• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, Willie T said:

You bring up some good points, but I had something more direct in mind.  Perhaps I should have been more specific.

When Jerusalem was full of people from all over the country and they heard John The Baptist and Jesus preaching, exactly who were most of these people, and how was it that they were all in Jerusalem at that particular time?

I apologize ? I suppose I’ve always just thought of it in such general terms. I guess that’s dumbing it down though, in which case I’m afraid I don’t actually know. Are you referring to when the apostles spoke on tongues and all the different peoples were able to hear the scripture in their native languages? If you are weren’t they called there BECAUSE they heard talk of a messiah? I’m sorry I guess I really don’t know the answer in specific enough terms ?. Thanks! 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

I apologize ? I suppose I’ve always just thought of it in such general terms. I guess that’s dumbing it down though, in which case I’m afraid I don’t actually know. Are you referring to when the apostles spoke on tongues and all the different peoples were able to hear the scripture in their native languages? If you are weren’t they called there BECAUSE they heard talk of a messiah? I’m sorry I guess I really don’t know the answer in specific enough terms ?. Thanks! 

Yes, you have the correct time period.  However, they were almost all there because they were devout, God-Fearing Jews, and it was part of their religious worship to make that long, arduous journey to Jerusalem to perform a religious ritual.  These were not defilers of God's word.  They were not deliberate sinners.  These were people who were far more religious and God-oriented than most of us today.

But despite all they tried hard to do to keep the commandments, and keep the 613 Jewish laws, and tithe regularly, and feed the poor, and stay ceremonially "clean", etc...…  John and Jesus BOTH told them what?  They told these VERY God-Fearing and religious people who never would dream of deliberately sinning in any way, to "REPENT."

Now, doesn't that sound a little strange?  Just what were they telling them to do?  Clean up their evil lives?  Feel sorry for all the bad things they did all the time?  Hardly.  It was something else.  What do you suppose it was?

Edited by Willie T

8 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Yes, you have the correct time period.  However, they were almost all there because they were devout, God-Fearing Jews, and it was part of their religious worship to make that long, arduous journey to Jerusalem to perform a religious ritual.  These were not defilers of God's word.  They were not deliberate sinners.  These were people who were far more religious and God-oriented than most of us today.

But despite all they tried hard to do to keep the commandments, and keep the 613 Jewish laws, and tithe regularly, and feed the poor, and stay ceremonially "clean", etc...…  John and Jesus BOTH told them what?  They told these VERY God-Fearing and religious people who never would dream of deliberately sinning in any way, to "REPENT."

Now, doesn't that sound a little strange?  Just what were they telling them to do?  Clean up their evil lives?  Feel sorry for all the bad things they did all the time?  Hardly.  It was something else.  What do you suppose it was?

Well I doubt they were “sinless” only Christ was. So maybe he was calling for them to renew their minds in Christ’s new covenant truth? To realize their imminent deaths in sin and turn to HIM for salvation rather than to THEMSELVES and their WORKS for salvation? Thank you for engaging with me!

9 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

Well I doubt they were “sinless” only Christ was. So maybe he was calling for them to renew their minds in Christ’s new covenant truth? To realize their imminent deaths in sin and turn to HIM for salvation rather than to THEMSELVES and their WORKS for salvation? Thank you for engaging with me!

You are right at the door.  They were being told that the old system was about to be destroyed (it WAS, just 40 years later) and that such a system would no longer be what they needed to look toward for Eternal Life.

Edited by Willie T

4 minutes ago, Willie T said:

You are right at the door.  They were being told that the old system was about to be destroyed (it WAS, just 40 years later) and that such a system would no longer be what they needed to look toward for Eternal Life.

Ah I understand. So would you say that SALVATION ITSELF doesn’t come from what we do because none of us could EVER do enough to EARN our way to God? That being said I’m well aware that God still desires us to strive for holiness for holiness sake. 

8 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

Ah I understand. So would you say that SALVATION ITSELF doesn’t come from what we do because none of us could EVER do enough to EARN our way to God? That being said I’m well aware that God still desires us to strive for holiness for holiness sake. 

Every word you said is right on target.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

18 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

Yep. I look at it this way: Imagine you had a loving, generous and wise father who taught you how to do the right thing and live a happy and productive life for both yourself and those you came into contact with. Would you ever find yourself thinking that you had better not do a thing your dad counselled against because you were afraid he'd write you out of the will, or because you knew it was simply the wrong thing to do and you knew his instruction was given in the spirit of instruction for a joyful life?

If it's the former, you're doing it wrong. ;)

And we are described as his heirs.

Edited by Still Alive

2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Yep. I look at it this way: Imagine you had a loving, generous and wise father who taught you how to do the right thing and live a happy and productive life for both yourself and those you came into contact with. Would you ever find yourself thinking that you had better not do a thing your dad counselled against because you were afraid he'd write you out of the will, or because you knew it was simply the wrong thing to do and you knew his instruction was given in the spirit of instruction for a joyful life?

And we are described as his heirs.

6 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Every word you said is right on target.

I agree with you both and, as I’ve read, that’s the same conclusion that I myself have come to. I feel as though this is actually coming pretty close to universalism though. There are plenty of verses in the Bible that describe universalism as a viable thing (and yes I know there are also verses that contradict it). What are your thoughts on this subject? Because it’s definitly interesting to me! Thanks again! ??

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, Tyler S. said:

I agree with you both and, as I’ve read, that’s the same conclusion that I myself have come to. I feel as though this is actually coming pretty close to universalism though. There are plenty of verses in the Bible that describe universalism as a viable thing (and yes I know there are also verses that contradict it). What are your thoughts on this subject? Because it’s definitly interesting to me! Thanks again! ??

I believe universalism is possibly true. But for me it rests on two things:

1. how one defines the greek "aion, aionion and aionios" vs the English "forever/eternity".

2. Just as those in the previous age, though they had what we call the old testament, didn't have much (if any) of a clue regarding this age and the content of the New testament, we are in their position regarding the age(s) to come.

I'm an adherent to CI, but I would not be surprised if there is a form of Universalism at play. But, IMO, ECT is just a whacked method to keep pews filled and money bags full. And it seriously harms the Christian message.

Edited by Still Alive

3 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I believe universalism is possibly true. But for me it rests on two things:

1. how one defines the greek "aion, aionion and aionios" vs the English "forever/eternity".

2. Just as those in the previous age, though they had what we call the old testament, didn't have much (if any) of a clue regarding this age and the content of the New testament, we are in their position regarding the age(s) to come.

I'm an adherent to CI, but I would not be surprised if there is a form of Universalism at play. But, IMO, ECT is just a whacked method to keep pews filled and money bags full. And it seriously harms the Christian message.

You seem very well versed in various new age Christian philosophies and I’m afraid that I am not ?. If ECT is what I THINK it is then I’d totally agree. It kinda takes responsibility away from us and just plays on people’s desire to turn away from accountability. But I think that, as you said, a type of universalism may be at play if “every knee will bow” and “every mouth confess Christ as lord” then wouldn’t, technically, all people come to the truth eventually? I’ve often pondered the subject because there are people in the world who’ve never even been exposed to the good news or were exposed to it in a corrupted fashion...and if God is a God of justice then I feel as though he’d have a plan for those people as well. Thanks! 

• Thumbs Up 1