Christine

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I do not understand/interpret "man" as referring to Noah exclusively.  The entire human society-excluding Noah and his family-were not considered righteous or just in God's eyes.  Remember that even though Noah was not perfect, he, nevertheless was considered righteous and deserving of life.  The the reference to "one-hundred and twenty years" does not refer to one's life expectancy-at that time-but the number of years before divine justice against the wicked human society would be destroyed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,492
  • Content Per Day:  1.53

On 9/10/2018 at 6:01 AM, Christine said:

Genesis 4:26 tell us that in the days of Seth's son, Enos, 'then man began to call on the name of the Lord', but as @Retrobyter has said in a previous post, and with which I agree, that name calling was not one of reverence but of profanity.

Not necessarily. As the avenger of blood we see these things.

Ge 4:15  And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

The sons of God could be prophets as Hebrews speaks. Tho dead cried out to the lord.

Heb 11:4  By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. {yet … : or, is yet spoken of }

Heb 12:24  And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel

Adam himself dieing or mankind all dieing in Adam?
1Co 15:22  For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

I suspect it was the blood of the righteous slain which were many that caused a great cry unto God, from the ground.

Gen 18:20  And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21  I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

Ge 18:25  That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

There were not enough righteous left alive in the city to be a great (many) cry unto God ("the judge of all the earth"). God was going there to see if the cry was as he had heard.

I just do not think you can leave these things out in these scriptures.

Sons of God?

50  That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;
51  From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias, which perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation.

Edited by Anne2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

'And it came to pass, 
when men (The man Adam - sing.) began to multiply on the face of the earth, 
and daughters were born unto them, (to Adam and Eve)
That the sons of God (Angels)
saw the daughters of men (The man Adam) that they were fair; 
and they took them wives of all which they chose.
And the LORD said, 
My spirit shall not always strive with man (The man Adam), 
for that he also is flesh: (The man Adam also as well as the others)
yet his (Adam's) days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
There were giants in the earth in those days; ('the days of Noah')
and also after that, 
when the sons of God (Angels) came in unto the daughters of men, 
and they bare children to them, 
the same became mighty men
which were of old, men of renown.
And GOD saw 
that the wickedness (lewdness, moral depravity) of man was great in the earth, 
and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart 
was only evil continually.
And it repented the LORD that He had made man on the earth, 
and it grieved Him at His heart.
And the LORD said, 
I will destroy man whom I have created 
from the face of the earth;
both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, 
and the fowls of the air; 
for it repenteth Me that I have made them.'
(Gen 6:1-8)  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

On 4/23/2022 at 8:40 PM, Markie51 said:

I do not understand/interpret "man" as referring to Noah exclusively.  The entire human society-excluding Noah and his family-were not considered righteous or just in God's eyes.  Remember that even though Noah was not perfect, he, nevertheless was considered righteous and deserving of life.  The the reference to "one-hundred and twenty years" does not refer to one's life expectancy-at that time-but the number of years before divine justice against the wicked human society would be destroyed.

'And the LORD said, 
My spirit shall not always strive with man (the man Adam), 
for that he also is flesh: 
yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.'
(Gen 6:3)  

Hello @Markie51,

The 120 yrs. does not refer to the days before the flood.  It refers to 'The man' Adam.  Adam had also corrupted his way, along with the rest of mankind.  

In Genesis 2:17, the Lord God had declared that Adam should die.  Here in Genesis 6:3 it is made more clear, that though he had lived 810 years, he should surely die. the breath of life (or spirit of life) from God, should not for ever remain in him.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

4 hours ago, Christine said:

'And it came to pass, 
when men (The man Adam - sing.) began to multiply on the face of the earth, 
and daughters were born unto them, (to Adam and Eve)
That the sons of God (Angels)

04397 מלאך mal’ak mal-awk’

from an unused root meaning to despatch as a deputy; n m; [BDB-521b] {See TWOT on 1068 @@ "1068a"}

AV-angel 111, messenger 98, ambassadors 4, variant 1; 214

1) messenger, representative
1a) messenger
1b) angel
1c) the theophanic angel 

1. The priests.......

Mal 2:7  For the priest’s lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger <04397> of the LORD of hosts.

2. John the baptist.......

Mal 3:1  Behold, I will send my messenger <04397>, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

The priests also were restricted concerning the women they were to marry.

Abel was a prophet

Edited by Anne2

On 4/23/2022 at 12:40 PM, Markie51 said:

Remember that even though Noah was not perfect, he, nevertheless was considered righteous and deserving of life. 

Heb 11:7  By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Ge 18:25  That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
Heb 12:23  To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,