IGNORED

Holiness is God's Chief Attribute

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357
19 hours ago, enoob57 said:

You have made no friends with out Calvinist family :24:  

The idea of this is more or greater or chief in attributes of God I think error...  I believe, in God, all attributes is what makes Him Who He 'IS' and He proclaims First and Last and Greatest and Least for Himself as Persons.  Yet while we are next to the presence of sin we are indeed in this way
Jude 20-25
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.
KJV

but the perfection is not toward fear but love
1 John 4:17-18
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
KJV

so to arrive at holiness is not the love of God the entrance?

Before God is anything else, God is holy.  He holds all of his other attributes in holiness.  The Bible emphasizes the holiness of God over all of His other attributes, even more than love.   It is the one attribute he calls attention to more than any other attribute.

God's holiness is the standard by all moral conduct is measured.  

God is called holy in these passages: 

For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy. (Lev 11:44-45)

Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy. (Psa 99:9)

Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel. (Isa 41:14)

Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest. (Rev 15:4)

And in those passages, God is set apart from us and from all creation and from all of the false deities in the world.  Thus, every part of God's character/nature can be said to be holy because God is holy in everything. He expresses all of his communicable and non-communicable attributes are expressed in a state of holiness because He is first and foremost holy.    His expressions of love, mercy, grace etc. are holy in nature.   God's holiness is the core of His nature.   It is the basis for his purity and justice.  

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, enoob57 said:

Are you speaking of quantitative measure as this more of importance, more valued, holds greater in essence? The reason I ask is I have never regarded any aspect of God as greater or lessor but are in fact 'The Perfection' … without begin and end in any aspect of God, seems to my small mind, removes all scales of evaluation :noidea:  Even more can any portion of the infinite aspects of His Being be removed and He remain God (?) not so much a question as to where I am in my mind in this... For me the infinite aspect of God removes all evaluation possible for how can measure of any kind even in scrutiny of thought enter in... He alone 'IS' experienced in this infinite exist! It 'IS' why His Name shall not be blasphemed...

The problem with that is you are ignoring the simple fact that the Bible emphasizes God's holiness over his other attributes.  

Guest shiloh357

We have done a grave disservice to the world and the Church by de-emphasizing the holiness of God.  We have given the world a false view of who God is and as a result, it is more difficult for the unsaved of the world to understand the magnitude of their sinfulness and their need for salvation.   In addition, Christians have a more difficult time with living holy lives and they don't understand the need for holiness.  In some cases, there are Christians who have an inability to define holiness is, in the first place.   If we would return to having a fear of God and a serious understanding of His holiness, there would be, I believe, far less scandal in the body of Christ.   I should point out that simply be able to understand the holiness of God and recite a definition of holiness is insufficient.  I am talking about application, about it being a real thing in our lives.

I often read here on the boards as well as other places, people asking questions about how far they can go in a particular circumstance before a particular activity becomes sinful.   That is, I believe, the wrong question.    As Christians, our goal should be to pursue holiness.   That means that our perspective should not be about seeing how close we can get to the edge without being burned; rather, our perspective should be about how far from sin can get and how closer can we get to emulating the holiness of God (to the extent that it is possible for humans to emulated God).

When we de-emphasize the holiness of God, we de-emphasize the fear of God.   And when there is no fear of God, sin abounds.  How many of our problems (and I am talking about Christians) are the result of sinful living that could have been avoided had there been a fear of God in our lives?  If we had a true and deeper, more internal application of the fear of God, we would weigh our decisions out, we would be less impulsive.   I am not talking about being terrified of God, but of having a fear of God that makes displeasing the Lord something that is so repugnant to us, that makes the knowledge of His displeasure an impediment to sin.  

Love should be born out of that fear.  If we love God, we will fear Him enough to cause us to run from as far from sin as we can.   This is what we need to return to in our teaching and preaching.   

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

On July 13, 2018 at 3:18 AM, shiloh357 said:

Before God is anything else, God is holy.  He holds all of his other attributes in holiness.  The Bible emphasizes the holiness of God over all of His other attributes, even more than love.   It is the one attribute he calls attention to more than any other attribute.

God's holiness is the standard by all moral conduct is measured.  

God is called holy in these passages: 

For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy. (Lev 11:44-45)

Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy. (Psa 99:9)

Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel. (Isa 41:14)

Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest. (Rev 15:4)

And in those passages, God is set apart from us and from all creation and from all of the false deities in the world.  Thus, every part of God's character/nature can be said to be holy because God is holy in everything. He expresses all of his communicable and non-communicable attributes are expressed in a state of holiness because He is first and foremost holy.    His expressions of love, mercy, grace etc. are holy in nature.   God's holiness is the core of His nature.   It is the basis for his purity and justice.  

Hmm interesting God set apart from all of creation, you would have to explain that one.

was enoob57 post pulled from another thread that's odd indeed.

Edited by BeyondET

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, BeyondET said:

Hmm interesting God set apart from all of creation, you would have to explain that one.

God is separate from all of creation.  The creator is always separate from his creation.  

was enoob57 post pulled from another thread that's odd indeed.

yes, I started a thread about Hell and we got into holiness so I started a new thread on holiness.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

41 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

God is separate from all of creation.  The creator is always separate from his creation.  

yes, I started a thread about Hell and we got into holiness so I started a new thread on holiness.

I ask because scriptures says all things that have been created through Jesus, Emmanuel (God with us)  

Guest shiloh357
6 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

I ask because scriptures says all things that have been created through Jesus, Emmanuel (God with us)  

Yes, and Jesus is God. So...  God is the Creator and He is separate from His creation. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

51 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

This declarative of God in Rom 1 …. what is your take on that compared to what you have said above?

Romans 1:19 (KJV)

[19] Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

[20] For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

[21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, enoob57 said:

This declarative of God in Rom 1 …. what is your take on that compared to what you have said above?

What specific statement of mine did you have in mind?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

7 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

What specific statement of mine did you have in mind?

How that God is separate from His creation.

Edited by enoob57