Posted (edited)

someone recently was encouraging me to buy a copy of this and i think gee what is wrong with the bible that we have already. the wording was not the same ...

and then i thought i would have a look on the web and found this. yep just as i thought.

https://thinktheology.co.uk/blog/article/whats_wrong_with_the_passion_translation

The Passion “Translation” (which, for reasons that will hopefully become clear in a moment, I am deliberately putting in scare quotes). Is it faithful? Do you use it? Should I read it devotionally? Publicly? Would you preach from it? Is it even a translation? Stuff like that. I was actually asked for my thoughts on the project very early on, via a good friend who is involved, so I had a heads-up before most people in the UK. But since then, partly through the influence of Bill Johnson (who is a fan), it’s gained in popularity in the Pentecostal and charismatic world,

this to me is the beginning or should i say continuation of altering God's Word

Edited by existential mabel
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

Oh, have I got something to say about this travesty. :blow-up:

NO ONE should purchase this "Bible".  Unfortunately, I purchased in the last few weeks a Psalms/Proverbs book of the Passion Translation that also contained devotions.  My father having died in the past four weeks has made my mind feeling a little concussed and not thinking like I normally would.  

When I buy Bibles or books with biblical content, I always look at the translation.  Always.  One has to.

Well, this time I did not.

I got home and flipped to the 23rd Psalm and was angered immensely.  I then looked at other familiar passages from Psalms and Proverbs and discovered this.

The Passion Translation is NOT a translation!  It's not even a paraphrase, for crying out loud!!!!

It's someone's idea of adding to scripture what he thinks should go in there and rewriting parts how he thinks God should have said it.

There are some very wise and good translations out there.  The Passion Translation is not.  Flee from it!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

In another thread, I posted the kjv version of one chapter in the song of songs, and that same chapter in the passion bible version. You could not tell it was the same chapter. He completely rewrote it. After dinner, I will post it here again. That it is so different is a huge warning NOT TO BUY this so called translation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1

Bible gateway has a copy of his translation of the bible. 

Chapter 4 of song of solomon doesnt resemble his version of the song of songs. 

KJV

4 Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes within thy locks: thy hair is as a flock of goats, that appear from mount Gilead.

2 Thy teeth are like a flock of sheep that are even shorn, which came up from the washing; whereof every one bear twins, and none is barren among them.

3 Thy lips are like a thread of scarlet, and thy speech is comely: thy temples are like a piece of a pomegranate within thy locks.

4 Thy neck is like the tower of David builded for an armoury, whereon there hang a thousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men.

5 Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies.

6 Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, I will get me to the mountain of myrrh, and to the hill of frankincense.

7 Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee.

8 Come with me from Lebanon, my spouse, with me from Lebanon: look from the top of Amana, from the top of Shenir and Hermon, from the lions' dens, from the mountains of the leopards.

9 Thou hast ravished my heart, my sister, my spouse; thou hast ravished my heart with one of thine eyes, with one chain of thy neck.

10 How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse! how much better is thy love than wine! and the smell of thine ointments than all spices!

11 Thy lips, O my spouse, drop as the honeycomb: honey and milk are under thy tongue; and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon.

12 A garden inclosed is my sister, my spouse; a spring shut up, a fountain sealed.

13 Thy plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard,

14 Spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices:

15 A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.

16 Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; blow upon my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out. Let my beloved come into his garden, and eat his pleasant fruits.

The passion translation (differences bolded and red)

Song of Songs 4 The Passion Translation (TPT)

The Bridegroom-King
4 Listen, my dearest darling,
    you are so beautiful—you are beauty itself to me!
    Your eyes glisten with love,
    like gentle doves behind your veil.
    What devotion I see each time I gaze upon you.
    You are like a sacrifice ready to be offered.[a]
2 When I look at you,
    I see how you have taken my fruit and tasted my word.
    Your life has become clean and pure,
    like a lamb washed and newly shorn.
    You now show grace and balance with truth on display.
3 Your lips are as lovely as Rahab’s scarlet ribbon,
    speaking mercy, speaking grace.
    The words of your mouth are as refreshing as an oasis.
    What pleasure you bring to me!
    I see your blushing cheeks
    opened like the halves of a pomegranate,[c]
    showing through your veil of tender meekness.
4 When I look at you,
    I see your inner strength, so stately and strong.
    You are as secure as David’s fortress.
    Your virtues and grace cause a thousand famous soldiers
    to surrender to your beauty.
5 Your pure faith and love rest over your heart
    as you nurture those who are yet infants.

The Shulamite
6 I’ve made up my mind.
    Until the darkness disappears and the dawn has fully come,
    in spite of shadows and fears,
    I will go to the mountaintop with you—
    the mountain of suffering love[d]
    and the hill of burning incense.
    Yes, I will be your bride.[e]

The Bridegroom-King
7 Every part of you is so beautiful, my darling.
    Perfect is your beauty, without flaw within.
8 Now you are ready, my bride,
    to come with me as we climb the highest peaks together.
    Come with me through the archway of trust.[f]
    We will look down[g]
    from the crest of the glistening mounts
    and from the summit of our sublime sanctuary.
    Together we will wage war
    in the lion’s den and the leopard’s lair
    as they watch nightly for their prey.
9 For you reach into my heart.
    With one flash of your eyes I am undone by your love,
    my beloved, my equal, my bride.
    You leave me breathless—
    I am overcome
    by merely a glance from your worshiping eyes,
    for you have stolen my heart.[h]
    I am held hostage by your love
    and by the graces of righteousness shining upon you.
10 How satisfying to me, my equal, my bride.
    Your love is my finest wine—intoxicating and thrilling.
    And your sweet, perfumed praises—so exotic, so pleasing.
11 Your loving words are like the honeycomb to me;
    your tongue releases milk and honey,
    for I find the Promised Land flowing within you.[j]
    The fragrance of your worshiping love
    surrounds you with scented robes of white.[k]
12 My darling bride, my private paradise,
    fastened to my heart.
    A secret spring are you that no one else can have—
    my bubbling fountain hidden from public view.
    What a perfect partner to me now that I have you.
13–14 Your inward life is now sprouting, bringing forth fruit.
    What a beautiful paradise unfolds within you.[l]
    When I’m near you, I smell aromas of the finest spice,
    for many clusters of my exquisite fruit
    now grow within your inner garden.
    Here are the nine:
    pomegranates of passion,[m]
    henna from heaven,[n]
    spikenard so sweet,[o]
    saffron shining,[p]
    fragrant calamus from the cross,[q]
    sacred cinnamon,[r]
    branches of scented woods,
    myrrh, like tears from a tree,[t]
    and aloe as eagles ascending.
15 Your life flows into mine, pure as a garden spring.
    A well of living water springs up from within you,
    like a mountain brook flowing into my heart![v]

The Shulamite Bride
4:16–5:1  Then may your awakening breath
    blow upon my life until I am fully yours.
    Breathe upon me with your Spirit wind.
    Stir up the sweet spice of your life within me.
    Spare nothing as you make me your fruitful garden.
    Hold nothing back until I release your fragrance.
    Come walk with me as you walked
    with Adam in your paradise garden.[w]
    Come taste the fruits of your life in me.

The Bridegroom-King
I have come to you, my darling bride,
    for you are my paradise garden!

The Shulamite Bride
Come walk with me until I am fully yours.
    Come taste the fruits of your life in me.

8 hours ago, ayin jade said:

In another thread, I posted the kjv version of one chapter in the song of songs, and that same chapter in the passion bible version. You could not tell it was the same chapter. He completely rewrote it. After dinner, I will post it here again. That it is so different is a huge warning NOT TO BUY this so called translation.

Ayin.    The one thing I am noticing world wide and in secular as well as even so called christiantiy and other religions

IS a focus on humanity above God .    The emphasis of  a false love that would just have us gather for the sake of unity .

TO you,  does this book contain those kinds of emphasis .   What they have been doing, if you take notice , IS to make GOD seem to be of a sensual love

and nothing to really do with Judgment , or warning , instead the focus is on what is more pleasing for humanity itself TO HEAR .

I am going to go research the writer of this passion and see What he teaches , what he puts the emphasis on ,  and WHO he has aligned himself with .

IMPORTANT to note also the last ,   WHO the author or teacher of leader of any church , ALIGNS themselves with .   FOR any true seasoned man of GOD

would never keep company with known false ones or their agendas .   That last part , MOST OVER LOOK and it has cuased  a tidal wave of delusion .

• Thumbs Up 3

ANOTHER major major RED FLAG ,  and I seen you UNDERLINED his name .    IS THIS ,   IF MEGA FALSE ONES ENDORSE or love something .

YOU CAN REST ASSURED its OFF .  cause mega false ones WOULD NEVER LIKE the WHOLE RIGHTLY DIVIDED TRUTH .  THEY ONLY LOVE what is sensual .

AND I SEEN BILL JOHNSON LOVES IT .    THAT should cause major concern.   I mean major concern .

When known false men endorse other reads ,  SOMETHING IS ALWAYS OFF IN THEM .    NO well known false person , would endorse and embrace THE WHOLE TRUTH .

They desire the ITCHY VERSIONS not the TRUE .

• Thumbs Up 2

This might be off the topic.  But I just wanted to say SISTER ACADIA you loved , you let that white dove fly sister .    And let us REJOICE in the LORD .    OH put those hands up one and all,

and sound out praises to the HOLY GOD , the SAVOIR and REDEEMER of our soul .     

• Loved it! 1

On 7/14/2018 at 3:24 PM, existential mabel said:

someone recently was encouraging me to buy a copy of this and i think gee what is wrong with the bible that we have already. the wording was not the same ...

and then i thought i would have a look on the web and found this. yep just as i thought.

this to me is the beginning or should i say continuation of altering God's Word

Christians need to be aware the “The Passion Translation” is not a Bible. It is a deceptive, New Apostolic twisting of Scripture.

It is the work of one man, Brian Simmons, who while a missionary, claims he gave God an ultimatum (though he calls it merely a “desperate prayer”) threatening God to either move among those he and his wife were missionaries to, or he was going to go back to the U.S. and tell everyone God was not big enough to do what was necessary.

After this ultimatum, people just started falling over and shaking, like so many do when they are “slain in the spirit.”

And Brian Simmons also claims he went to heaven’s library and met Jesus. (After seeing a book of the Bible that has yet to be revealed).

Simmons’ testimony, in his own words, can be found by going to YouTube and searching for Sid Roth’s “It’s Supernatural” - Brian Simmons.

• This is Worthy 1

1 minute ago, Acadia said:

Christians need to be aware the “The Passion Translation” is not a Bible. It is a deceptive, New Apostolic twisting of Scripture.

It is the work of one man, Brian Simmons, who while a missionary, claims he gave God an ultimatum (though he calls it merely a “desperate prayer”) threatening God to either move among those he and his wife were missionaries to, or he was going to go back to the U.S. and tell everyone God was not big enough to do what was necessary.

After this ultimatum, people just started falling over and shaking, like so many do when they are “slain in the spirit.”

And Brian Simmons also claims he went to heaven’s library and met Jesus. (After seeing a book of the Bible that has yet to be revealed).

Simmons’ testimony, in his own words, can be found by going to YouTube and searching for Sid Roth’s “It’s Supernatural” - Brian Simmons.

DEAR sister , their are others who have made similar claims, THEY CALL GOD OUT , MAKE THREATS and then all of a sudden they get some kind of BIG ENLIGHTENMENT.

WRONG ,     woe TO THE ONE WHO STRIVES WITH HIS MAKER .  THEY GOT DELUSOIN when they did that .    Look at the audacity of those folks , THEY THREATEN GOD .

WHAT blasphemy and quite a few others have said the same things .    THAT IS WHY THEY ARE SO DELUSOINAL NOW .  HE GAVETHEM OVER TO REPROBATION MINDS and they THINK ITS ENLIGHTENMENT .    PLUS not only that ,     IT encourages folks to get ANGRY and make threats with GOD to get what they want .  THE DEVIL IS BEHIND THIS .  HE IS .

GOD don't reign in the heavens ON A LEASH who we can bark orders too.  WHEN I SEEN that it highly and rightly agigitated my spirit .  SISTER you LOVED .  THANK YOU FOR EXPOSING

the evil .   WE NEED to take heed and have no part in their delusion .

• This is Worthy 1

On 7/14/2018 at 9:30 PM, Jayne said:

Oh, have I got something to say about this travesty. :blow-up:

NO ONE should purchase this "Bible".  Unfortunately, I purchased in the last few weeks a Psalms/Proverbs book of the Passion Translation that also contained devotions.  My father having died in the past four weeks has made my mind feeling a little concussed and not thinking like I normally would.  

When I buy Bibles or books with biblical content, I always look at the translation.  Always.  One has to.

Well, this time I did not.

I got home and flipped to the 23rd Psalm and was angered immensely.  I then looked at other familiar passages from Psalms and Proverbs and discovered this.

The Passion Translation is NOT a translation!  It's not even a paraphrase, for crying out loud!!!!

It's someone's idea of adding to scripture what he thinks should go in there and rewriting parts how he thinks God should have said it.

There are some very wise and good translations out there.  The Passion Translation is not.  Flee from it!

And what a coincidence it was psalm 23 that this person was using to show me how marvellous the language was and all I could think of was how cheesy and fluffy it was lol!

• Thumbs Up 1