• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,536
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, everyone!

At shiloh357's suggestion, I'm starting this thread to give a BIBLICAL definition to "holy" and "holiness." 

See, I'm not a huge fan of the "science" of theology. Theology to me is like commentaries; just more human words to confuse the issues. As Paul said,

Romans 3:4

4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

So, let's get a running start:

First of all, the Hebrew word translated as "holy" is "qaadowsh":

6918 qaadowsh (kaw-doshe'). Or qaadosh {kaw-doshe'} (spelled without the vav); from qaadash; sacred (ceremonially or morally); (as noun) God (by eminence), an angel, a saint, a sanctuary -- holy (One), saint.

6942 qaadash (kaw-dash'). A primitive root; to be (causatively, make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally) -- appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy(-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify(-ied one, self), X wholly.

And, Yesha`yahuw (Isaiah) said,

Isaiah 6:1-5 (KJV)

1 In the year that king Uzziah (Hebrew: `Uzziyaahuw) died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 2 Above it stood the seraphims (Hebrew: sraafiym = "burning ones" or "poisonous [serpents]") each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy (Hebrew: Qaadowsh, qaadowsh, qaadowsh) is the LORD of hosts (YHWH ts'va'owt? the whole earth is full of his glory.

4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

And, just for confirmation, here's the Hebrew (transliterated):

Yeesha`yahuw 6:1-5 (JPS Hebrew-English TANAKH)

1 Bishnat-mowt hamelekh Uzziyaahuw, vaa'er'eh et-Adonaay yosheeV `al-kicee', raam v-nissaa'; v-shuwlaayow m-lee'iym et-haheekhaal:
2 Sraafiym -- `omdiym | mimma`al low sheesh knaafayim sheesh knaafayim l'echaad; bishtayim ykhacceh paanaayow, uwbishtayim ykhacceh raglaayow, uwbishtayim  y`owfeef:
3 Vqaaraa' zeh 'el zeh v'aamar qaadowsh | qaadowsh qaadowsh YHWH tsVaa'owt mlo' khaal haa'aarets kVowdow:
4 Vayaanu`uw ammowt haccipiym miqqowl haqqowree' vhabayit yimmaalee' aasaan:
5 Vaa'omar owy-liy khiy nidmeeytiy -- kiy iysh Tmee'-shfaatayim aanokiy uwVtowkh `am Tmee' shfaatayim -- aanowkhiy yowseeV kiy et hamelekh YHWH tsVaa'owt raa'uw `eeynaay:

Now, some say that "holy" means "set apart"; others say that "holy" means "righteous"; still others say that "holy" means "ceremoniously sacred," but the Scriptures tell me that this word means "clean" or "pure" (for that is how the word is used wherever it is found).

So, when we read something like...

Leviticus 19:1-4 (KJV)

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2 "Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy. 3 Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God. 4 Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God."

He is simply saying, "You shall be clean, for I YHWH Eloheinuw am clean!" And, then He proceeds to show them how they can be clean.

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,858
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

Man ~ Humble Obedient Loving Yoked

God ~ Honest Orderly Loving Yields

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

7 hours ago, BeyondET said:

Man ~ Humble Obedient Loving Yoked

God ~ Honest Orderly Loving Yields

Shalom, BeyondET.

Interesting acronyms; however, did you get these acronyms from another source or did you come up with these yourself?

Any word that starts with an H, any word that starts with an O, any word that starts with an L, and any word that starts with a Y would suffice to make an acronym for the word "HOLY." Some of those would be great, like you provided above, but SOME of those would be absolutely HORRENDOUS! I'm not even going to provide a simple example of a horrendous acronym, because to me it would be BLASPHEMOUS! However, I think you get the point.

Look, I love you, BeyondET, and all the rest who visit these forums, but we have GOT to do better when it comes to nailing down what it takes for us to be "sanctified," to be "holy." WHY were the children of Israel told to be "holy?" Was it just to be obedient to God? OR, did HE have a reason for why they should be "holy?"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,858
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

16 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, BeyondET.

Interesting acronyms; however, did you get these acronyms from another source or did you come up with these yourself?

Any word that starts with an H, any word that starts with an O, any word that starts with an L, and any word that starts with a Y would suffice to make an acronym for the word "HOLY." Some of those would be great, like you provided above, but SOME of those would be absolutely HORRENDOUS! I'm not even going to provide a simple example of a horrendous acronym, because to me it would be BLASPHEMOUS! However, I think you get the point.

Look, I love you, BeyondET, and all the rest who visit these forums, but we have GOT to do better when it comes to nailing down what it takes for us to be "sanctified," to be "holy." WHY were the children of Israel told to be "holy?" Was it just to be obedient to God? OR, did HE have a reason for why they should be "holy?"

Ok because you said so...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  10/23/1978

Be you holy for I am holy saith the Lord... 

I think being holy could be both separate and righteous or pure.  We are a peculiar people.  We should be holy and separate from the evil of the world.  But we also have to show our love and show ourselves a light to this world. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/18/2018 at 4:17 PM, BeyondET said:

Ok because you said so...

Shalom, BeyondET.

Childish, but, really, who CARES what I say?!

On 7/18/2018 at 5:03 PM, IvyRose said:

Be you holy for I am holy saith the Lord... 

I think being holy could be both separate and righteous or pure.  We are a peculiar people.  We should be holy and separate from the evil of the world.  But we also have to show our love and show ourselves a light to this world. 

Shalom, IvyRose.

Ah, yes! But "peculiar" is another word - a DIFFERENT word than "holy!"

5459 Cegullaah (seg-ool-law'). Feminine passive participle of an unused root meaning to shut up; wealth (as closely shut up) -- jewel, peculiar (treasure), proper good, special.

Places that use this word are...

Exodus 19:5; Deuteronomy 7:6; 14:2; 26:18; Psalm 135:4; and Malachi 3:17:

Exodus 19:3-6 (KJV)

3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel; 4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. 5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Deuteronomy 7:1-6 (KJV)

1 When the LORD thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and hath cast out many nations before thee, the Hittites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and mightier than thou; 2 And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them: 3 Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son. 4 For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly. 5 But thus shall ye deal with them; ye shall destroy their altars, and break down their images, and cut down their groves, and burn their graven images with fire. 
6 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

Deuteronomy 14:1-2 (KJV)

1 Ye are the children of the LORD your God: ye shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead. 2 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.

Deuteronomy 26:16-19 (KJV)

16 This day the LORD thy God hath commanded thee to do these statutes and judgments: thou shalt therefore keep and do them with all thine heart, and with all thy soul. 17 Thou hast avouched the LORD this day to be thy God, and to walk in his ways, and to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and to hearken unto his voice: 18 And the LORD hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that thou shouldest keep all his commandments; 19 And to make thee high above all nations which he hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honour; and that thou mayest be an holy people unto the LORD thy God, as he hath spoken.

Psalm 135:1-21 (KJV)

1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the name of the LORD; praise him, O ye servants of the LORD.
2 Ye that stand in the house of the LORD, in the courts of the house of our God,
3 Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant.
4 For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure.
5 For I know that the LORD is great, and that our Lord is above all gods.
6 Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places.
7 He causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings for the rain; he bringeth the wind out of his treasuries.
8 Who smote the firstborn of Egypt, both of man and beast.
9 Who sent tokens and wonders into the midst of thee, O Egypt, upon Pharaoh, and upon all his servants.
10 Who smote great nations, and slew mighty kings;
11 Sihon king of the Amorites, and Og king of Bashan, and all the kingdoms of Canaan:
12 And gave their land for an heritage, an heritage unto Israel his people.
13 Thy name, O LORD, endureth for ever; and thy memorial, O LORD, throughout all generations.
14 For the LORD will judge his people, and he will repent himself concerning his servants.
15 The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.
16 They have mouths, but they speak not; eyes have they, but they see not;
17 They have ears, but they hear not; neither is there any breath in their mouths.
18 They that make them are like unto them: so is every one that trusteth in them.
19 Bless the LORD, O house of Israel: bless the LORD, O house of Aaron:
20 Bless the LORD, O house of Levi: ye that fear the LORD, bless the LORD.
21 Blessed be the LORD out of Zion, which dwelleth at Jerusalem. Praise ye the LORD.

Malachi 3:16-18 (KJV)

16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name. 17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. 18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

ALL of these passages use that same word above!

Shabbat shalom, everyone (anyone?)

If you're following along in this thread, simply know this: We are FINALLY making some headway. First of all, all "holy" means is to be "clean."

HOWEVER, God told the children of Israel to be "clean" because HE is "clean!" Then, if you look at the passages above, God VALUES that cleanliness! And, that cleanliness made the children of Israel UNIQUE among the nations! But, these are SIDE-EFFECTS of being "holy!" Mind you, these are IMPORTANT side-effects, but side-effects just the same!

When I was a computer engineering student, we learned that the acquisition and storage of information and the printing of that information were just SIDE-EFFECTS of the multiprocessor (whose main functions were moving numbers and adding or subtracting numbers), even though that may have been the MAIN FUNCTION of the computer to the user!

Now, the REAL issue behind holiness is how does one become "clean?" How does one become "holy?"

It may SOUND like God is saying, "Keep this list of do's and don't's, and you will make yourself clean," but we learn in the New Testament, particularly Paul's words in Galatians, that the list of do's and don't's CAN'T make one clean!

Galatians 3:19-25 (KJV)

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? (What purpose does the Law serve?) It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. 21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. 22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster (tutor or pedagogue) to bring us unto Christ (the Messiah, the REAL rabbi or teacher), that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

And, we learn earlier in the same chapter that one CANNOT make oneself clean!

Galatians 3:1-11 (KJV)

1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (Answer: By the hearing of faith, of course!)  3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect (complete; mature) by the flesh? (We didn't GET the Spirit by the works of the Law; therefore, we can't KEEP the Spirit by the works of the Law, either!) 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 5 He therefore that ministereth (serves) to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

However, this is NOT a New Testament thing that was strictly given to the "Church," as so many claim, for DAVID knew about this:

Romans 4:1-8 (KJV)

1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, Retrobyter said:

Thoughts?

Hi Bro Retro,

I know that the Lord is Holy and He lives in me by His Holy Spirit, thus I am Holy.

`But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a HOLY nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvellous light.` (1 Peter 2: 9)

There is still the carnal aspect of my character that I am overcoming, however He is HOLY and He is within living His life through me.

regards, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

‘According as He hath chosen us in Him 
before the foundation of the world, 
that we should be holy and without blame 
before Him in love:’

(Eph 1:4)  

Hello there, @Marilyn C,

As you know, I do not acknowledge the verse you have quoted to apply to the members of the Church which is the Body of Christ, for we are neither a 'nation', nor were we given such promises. It is redeemed Israel who will be the recipients of those promises. The only promise the Church which is the Body of Christ has been given is life in Christ Jesus (1 Tim.1:1).

Holiness is being 'set apart' unto God. That is what we are, in Christ Jesus, set apart unto Him, by God's grace. This is something that God has done, through the sacrificial work of Christ Jesus our risen and glorified Saviour and Lord.  We have been presented 'holy and without blame', not because of what we have done, but because of the all-sufficient sacrifice of Christ on our behalf.

Praise God!

This is what we are in God's sight.  This is what we are to reckon on by faith, and walk accordingly, in gratitude, reverence, love and praise.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Edited by Christine
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1