IGNORED

What is "Holiness?" What does it mean to be "holy?"

Retrobyter

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shabbat shalom, shiloh357.

"Whatever His holiness is?

Yes.  However the Bible portrays the holiness of God, that is what God is.

" His "holiness" is NOT "separateness,"

Yes, it is. It is very much linked to separateness.

“Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the
LORD your God. And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them:
I am the LORD which sanctify you” (Leviticus 20:7-8).
“And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and
have severed you from other people, that ye should be
mine” (Leviticus 20:26).

“As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to
the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called
you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy” (1 Peter
1:14-16).

“Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of
these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of
disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them. For ye
were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord:
walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all
goodness and righteousness and truth)” (Ephesians 5:6-9).

and it's CERTAINLY NOT "righteousness!"

I didn't say it was. 

It is "CLEANNESS!"

That is part of it.  Clearly you don't really possess the skill in Hebrew that you pretend to have.

Being singled out as a chosen seed, as a nation among the nations, was a SIDE-EFFECT of that cleanness! It is NOT the meaning of the Hebrew word, Qadowsh!

To be set apart, to be made separate is part and parcel of what it means to be holy. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

10 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, Still Alive.

OH! But it IS really our home! We're not just "visiting." People get that view mainly from the song "This World Is Not My Home," but that song comes from a bad read of 1 Peter 2:11:

1 Peter 2:11

11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

READ ON!

12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; 14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. 15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: 16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. 
17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

These people whom Peter was addressing were LITERALLY strangers and pilgrims in OTHER GENTILE COUNTRIES! They were the Jews of the Diaspora, scattered throughout the known world at the time!

Peter wasn't talking about them being strangers and pilgrims "on the earth"; he was talking about them being strangers and pilgrims in foreign lands!

As I've said before, EVERYONE WHO CALLS HIMSELF OR HERSELF A "CHRISTIAN" should read Appendix A in Randy Alcorn's book Heaven. It's entitled "Appendix A: Christoplatonism’s False Assumptions." You OWE it to yourself to read it with an open mind! The New Earth (with its New Atmosphere ignorantly called "the New Heaven") and the New Jerusalem ARE your eternal destiny!

I have a three hour round trip commute. I've been in "Peter immersion" mode for the last ten days. I listened to 1 and 2 peter over and over and over again during those days. There is nothing in your post I disagree with except you and I are dealing with nuances regarding the word "home". 

I'll use an analogy to clarify mine: In the 1960's, we lived in a home on Mercer island. It was most definitely our home, but the rent was really, really low. It is because it was slated to be torn down to put in the new I-90 freeway and "lid". It was a home destined for destruction. We lived there while we built our permanent home in another town there, which is where I lived for the remainder of our childhood. 

This is how I see this age. It is a temporary home. And as a flood destroyed the surface of the earth, separating ages a while back. The surface will see destruction again, for a new age. But that one will be fire. Even the sea will be burned up. And then, as you mentioned, the rebuilding of the surface of the earth and atmosphere. The only way we differ is that I've become a stickler regarding the use of the words "eternal", "forever", etc. in english language bibles. I tend to replace them with "age" or "ages" whenever I see them, depending on what greek word is behind them. 

i.e. I think even that "heaven" will probably not be eternal. I believe it is possible that what we are really looking at is a constant string of differing ages, most of which are not discussed at all in the bible. But I don't know. None of us does. Nobody predicted the life and times and death and resurrection of Christ. In spite of all the prophesy they were completely blindsided. Are we any different regarding the future?

Now we see as through a glass darkly...

Edited by Still Alive

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

5 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Retro,

I think dear bro, that you get lost in too many scriptures. Let`s just keep it straight forward.

Jesus is a High Priest, therefore there are other priests. He is head of the Body and thus His body shares His `order,` kingpriests. The Lord could hold a position as priest in Israel, as that is the Aaronic priesthood, (Levites) and the Lord is from another tribe - Judah which is the ruling tribe. The Lord rulership is in the highest created realm and He rules as a priest, (high) upon His throne over all realms.

regards, Marilyn.

Shabbat shalom, Marilyn

Where does it say that Yeshua` is a "HIGH Priest?" (It doesn't.) He is a "Priest forever after the order of Malkhiy-Tsedeq," who was a SOLITARY priest! He is Priest ALONE between mankind and God! His blood ALONE could atone for our sins!

You need to get into the Scriptures MORE and quit adding your own words!

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Shabbat shalom, Marilyn

Where does it say that Yeshua` is a "HIGH Priest?" (It doesn't.) He is a "Priest forever after the order of Malkhiy-Tsedeq," who was a SOLITARY priest! He is Priest ALONE between mankind and God! His blood ALONE could atone for our sins!

You need to get into the Scriptures MORE and quit adding your own words!

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 
(Heb 4:14)

50 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 
(Heb 4:14)

Shabbat shalom, shiloh357.

Well said, bro! You're right; I was wrong. I did a little more digging and found it also in Hebrews 8:1. 

Hebrews 8:1-6 (KJV)

1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; 2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. 3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. 4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: 5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount. 6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

So, I stand corrected. Thank you for your persistence.

6 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Retro,

I think dear bro, that you get lost in too many scriptures. Let`s just keep it straight forward.

Jesus is a High Priest, therefore there are other priests. He is head of the Body and thus His body shares His `order,` kingpriests. The Lord could [not] hold a position as priest in Israel, as that is the Aaronic priesthood, (Levites) and the Lord is from another tribe - Judah which is the ruling tribe. The Lord rulership is in the highest created realm and He rules as a priest, (high) upon His throne over all realms.

regards, Marilyn.

Shabbat shalom, Marilyn.

Thank you for your persistence, as well. Shiloh answered it well with a single Scripture verse, but I owe you an apology: You were right all along, and I was wrong. In fact, I now see that Yeshua` COULDN'T be a priest on the earth because that "position is already filled" (or will be when the Aaronic priesthood is re-established).

Again, I'm sorry for being disagreeable while disagreeing with you; thank you, sis, for putting up with me.

Edited by Retrobyter

9 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I have a three hour round trip commute. I've been in "Peter immersion" mode for the last ten days. I listened to 1 and 2 peter over and over and over again during those days. There is nothing in your post I disagree with except you and I are dealing with nuances regarding the word "home". 

I'll use an analogy to clarify mine: In the 1960's, we lived in a home on Mercer island. It was most definitely our home, but the rent was really, really low. It is because it was slated to be torn down to put in the new I-90 freeway and "lid". It was a home destined for destruction. We lived there while we built our permanent home in another town there, which is where I lived for the remainder of our childhood. 

This is how I see this age. It is a temporary home. And as a flood destroyed the surface of the earth, separating ages a while back. The surface will see destruction again, for a new age. But that one will be fire. Even the sea will be burned up. And then, as you mentioned, the rebuilding of the surface of the earth and atmosphere. The only way we differ is that I've become a stickler regarding the use of the words "eternal", "forever", etc. in english language bibles. I tend to replace them with "age" or "ages" whenever I see them, depending on what greek word is behind them. 

i.e. I think even that "heaven" will probably not be eternal. I believe it is possible that what we are really looking at is a constant string of differing ages, most of which are not discussed at all in the bible. But I don't know. None of us does. Nobody predicted the life and times and death and resurrection of Christ. In spite of all the prophesy they were completely blindsided. Are we any different regarding the future?

Now we see as through a glass darkly...

Shabbat shalom, Still Alive.

I've seen that before with "age" and "ages." The longest period, I believe, that I have seen is "into the ages of the ages." That's certainly longer than "to the end of the age." Contextual clues may be added, however, to extend the time beyond what we normally think of as "ages." For instance, take Gavri'el's words to Miryam in Luke 1:30-33:

Luke 1:30-33 (KJV)

30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever (Greek: eis tous aioonas = "into the ages"); and of his kingdom there shall be no end (Greek: ouk estai telos = "not there-shall-be an-end").

While "into the ages" may be potentially limited in scope, the phrase "there shall be no end," takes precedence and we see that His Kingdom truly SHALL last forever.

Regardless what Yeshua` is doing in the New Jerusalem as we speak, we know that He shall come again and set up this ETERNAL Kingdom, here on this earth during the Millennium and then into this "forever" in the New Earth, after the old earth has been ... "renovated" through fire and re-forming of the substances.

You said, "Even the sea will be burned up." However, the Scriptures don't say that at all. John just mentions that there's no more sea. This could be for a variety of reasons, but it may also only be talking about ONE of the MANY seas, NOT all the water and all the oceans on the earth! I personally believe that John was talking about the ONE sea that separated him from his dear friends and family in the churches to whom he wrote.

Also, I believe that this sea will be gone because of DISPLACEMENT when the New Jerusalem is given room on which to land! By leveling the ground for the foundations of the city to be sunk, there will be no room for at least HALF of the Mediterranean Sea! (This is assuming that the huge city, the New Jerusalem, will be centered at the geographic coordinates of the current Jerusalem.)

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,181
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

16 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shabbat shalom, Marilyn.

Thank you for your persistence, as well. Shiloh answered it well with a single Scripture verse, but I owe you an apology: You were right all along, and I was wrong. In fact, I now see that Yeshua` COULDN'T be a priest on the earth because that "position is already filled" (or will be when the Aaronic priesthood is re-established).

Again, I'm sorry for being disagreeable while disagreeing with you; thank you, sis, for putting up with me.

Hi Retro,

No problems bro. We all make mistakes and you do have good thoughts and scriptures too. So all the best,

Marilyn.

• 2 years later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Quite simply, to be holy means to not sin. Granted, that may be an oversimplification but Holy means no sins.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

To be "holy" a true born again person needs to set apart from this world. Genuine believers need to live by God's standards, not the world's standards. Although God does not call us to be perfect. We will not get there until we arrive in heaven. Being holy requires a person to believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior. We need to be obedient to God and have a daily relationship with Him.