IGNORED

Is salvation by WORKS or by FAITH or by BOTH?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/19/2018 at 3:52 PM, Tyler S. said:

I think my final and ultimate confusion about my eternal destination HAS to be the WAY we are saved. Paul, in his many letters, restated over and over and over (and I’m paraphrasing here) that it is by FAITH that we’re saved! He thinks of good works as profitable and pleasing to God and we’ll be rewarded but they don’t SAVE us. This seemed to make sense until I read on to James and saw that, apparently, faith without WORKS is dead and that God doesn’t recognize faith that isn’t augmented by WORKS...but I thought all out righteousness was like filthy rags? So how can I have faith in the finished work of Christ’s mercy and have “assurance” of my salvation if James says I need works...effectively EARNING my salvation. Originally I thought “oh well James wasn’t writing to ME so it’s fine” but, then again, neither was Paul right? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! ?

Tyler! Where did you go? You have received so many outstanding scriptural explanations to you confusion about faith and works, but you haven't indicated if this has resolved your confusion.  It is certainly important to know the difference between faith and works, how the former saves and the latter is just an inherent "fruit" of being saved, and why faith without works is dead (because there is no faith in the first place!).

Do you understand this now? Please let everyone here know.

Thanks Tyler S.

Cheers!!! :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

Respectfully, kindly, anyone who says or thinks works "do" salvation is denying the clear, free gift discussed in the Bible--and is saying Jesus DIED FOR NO REASON.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Works faith nullifies salvation (or actually was never salvation to begin with). 

John 3:16-18

Ephesians 2:8-10

John 6:29

Galatians 3:24-25

Any who teach otherwise is trying to enslave the free with the Old Covenant Law.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Hebrews 9:16–17 (AV)
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The New Testament / New Covenant did not start until Jesus was on the cross. 

Maybe that will help clear up some of the confusion forced upon us by the traditions of man (Mark 7:13).

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

It is clear we will be judged on our works. Rom 2:6-11

james 2:14 faith without works is dead.

your works WILL reflect your faith.

It is also clear we are saved by faith through grace . In salvation God does ALL the work all you have to do is submit & not fight, let go your desires & ask your self will this action glorify God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom Tyler, 

As previously a Christian, then a messianic, then a Christian again i can appreciate your question. 

Rest assured, we are saved BY faith, not works. But, if we have faith then we should have works or otherwise - how is the faith working in our lives. 

The best I've heard it said is that "we aren't saved BY good works but FOR good works"

Love & Shalom