you will be two different things altogether! As you will find you cannot participate nor will you want to participate in things that others of the world will want to enjoy, you will find yourself excluding and being excluded at times. That is really  good at two levels; one you don't want to be involved in certain  happenings and activities of the world. Plus secondly, the world is recognizing that you are different that you are  a child of God a bond-servant of Jesus.

You will still have love and friendship for your acquaintances. It is a burden at times, and it is a privilege as well. The joy of knowing God comes at the price of the world knowing you know God.

Take your time in emulating  any Christian, take time to read  study pray and seek the lead of the Holy Spirit as you do. The word of God learned, is your armor, learn of it polish it well and wear it. It is not easy it don't expect it to be, but persevere in the faith of your savior Jesus to God's glory as it pleases Him.  May God bless you greatly. Amen.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Brilliant! 1

14 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

How to treat others, and how will others treat you will be two different things altogether! As you will find you cannot participate nor will you want to participate in things that others of the world will want to enjoy, you will find yourself excluding and being excluded at times. That is really  good at two levels; one you don't want to be involved in certain  happenings and activities of the world. Plus secondly, the world is recognizing that you are different that you are  a child of God a bond-servant of Jesus.

You will still have love and friendship for your acquaintances. It is a burden at times, and it is a privilege as well. The joy of knowing God comes at the price of the world knowing you know God.

Take your time in emulating  any Christian, take time to read  study pray and seek the lead of the Holy Spirit as you do. The word of God learned, is your armor, learn of it polish it well and wear it. It is not easy it don't expect it to be, but persevere in the faith of your savior Jesus to God's glory as it pleases Him.  May God bless you greatly. Amen.

Tyler,

Take the time to reread *Neighbor's* post here.  He said some very important things... especially the phrase about being careful not to run to emulate some other Christian.  God made you to be special, yourself, and not a "carbon copy" of someone else.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

13 hours ago, Tyler S. said:

...but I browse Christian sites and social media groups and I stumble across a lot of people who believe that TRULY loving a sinner involves getting at them and telling them that they’ll burn in Hell for eternity...

There is NOTHING loving about that. It's not the gospel. It's not the message of Jesus or his apostles. The book of acts can be helpful.

But read this: http://jewishnotgreek.com/

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, Tyler S. said:

And that good news for all people is that Christ died for us as a free gift of mercy from God so that we might be able to get to heaven and be saved (so long as we repent and strive to live a good life)?

No. First, remove the part within the parentheses. Second, it is not about going to heaven. It is about being saved from the curse brought to all of us through Adam's sin. That curse is death of the person, not just the body. The free gift (mercy/Grace) saves you from death. Not death of the perishable body you occupy, but death of YOU.

The striving to live a good life is what you do because you want to please your creator, not because you need to do it to be saved. The latter is what Muslims believe.

• Thumbs Up 1