• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,886
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 minutes ago, inbox24 said:

There seems to be a trend amongst churchgoers participating in reformed theology, an automatic assumption that people will persevere, that it actually is still an individual responsibility to persevere til the end.

To my mind Reformed Theology is extreme, but tolerable as white noise, like a lot of belief systems associated with Christianity. I enjoy mixing it with diehard Calvinists whose amillenialism cancels any harpazo(rapture) but anticipates the man of sin and the Great White Throne Judgment.

I like these verses which are very helpful when being presented with interpretations of the Scriptures that don't sit well:

2Ti 2:14-16
(14)  Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
(15)  Study to shew yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
(16)  But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

There are some Bible-believing Christians who cannot abide anyone disagreeing with their mindset, which means they will not find enduring fellowship anywhere. So much for the wisdom from above: 

Jas 3:17-18
(17)  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
(18)  And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

19 hours ago, inbox24 said:

I really like your answer to my "truly saved" question and this is a question I've always pondered, even before I left the church 5 years ago, so thank you for reminding me of it. There seems to be a trend amongst churchgoers participating in reformed theology, an automatic assumption that people will persevere, that it actually is still an individual responsibility to persevere til the end. I've talked to many people about this question now, and you're the first one who's brought this up. I think your attitude is a great one to have and explains the Philippians passage of "working out the salvation with fear and trembling" and various passages where Paul talks about running the race til the end and God hating people who "shrink back".

Thank you Inbox24

I cannot express enough that he that endures to the end will be saved.  We are soldiers in training at the moment going through an exercise.    We are given all the tools we need to fight against the weapons of the enemy, and Christ is showing us how to use these tools.  It's not just about how many people we preach to, or attending church or not, and the Christian people around us not doing as they should, but it's about us personally, converting our heart in every way we think, say and do.  This is a journey and it takes time to adopt Christ's spirit.  I am going to share something with you.  At first for me, there were a few things that I couldn't let go of for Christ. Still holding on to sin, which I thought wasn't too bad at time, but looking back now, it was one abomination after another.   I thought I could do it my way, ....but after a while I fell badly and sunk into a hole, for quite some time, and reaped everything that I sowed.  I cannot even begin to explain the despair I felt knowing that I had turned my back on Christ, ...and that feeling of emptiness inside,...no security, no protection, just anger, bitterness, fear and misery...all the let-downs, and swimming in problems one after the other with no one to turn to but the world which never could help.  It got so bad that I wanted to die, but I knew if I died, Christ would be there to judge me also,....and I sunk so low with no where to go but down.  It became so bad that my life was in real danger for a time, and I was held captive by a mad man.  A week before this, I had started to pick up the bible again, and those old feelings came back, and the tears, and my sin was revealed.  I didn't know how to escape my situation.   In my darkess moment I cried out to the Lord and asked him to deliver me from this mad-man one night, and the Lord sent help at 1am in the morning.  For me, this was the turn around.  That was the day the light truly shined for me.  I called, he answered.  In a flash he sent help.  I will never ever forget that desperation, and now I truly understand that verse which says he who is forgiven for much, loves much.  There were other times after this that he sent help, and when I truly realised that he loved me, despite all my sins layered on top of each other, I learned quickly how to love him back and cling to him every day of my life, so that cord can never be broken again.  I am so excited to please him now, to show him how grateful I am for taking me out of that situation, and I want to know everything about the Word,...all the milk, all the solids, the whole lot so that I do not miss one single thing.  This is when he really started to feed me, but I had to read, and I did it this time with pleasure, trust and faith, knowing that when you touch the hot iron, it burns.

Some of these Christians you described maybe have not gone through the darkness like some others have, which is why they become complacent.  Some are born into Christianity thinking they've been saved since birth, because that's what their told all the time, but truly havn't experienced or tasted evil and learned the hard way.  These types are the types Satan loves the most, giving them false security.  They have been handed their "doctrine" on a plate.  It's all taught and given by men- the doctrine already worked out for them. No personal seeking involved. A doctrine that has many errors in it, will not stand when the storm comes.  It will leave one feeling empty. There is a spirit of error and a spirit of truth.  The spirit of error produces very little fruits of the heart.

If you truly love the Lord, or seeking to know how to love him,  you will go straight to the scriptures and find that true doctrine for yourself, and Christ will really feed you.  When we seek truth and put it above all things, ...things really move on to the next level, and the fruits of the spirit will be felt.  Love is the most important, and love will be given to you.  It's a gift.  You can't just grab it, it has to be given according to the measure of your heart.  Christ wants us to labour in his Word to seek this truth.  Seek and ye shall find.  Ask and it shall be given.  Go the distance with him, and he will go that distance with you.  Don't look to the world and all their faults, look into his Word.  Eat it, drink it, digest it, understand it.  Good medicine for the soul heals and strengthens the things that are weak.  That medicine is truth.

To wrap up what I started saying, is that Christ sees deep into the heart.  If a Christian is not going through any type of persecutions, and living an abundant life getting all the good things of the world, with out any problems....then they are still in Babylon.  We were called to come out of her, or else we shall receive her plagues.  To come out of Babylon means to separate one's self from the world.  The world is worshiping the material, and worshiping things made with man's hands that have no life or breath in them.  They are worshiping technology and inventions of man.  It's the spirit of gimme gimme, ....all about how much we can acquire.  When this comes first, Christ will come second best.  Truth will be lost, because of that slumber they are in, and God is bringing on the tribulation see if they've been doing their exercises and practicing all the tools Christ gave in preparation for the great battle that lies ahead.  When persecution comes for the sake of Christ, many will get offended and fall.  This is Christ's way of cleaning out his house, or giving one last chance to really change when push comes to shove.  As the saying goes, time to put their money where their mouth is.  Walk the talk now. 

He that endures to the end will be saved.  And in saying that, some have gone through all those hard tests already, and have overcome, because the enemy tried to take them off this path, and put many obstacles in the way, but they used the tools Christ gave, which is truth, self control, discipline.  Christ knows who truly belongs to him, but we must always stay humble, not lift ourselves up, and be prepared to battle whatever comes our way, not claiming our reward just yet, because Christ has to come with that reward, for it's with him.  In that, I don't boast that I've finished the race already, because there's a bit more yet to go and it's going to be a hard race, ...not a walk in the park.

Edited by Sister

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

I had already resigned myself to simply seeking his will, praying that I'll put my trust in Jesus, putting to death sin in my life, helping the poor, witnessing etc and that at the end of my life, even if I am not saved, that at least I would have "done what I could" rather than going back to the world, although these last few days have been hard, dealing with falling back into worldly think when I'm around pagan friends or family, there's almost a demonic wave overwhelming the soul to start worrying about money, career, dying alone, it's almost unexplainable and it's not necessarily explicit or specific things which are said in such conversations, but just a general 'vibe'. 

Inbox 24

I feel the same way around my family sometimes.  They are still in Babylon, and they try to keep us there.  What's important to them, and high on their list of achievements, is the fall of a Christian.  After a while, my ears just block out what they are saying, and I am equiped now how to answer them, whereas I wasn't before.  They soon snap out of it, most of the times!

One counter to your argument though is that the Bible says in 1 John that "I write these things to you so that you may KNOW that you are saved", other places it talks about assurance of salvation, I just get a sense it seems that God does want us to know that we are his children if we are indeed.

Yes I know it says that, because the apostles are there to encourage us to stay on this path.  We know that on this path there is a crown of life waiting for us at the end.  But that's them telling us that.  They are the foundations of Christ, and sent to teach us and appreciate this gift of salvation.  It doesn't mean that we have to brag about ourselves that we have already finished the race, but can in turn encourage someone else - not to tickle their ears, but to state a fact they are under mercy....if we truly know they are sincere.

How do we know?

Whether they have truth or not.

How do we know if they have truth?

We have to know it first, or else there is nothing to judge by.  You don't judge a man by "his" doctrine, but by the Word of God, straight from the book.  And when I say judging, I don't mean judging whether he's going to hell or not, because only Christ can judge that, but judging whether or not he's walking in the truth.  We don't condemn, we try to help steer them the right way, and if he doesn't listen, after three times we are allowed to wipe the dust of our feet. 

It's sometimes hard to even share the gospel without having assurance, I mean at the moment I can't even declare to someone that "I am a Christian" because I genuinely don't know. I don't understand how other people can be so bold in declaring they are a Christian when I see obvious sin in their life. Not from a criticising perspective, but from a point of view that I am worried about their lack of worry!

If you are serving Christ only, then that makes you a Christian.

If the others have obvious sin in their life, ....they are still Christians, but not good ones serving in the spirit of truth.  There are good Christians and bad Christians, which is why there is a great test coming.

2 Timothy 2:20   But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

Regardless, they are still your brothers.  If your brothers are not walking in truth, you are not obligated to mingle with them, but obligated to still love them and treat them as a brother if they need you, or you bump into them.  Christ can convict some of them down the track, and some may repent.

One question which still bugs me is, how do you know whether you know something given that the heart is deceitful and desperately wicked?

Can you please rephrase this question?

Do you mean after you know something is given, how do you tell if your heart is still deceitful and desperately wicked?

If that's what you mean, then when you read the scriptures, the spirit will convict you of something.  Test according to the scriptures.

How do I know if I love God?

How do you know if you love God? 

Can you see that all his ways are righteous?  Do you love righteousness, and hate all the things that he hates?  Can you see that he is guiding you into his glorious kingdom, and showing you how to travel this road?  Do you feel protected by him as in he will deliver you from terror?  I mean real evil terror?

Do you fear his name, and what he is capable of if you should ever turn to acts of wickedness?

Do you see his glory in everything he made, invisible, and visible, and wonder at his greatness, his wisdom, his power, and his mercy? 

Are you in total awe of his Word, and the whole plan he made for mankind from beginning to end?

Do you look forward to a time coming, when evil will be put away, for the sake of the good, and justice and fairness finally shows it's face all around us?

Do you crave for a world with peace, without wars and killing and death, without lies and hard labour with no reward,....for a life away from the enemy and a land without oppressions?

I think only  you can answer this.

I think by the world's definition I am some "psychopath/sociopath" as I cannot seem to feel empathy for other people in a lot of cases (or only in restricted cases). Like I may feel sorry for a homeless guy on the street walking past, but I probably wouldn't shed a tear if certain people in my life died, or if a bunch of people in the church passed away. Is love for God a particular feeling that one has? Or is it just doing things? Paul says that doing without love is worthless, so then what is this love he talks about? How can I claim to be a true Christian if my heart is still like this?

I honestly think that you are just disappointed in what's around you.  You've become numb to all the nonsense and tired of this world.  You feel no spiritual connection to anyone because you can see all the foolishness and their self serving attitudes.  I perceive that you are a very intellegent man, and a perfectionist, and that this imperfect world with all the imperfect people around is getting you down. 

Brother, when it comes to love, rebuke those negative thoughts.  Ask for love and ye shall receive.  It doesn't come instantly.  Labour in the truth and the Lord will give.  Love is not showering everyone with gifts, and attending all their invitations to mingle, it can be so simple as to do no man any harm, and if any man is in need,...if he be hungry, or thirsty, or beaten,  be there to help as best as you can.  If you don't lie to anyone, don't cheat, don't cheat even the taxman, or steal anyone's wife, nor covet whatever they have, nor use abusive speech, nor backstab, put pray for them instead in the privacy of your room, and in your heart wish them well, then you have love brother.

Edited by Sister

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, Sister said:

I cannot express enough that he that endures to the end will be saved.  We are soldiers in training at the moment going through an exercise.    We are given all the tools we need to fight against the weapons of the enemy, and Christ is showing us how to use these tools.  It's not just about how many people we preach to, or attending church or not, and the Christian people around us not doing as they should, but it's about us personally, converting our heart in every way we think, say and do.  This is a journey and it takes time to adopt Christ's spirit.  I am going to share something with you.  At first for me, there were a few things that I couldn't let go of for Christ. Still holding on to sin, which I thought wasn't too bad at time, but looking back now, it was one abomination after another.   I thought I could do it my way, ....but after a while I fell badly and sunk into a hole, for quite some time, and reaped everything that I sowed.  I cannot even begin to explain the despair I felt knowing that I had turned my back on Christ, ...and that feeling of emptiness inside,...no security, no protection, just anger, bitterness, fear and misery...all the let-downs, and swimming in problems one after the other with no one to turn to but the world which never could help.  It got so bad that I wanted to die, but I knew if I died, Christ would be there to judge me also,....and I sunk so low with no where to go but down.  It became so bad that my life was in real danger for a time, and I was held captive by a mad man.  A week before this, I had started to pick up the bible again, and those old feelings came back, and the tears, and my sin was revealed.  I didn't know how to escape my situation.   In my darkess moment I cried out to the Lord and asked him to deliver me from this mad-man one night, and the Lord sent help at 1am in the morning.  For me, this was the turn around.  That was the day the light truly shined for me.  I called, he answered.  In a flash he sent help.  I will never ever forget that desperation, and now I truly understand that verse which says he who is forgiven for much, loves much.  There were other times after this that he sent help, and when I truly realised that he loved me, despite all my sins layered on top of each other, I learned quickly how to love him back and cling to him every day of my life, so that cord can never be broken again.  I am so excited to please him now, to show him how grateful I am for taking me out of that situation, and I want to know everything about the Word,...all the milk, all the solids, the whole lot so that I do not miss one single thing.  This is when he really started to feed me, but I had to read, and I did it this time with pleasure, trust and faith, knowing that when you touch the hot iron, it burns.

Thank you for sharing your experiences sister. They seem to be quite common with many Christians I've talked to online and some offline, that he seems to provide deliverance and save us when we are in the direst of situations and often before then, we haven't really come to "the end of ourselves" and are maybe still relying on ourselves, thinking that we can do it ourselves whilst paying lip service to God by saying that we have surrendered but we really haven't. Your hunger for the word reminds me of 2 Corinthians 10:4 which talks about the weapons of our warfare not being physical/carnal, but the truth of the Word being the weapon to kill off all of Satan's lies. I am trying to put to death sin in my life and this morning was struggling with overeating and literally in temptation minute by minute, and maybe trying to rely on my own self control measures. But after some prayer, I realised that the only way to overcome these long term sins is through being filled with the Holy Spirit, being in the Word, and filling our thoughts with Christ, rather than simply desiring not to do a particular action again or relying solely on fleshly programs. But even that will go through valleys and mountains and that often the sin we commit is due to not drawing close to God from a few days ago and starting to rely on ourselves. I also want to experience what you have experienced with KNOWING that you have been forgiven much, KNOWING God's love and grace penetrating to the heart and I think that way, I will be less judgemental and harsh on other people, and love them genuinely, which sometimes may be gentle and forgiving and other times still rebuking, but doing it out of love and with gentleness rather than out of pride. 

On 8/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, Sister said:

Some of these Christians you described maybe have not gone through the darkness like some others have, which is why they become complacent.  Some are born into Christianity thinking they've been saved since birth, because that's what their told all the time, but truly havn't experienced or tasted evil and learned the hard way.  These types are the types Satan loves the most, giving them false security.  They have been handed their "doctrine" on a plate.  It's all taught and given by men- the doctrine already worked out for them. No personal seeking involved. A doctrine that has many errors in it, will not stand when the storm comes.  It will leave one feeling empty. There is a spirit of error and a spirit of truth.  The spirit of error produces very little fruits of the heart.

On 8/5/2018 at 5:22 PM, Sister said:

If you are serving Christ only, then that makes you a Christian.

If the others have obvious sin in their life, ....they are still Christians, but not good ones serving in the spirit of truth.  There are good Christians and bad Christians, which is why there is a great test coming.

2 Timothy 2:20   But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

Regardless, they are still your brothers.  If your brothers are not walking in truth, you are not obligated to mingle with them, but obligated to still love them and treat them as a brother if they need you, or you bump into them.  Christ can convict some of them down the track, and some may repent.

But if these people are true Christians, wouldn't have have had to gone through that period of soul searching, of darkness, of suffering and persecution. 2 Timothy 3:12 says that ALL who desire to live godly will be persecuted. I just don't know how these people could be 'true Christians'. In a way, I feel that it is 'unfair' that these people have no struggles, can 'sin abundantly' and still have the title of Christian and part of me thinks that if they are truly saved, then I would even get angry at God! for allowing such people to enter. But then I'm reminded and probably rebuked by the parable fo the vineyard with the earlier workers complaining about the later ones. I still don't think how people who love Babylon can have the love of the father in them (1 John). So I guess I'm caught in a bind, part of me is jealous, but part of me is not because I suspect their end will be Matthew 7:21 and we just have to expend all our efforts in not judging them, but on ourselves in not ending like them, and saving those who want to listen. I guess I was just disappointed that I was expecting church to be full (or at least with some people - such as yourself) who care about personal holiness, seeking God in everything and walking the narrow path. That's what I was seeking from church, to become a true Christian and live holy, and then being able to bear much fruit from abiding in him and having a good community to platform from.

I do agree that Satan loves such people and in a way, if I was the enemy, I would try to give all false Christians as much peace and assurance as possible to ensure their destruction, whilst at the same time, I would try to plague all true Christians with as much doubt and insecurity as possible. So in that sense, for most people who are earnestly seeking God, should we even 'rejoice' in our doubt and struggles because it means we are drawing closer to God and therefore Satan and the demons are expending more effort attack us and prevent us from arriving at full faith in Jesus Christ.  

I decided in September of last year to go back to church and not judge the people who were there, but obviously have failed in that. I think leaving the church and turning my back on God all those years ago, the same temptation has been offered to me once again in being not able to find community, but I think this time, I will simply continue to seek God, do one on one 'church' and still try to walk the narrow path despite all the Babylonians within the church system, rather than them 'causing' me to stumble once again.

How do you know if you love God? 

Can you see that all his ways are righteous?  Do you love righteousness, and hate all the things that he hates?  Can you see that he is guiding you into his glorious kingdom, and showing you how to travel this road?  Do you feel protected by him as in he will deliver you from terror?  I mean real evil terror?

Do you fear his name, and what he is capable of if you should ever turn to acts of wickedness?

Do you see his glory in everything he made, invisible, and visible, and wonder at his greatness, his wisdom, his power, and his mercy? 

Are you in total awe of his Word, and the whole plan he made for mankind from beginning to end?

Do you look forward to a time coming, when evil will be put away, for the sake of the good, and justice and fairness finally shows it's face all around us?

Do you crave for a world with peace, without wars and killing and death, without lies and hard labour with no reward,....for a life away from the enemy and a land without oppressions?

I think only  you can answer this.

I get glimpses of some of those things. But other sins in my life seem besetting. For example when I came back to church and started to seek Jesus again in September last year, certain addictions in my life which I had been struggling for for 15+ years just feel off and disappeared, not in the sense I had to struggle against them, but I feel that by the grace of God even the desire for sexual sin was terminated. I was no longer hateful and angry and people were commenting on the change. But certain things are still a bane, such as eating, and possibly wanting coveting marriage to fix loneliness, or still being unloving towards other people. So it makes me wonder, well non Christians can give up pet addictions as well, maybe it is just the same as them. I do want to please God in living a holy life and cut out as much sin as I can, I want to be worthy to serve and do his purposes, but sometimes I still worry about things like money and worldly success and saving face (coming from a Chinese background) that I will become the refuse of the world and become the shame of my family to give up all my money and I just don't know how to overcome that fear which I thought I had overcome but after hanging around the family for a while, it starts to plant seeds in the brain again. Stuff like "maybe I should still try to work hard and get a high paying job to 'make use of my talents for the glory of God'", or going back to storing up money in order to look after my parent as they age. Some of those things you ask, I do see, like observing creation and just wanting to bow down in praise of the Lord, but other things not so much. I do look forward to his coming again, I'm tired of the struggle in the world, but because of my doubts about my salvation, I'm kind of scared as well. But I think your main point here is that only I can answer, so I think the longer I persist, hopefully I will continue abiding and start to bear fruit and then the election will be more sure to confirm. Maybe true assurance simply comes from experience, experience of walking with God, experience of bearing fruit (not the casting out demons or prophesying, but the fruit of Galatians and making disciples)?

Can you please rephrase this question?

Do you mean after you know something is given, how do you tell if your heart is still deceitful and desperately wicked?

If that's what you mean, then when you read the scriptures, the spirit will convict you of something.  Test according to the scriptures.

I guess it's just a logical deduction. Let's say from Matthew 7:21 and Luke 13:24 you've got people who are self deceived. The definition of self deceived is that they deceived themselves right? But the problem is I don't believe anyone in this life deliberately seeks to live a deceived life, not even non believers. Every human being on this earth being selfish, seeks to live in a way that they believe leads to their best interest. Now whether the way that they live actually leads to their best interest is another matter. But every seeks it, including atheists, including communists etc etc. They believe that communism or atheism will be in their best interests, but they are self deceived. In the same way I believe that the people in those two verses lived in a way they thought would save them, they thought they were saved, but in fact were not, but they were self deceived because Jeremiah 17:9 says that the heart is deceitful above all things... So to turn the question back on us again, how do we know that we haven't deceived ourselves? Even with all the signs of fruit (or what we think are signs of fruit), even with all the signs of sanctification (or what we think are signs of sanctification), how do we know we haven't just lived one big lie and end up like the people in those two verses? Even if we compare with Scripture, how do we know that the thing we have in our life is the thing that scripture talks about? Let's say someone thinks that they've come to Christ, and they notice that they're not doing drugs anymore, how do they know that such abstinence is from the Holy Spirit working in them - and therefore that's a sign that they are saved because only saved people have the Holy Spirit in them? Because even unsaved people can quit drugs. So in that sense the we're testing if that is a genuine fruit of repentance versus whether it's a moral renovation. Then we can start to test whether the feeling we have in our heart is actually a love for others or just a warm and fuzzy feeling which is self centred (something which often non believers mistake as 'love'). Even if it produces great actions, for example "offering your body up to be burned", it is possible to do that without love as Paul says. So how do we know whether the thing we have in our heart is true love that comes from God, or just a manufactured deceiving feeling? When I examine all the "tests of salvation in 1 John", you can almost break them all down in this way and it creates major doubt because I feel we can't even tell if anything is real in our life. Another example, it talks about loving the world, well to what degree does affection for something constitute loving the world? I guess a theologically correct answer might be well, that if you love something more than God, but how can we tell that? I know lots of people who have hobbies in their lives which I perceive to be idolatrous, but to them they feel that it is not idolatrous? Maybe I just want to read the book of Life right now to ensure that I am a true Christian? Or is there some other 'spiritual blood test' which can produce an objective result. 2 Corinthians 13:5 seems to suggest that there is one but doesn't seem to detail it.

I don't think I can articulate my question very well to be honest, but that's my best attempt for now? To summarise, I think my question is, how does a person know that they're saved? The question is not how does a saved person have assurance? Sorry, it's a bit convoluted.

I honestly think that you are just disappointed in what's around you.  You've become numb to all the nonsense and tired of this world.  You feel no spiritual connection to anyone because you can see all the foolishness and their self serving attitudes.  I perceive that you are a very intellegent man, and a perfectionist, and that this imperfect world with all the imperfect people around is getting you down. 

I will continue to seek God's Word, try to pray more and lean on him rather than self and build a relationship with Jesus Christ. You have truly encouraged me, thank you sister.

Edited by inbox24
  • Praise God! 1