Retrobyter

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I think this might be applicable to this thread.

What is the only attribute of God that is repeated three times for emphasis, twice in the Bible?

Isa 6:3 and Rev 4:8

It must be of very great importance.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 7/23/2018 at 6:28 AM, Marilyn C said:

Hi Retro,

Yes it was a reference from the OT however the Holy Spirit brought a different emphasis in relationship to the Body of Christ.

God said the Israel would be to Him a kingdom of Priests, which He will bring about. One king and priests separate.

However God will make the Body of Christ, of the same order as Himself (Melchizedek) which is a king and a priest. Two offices in one person. (Heb. 6: 20  &  7: 1 & 2)

Marilyn.  

Shalom, Marilyn.

Sorry, but there are a few errors here. 

First, you are making a serious error in making the assumption that "God will make the Body of Christ, of the same order as Himself (Melchizedek)." Where do you get that assumption? It cannot come from Hebrews 6:20-7:3, because that's NOT what it says there!

Hebrews 6:13-7:3 (KJV)

13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, 14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee. 15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise. 16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife. 17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: 18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: 19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; 20 Whither (Where) the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; 2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; 3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

There's NO MENTION of "the Body of Christ" AT ALL!

It is the Messiah ALONE who is after "the order of Malkhiy-Tsedeq," translated as "My-King of-Righteousness," the King of Shalem (Shalom)," or "the King of Peace!" Where do you get the notion that WE must follow in that order, too? It is Yeshua` ALONE who is "Sar Shalom," the "Prince of Peace!"

Now, let's think this through:

You say, it is "the Body of Christ." However, "Christ" is the common, shortened English transliteration of the Greek word "Χριστὸς." often fully transliterated as "Christos." 

John 4:25 (KJV)

25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

As per John 4:25, we know that this term is the translation of the Greek transliteration, "Μεσσίας," transliterated into English as "Messias," and "Μεσσίας" is a Helenized transliteration of the Hebrew word, "מָשִׁ֫יחַ," transliterated into English as both "Mashiyach" and "Messiah." (Get all that?)

Therefore, "the Body of Christ" IS "the Body of the Messiah."

Now, WHICH "Messiah" or "Mashiyach" are we talking about? It may seem obvious to you, but we should make it obvious to all; so, humor me on this:

The word "Mashiyach" is defined in Strong's Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary as...

4899 mashiyach (maw-shee'-akh). From mashach; anointed; usually a consecrated person (as a king, priest, or saint); specifically, the Messiah -- anointed, Messiah.

4866 mashach (maw-shakh'). A primitive root; to rub with oil, i.e. To anoint; by implication, to consecrate; also to paint -- anoint, paint.

Thus, there were MANY people so "anointed" in the Scriptures! David said that SAUL was one such person:

1 Samuel 24:5-6 (KJV)

5 And it came to pass afterward, that David's heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt. 6 And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD'S anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD.

So, Saul, David, Solomon, and all the rest of the kings were so anointed. Furthermore, Aaron and his sons were so anointed, as well as the rest of the priesthood:

Exodus 40:12-16 (KJV)

12 And thou shalt bring Aaron and his sons unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and wash them with water. 13 And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him; that he may minister unto me in the priest's office. 14 And thou shalt bring his sons, and clothe them with coats: 15 And thou shalt anoint them, as thou didst anoint their father, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office: for their anointing shall surely be an everlasting priesthood throughout their generations. 16 Thus did Moses: according to all that the LORD commanded him, so did he.

So, there were MANY "messiahs," and so, there were MANY "christs," the Greek translation of "messiahs," and we know many of their names!

However, Paul said in Romans,

Romans 1:1-7 (KJV)

1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: 5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name: 6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:

7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thus, he acknowledged that Yeshua` (Jesus) was the One Figure in prophecy who fulfilled Scripture, in that He...
(a) was (and still is) the ULTIMATE Christ or the ULTIMATE Messiah,
(b) made of the seed of David,
(c) declared to be the Son of God with power from the Spirit of Holiness, and
(d) was raised from the dead.

He also admitted, that he himself...
(e) was Yeshua`s "servant" (Greek: doulos = "slave") and
(f) called Yeshua` "Lord" (Greek: kurios = "master; mister; ruler").

Lukas (Luke) quotes Gavriel (Gabriel) saying,

Luke 1:30-33 (KJV)

30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS (Greek: IEESOUS = Hebrew: YEESHUWA` = "He shall save; rescue; deliver"). 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest (part c): and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David (part b): 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end (part a).

THEREFORE, calling Him "the Christ" is calling Him "the JEWISH Messiah" who shall "reign over the house of Ya`aqov FOREVER!" And, there shall be "NO END OF HIS KINGDOM!"

---

Now, back to this "body of the Messiah":

But, you know as do I, that this "body" is a reference to 1 Corinthians 12, particularly...

1 Corinthians 12:12-27 (KJV)

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we bebond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? 18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. 19 And if they were all one member, where were the body? 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. 22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: 23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. 24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: 25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. 26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

And, whereas this analogy could be extended to other communities, Paul was specifically using this analogy for the community there in Korinth in southern Greece. Paul talks about "churches," not the "Church," as though it was a "universal Body." "It's hard for a finger in Albuquerque to scratch its nose in Timbuktu!" This analogy, "the body of Christ" or "the body of the Messiah,"  is referring to a LOCAL church - a LOCAL assembly - a LOCAL assemblage of like-minded people!

1577 ekkleesia (ek-klay-see'-ah). From a compound of ek and a derivative of kaleoo; a calling out, i.e. (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both) -- assembly, church.

1537 ek or ex (ek). A primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause; literal or figurative; direct or remote) -- after, among, X are, at, betwixt(-yond), by (the means of), exceedingly, (+ abundantly above), for(- th), from (among, forth, up), + grudgingly, + heartily, X heavenly, X hereby, + very highly, in,...ly, (because, by reason) of, off (from), on, out among (from, of), over, since, X thenceforth, through, X unto, X vehemently, with(-out). Often used in composition, with the same general import; often of completion.

2564 kaleoo (kal-eh'-o). Akin to the base of keleuoo; to "call" (properly, aloud, but used in a variety of applications, directly or otherwise) -- bid, call (forth), (whose, whose sur-)name (was (called)).

2753 keleuoo (kel-yoo'-o). From a primary kelloo (to urge on); "hail"; to incite by word, i.e. Order -- bid, (at, give) command(-ment).

Churches (ekkleesiai) were established in Jerusalem, throughout the land of Y'hudah (Judah), commonly called "Judaea," and in other locations where pockets of the children of Israel were to be found, such as here in Korinth. They initially met in houses within Jerusalem, but were started in the Jewish synagogues of these foreign communities. Paul had a need to start within the Jewish populations before extending the invitation to the non-Jewish populations: "to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." Why? Because Yeshua` is a JEWISH Messiah, a JEWISH "Christ!"

Even though most of the populations of the various churches throughout the world are now non-Jewish or Gentiles, that fact doesn't negate that the churches were ORIGINALLY formed from the Jewish communities with Jewish populations (if possible)! Indeed, the ORIGINAL "church" was NOT formed in Acts 2 but was that formed by God in MOSES' day!

Acts 7:35-38 (KJV)

35 This Moses whom they refused, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge? the same did God send to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the angel which appeared to him in the bush. 36 He brought them out, after that he had shewed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years. 37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear. 38 This is he, that was in the church (Greek: ekkleesia = "a called-out [assembly]") in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles (the living words) to give unto us:

During the 1900's it was important to keep a separation between the "churches" and "Israel" because of Replacement Theology's attempt to make the prophecies about Israel have to do with the "Church." But, it's time to move on. We ARE a part of the congregation of Israel! We don't "replace" Israel; churches are SUBSETS of Israel!

Right now, many churches, especially those who believe in a pretribulational rapture, have divorced the "churches" from Israel, even to the point of having separate destinies!

Some say, "The church goes to Heaven" and "Israel stays on Earth." Well, they're right about Israel staying on earth, but why would the "churches" want to go to "Heaven" when the Messiah returns to reign in Israel?! I say to them, "Don't you WANT to be with the Lord? (Of course you do.)" Don't you remember the promise, "And so shall we EVER be with the Lord"?

But, He's coming HERE to reign for a thousand years in the Millennium, but NOT JUST a thousand years! He'll reign FOREVER from the throne of David over the house of Ya`aqov because "of His kingdom there shall be NO END!"

If He reigns forever such that His kingdom will have no end, He will reign the whole Millennium on this earth and then on into the Eternal State on the New Earth! Why would we be otherwise "engaged?" No, we'll be RIGHT HERE WITH HIM!

On 7/23/2018 at 8:12 PM, Dennis1209 said:

I think this might be applicable to this thread.

What is the only attribute of God that is repeated three times for emphasis, twice in the Bible?

Isa 6:3 and Rev 4:8

It must be of very great importance.

Shalom, Dennis1209.

OR, it could mean that we really don't understand what was behind repeating "three times for emphasis." The Jews understood it to mean, "the HOLY (1) Place, and the HOLY (2) of HOLIES (3)," referring both to the Tabernacle and the Temple, as both places had both rooms. Hebrew doesn't have a word for "of"; simple proximity of placing two nouns together means "(first noun) of (second noun)." And, they might show the plural by a reduplication of a noun.

Multiple nouns placed side by side can be a real challenge to English translators, especially when some words, with a simple change in pronunciation reflected only in the vowel pointing, can make those "nouns" into adjectives! Often, Hebrew is written WITHOUT vowel pointing! Vowel pointing was invented to help students and foreigners understand Hebrew better, but they were NOT present in the original, biblical text!

Guest shiloh357
25 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, Dennis1209.

OR, it could mean that we really don't understand what was behind repeating "three times for emphasis." The Jews understood it to mean, "the HOLY (1) Place, and the HOLY (2) of HOLIES (3)," referring both to the Tabernacle and the Temple, as both places had both rooms. 

But that was not the focus.  The focus was emphasizing the holiness of God, and not anything else.  He is holy, holy, holy.   That is given for emphasis to demonstrate His holiness which is greater than anything else in the universe we call, "holy."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

I very strongly think the "The Matrix"analogy applies. I see holy as, at it's most basic level, "separate". But there is as much meaning behind that as "the look" a wife gives her husband. ;)

I see Christians as "holy". We've taken the red pill. We understand that this is not really our home, but we are just visiting. Our future does not lie with the fate of this earthly tent (body), as peter called it. My joy doesn't come from restoring a classic car, building a fine home. Skydiving or any other human pursuit. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy those things, but I see them for what they are.

My true joy comes in my relationship with my creator and, a subset of that, my relationship with my fellow man. Everything else I do is something that either enhances or detracts from those two things.

10 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

But that was not the focus.  The focus was emphasizing the holiness of God, and not anything else.  He is holy, holy, holy.   That is given for emphasis to demonstrate His holiness which is greater than anything else in the universe we call, "holy."

Shalom, shiloh357.

Just saying what I've read:

Yesha`yahuw 6:3 (BibleHub Interlinear)

3 Vqaaraa’  zeh el-zeh v’aamar, Qaadowsh | qaadowsh qaadowsh YHWH tsVaa’owt mlo’ kaal-haa’aarets kVowdow:

3 And-one-cried another unto-another and-said, “Holy of-Holies holy [is] the-LORD of-hosts [is]-full all-the-earth of-His-glory:

Looking at it again, it could be referring to HIS "Holy of Holies" where Yeshua` is, the New Jerusalem itself where YHWH'S throne exists (Rev. 22:1-3), after which the Tabernacle and the Temple were patterned, but you're right, the focus is still on YHWH tsVaa'owt, YHWH of armies.

However, "His holiness" is "His cleanness." So, He is "cleaner" than anything else in the universe we call "clean?" I don't disagree, but is that what you meant?

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, shiloh357.

Just saying what I've read:

Yesha`yahuw 6:3 (BibleHub Interlinear)

3 Vqaaraa’  zeh el-zeh v’aamar, Qaadowsh | qaadowsh qaadowsh YHWH tsVaa’owt mlo’ kaal-haa’aarets kVowdow:

3 And-one-cried another unto-another and-said, “Holy of-Holies holy [is] the-LORD of-hosts [is]-full all-the-earth of-His-glory:

Looking at it again, it could be referring to HIS "Holy of Holies" where Yeshua` is, the New Jerusalem itself where YHWH'S throne exists (Rev. 22:1-3), after which the Tabernacle and the Temple were patterned, but you're right, the focus is still on YHWH tsVaa'owt, YHWH of armies.

However, "His holiness" is "His cleanness." So, He is "cleaner" than anything else in the universe we call "clean?" I don't disagree, but is that what you meant?

In ancient Hebrew in order to emphasize something you repeated it.   When Jesus said, "verily verily..."  (amen, amen) it was meant for the hearer or reader to note that what He was about to say was of extreme importance.  

They didn't have "bold text" or italics or all caps, or highlighting to emphasize something as important.  So the way they did it was through repetition. 

The ONLY characteristic of God that rises to triple repetition in His holiness.  That's how the Bible emphasizes it agove all of his other attributes.   He is never "love, love, love" or "righteousness, righteousness, righteousness" or whatever.  Its only his holiness that is given that level of emphasis. 

There is NO is referring to anything or anyone but Him.  Whatever His holiness is, that is what He is. 

10 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I very strongly think the "The Matrix"analogy applies. I see holy as, at it's most basic level, "separate". But there is as much meaning behind that as "the look" a wife gives her husband. ;)

I see Christians as "holy". We've taken the red pill. We understand that this is not really our home, but we are just visiting. Our future does not lie with the fate of this earthly tent (body), as peter called it. My joy doesn't come from restoring a classic car, building a fine home. Skydiving or any other human pursuit. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy those things, but I see them for what they are.

My true joy comes in my relationship with my creator and, a subset of that, my relationship with my fellow man. Everything else I do is something that either enhances or detracts from those two things.

Shalom, Still Alive.

OH! But it IS really our home! We're not just "visiting." People get that view mainly from the song "This World Is Not My Home," but that song comes from a bad read of 1 Peter 2:11:

1 Peter 2:11

11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

READ ON!

12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; 14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. 15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: 16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. 
17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

These people whom Peter was addressing were LITERALLY strangers and pilgrims in OTHER GENTILE COUNTRIES! They were the Jews of the Diaspora, scattered throughout the known world at the time!

Peter wasn't talking about them being strangers and pilgrims "on the earth"; he was talking about them being strangers and pilgrims in foreign lands!

As I've said before, EVERYONE WHO CALLS HIMSELF OR HERSELF A "CHRISTIAN" should read Appendix A in Randy Alcorn's book Heaven. It's entitled "Appendix A: Christoplatonism’s False Assumptions." You OWE it to yourself to read it with an open mind! The New Earth (with its New Atmosphere ignorantly called "the New Heaven") and the New Jerusalem ARE your eternal destiny!

4 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

In ancient Hebrew in order to emphasize something you repeated it.   When Jesus said, "verily verily..."  (amen, amen) it was meant for the hearer or reader to note that what He was about to say was of extreme importance.  

They didn't have "bold text" or italics or all caps, or highlighting to emphasize something as important.  So the way they did it was through repetition. 

The ONLY characteristic of God that rises to triple repetition in His holiness.  That's how the Bible emphasizes it agove all of his other attributes.   He is never "love, love, love" or "righteousness, righteousness, righteousness" or whatever.  Its only his holiness that is given that level of emphasis. 

There is NO is referring to anything or anyone but Him.  Whatever His holiness is, that is what He is. 

Shabbat shalom, shiloh357.

"Whatever His holiness is?" His "holiness" is NOT "separateness," and it's CERTAINLY NOT "righteousness!" It is "CLEANNESS!" Being singled out as a chosen seed, as a nation among the nations, was a SIDE-EFFECT of that cleanness! It is NOT the meaning of the Hebrew word, Qadowsh!

Please, don't drag that nonsense into this thread! This thread was started - at YOUR suggestion - to get AWAY from that vague ambiguity!

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, Marilyn.

Sorry, but there are a few errors here. 

First, you are making a serious error in making the assumption that "God will make the Body of Christ, of the same order as Himself (Melchizedek)." Where do you get that assumption? It cannot come from Hebrews 6:20-7:3, because that's NOT what it says there!

Hebrews 6:13-7:3 (KJV)

13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, 14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee. 15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise. 16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife. 17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: 18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: 19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; 20 Whither (Where) the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; 2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; 3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

There's NO MENTION of "the Body of Christ" AT ALL!

It is the Messiah ALONE who is after "the order of Malkhiy-Tsedeq," translated as "My-King of-Righteousness," the King of Shalem (Shalom)," or "the King of Peace!" Where do you get the notion that WE must follow in that order, too? It is Yeshua` ALONE who is "Sar Shalom," the "Prince of Peace!"

If He reigns forever such that His kingdom will have no end, He will reign the whole Millennium on this earth and then on into the Eternal State on the New Earth! Why would we be otherwise "engaged?" No, we'll be RIGHT HERE WITH HIM!

Hi Retro,

I think dear bro, that you get lost in too many scriptures. Let`s just keep it straight forward.

Jesus is a High Priest, therefore there are other priests. He is head of the Body and thus His body shares His `order,` kingpriests. The Lord could hold a position as priest in Israel, as that is the Aaronic priesthood, (Levites) and the Lord is from another tribe - Judah which is the ruling tribe. The Lord rulership is in the highest created realm and He rules as a priest, (high) upon His throne over all realms.

regards, Marilyn.