• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Are some of us easy to deceive? The idea here is that because of their naivety children can be tricked, and that there are tricksters on the look out for easy pickings.

Also warned against here is the potential of being carried in various different directions by the persuasiveness of doctrines coming and going like the wind. 

Calvinists think Arminians are deceived and vice versa, and in some quarters fierce debates rage between the two camps, but therein lies a deception, that somehow the body of Christ is edifying itself in love when the persons and beliefs of dead theologians are glorified to the extent that the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God is departed from, and the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ is no longer that which is desired.

Eph 4:13-20
(13)  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
(14)  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
(15)  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

My point is that if arguing various theological beliefs brings bitter divisions instead of unifying the faith and the knowledge desired by God for the body of Christ, as made known in His Word, then those who fall prey to it are taking the bait of those who are waiting to deceive.

Now reasoned discussions that enable the body of Christ to edify itself in love, these I am all for. ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,153
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

16 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Are some of us easy to deceive? The idea here is that because of their naivety children can be tricked, and that there are tricksters on the look out for easy pickings.

Also warned against here is the potential of being carried in various different directions by the persuasiveness of doctrines coming and going like the wind. 

Calvinists think Arminians are deceived and vice versa, and in some quarters fierce debates rage between the two camps, but therein lies a deception, that somehow the body of Christ is edifying itself in love when the persons and beliefs of dead theologians are glorified to the extent that the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God is departed from, and the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ is no longer that which is desired.

Eph 4:13-20
(13)  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
(14)  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
(15)  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

My point is that if arguing various theological beliefs brings bitter divisions instead of unifying the faith and the knowledge desired by God for the body of Christ, as made known in His Word, then those who fall prey to it are taking the bait of those who are waiting to deceive.

Now reasoned discussions that enable the body of Christ to edify itself in love, these I am all for. ?

people are passionate about God's Word … maybe you should lovingly understand this in these folks.... teach them to use their passion positively in debate and love all that name the name of Christ as Lord!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

12 hours ago, enoob57 said:

people are passionate about God's Word … maybe you should lovingly understand this in these folks.... teach them to use their passion positively in debate and love all that name the name of Christ as Lord!

Thanks for your reply, enoob57. Good thoughts. Have you ever observed passions become works of the flesh due to lack of self-control?

The whole area of debate is fraught with issues, as Paul was wont to point out:

2Co 12:19-20
(19)  Again, think you that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying.
(20)  For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as you would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:

Gal 5:14-16
(14)  For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(15)  But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you be not consumed one of another.
(16)  This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

In this thread I'm hoping to emphasise discussion in preference to debate, and this for the sake of building up the body of Christ. Sometimes I agree with a person's comment but not the way in which they make it, and so I have to avoid being unnecessarily antagonistic or adversarial in my own comments. 

Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Edited by Michael37
spelling

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,153
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

39 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Thanks for your reply, enoob57. Good thoughts. Have you ever observed passions become works of the flesh due to lack of self-control?

yes