IGNORED

Is salvation by WORKS or by FAITH or by BOTH?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/09/1967

I would say it's by faith.  The works should come afterwards once you're saved.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On 7/30/2018 at 11:14 PM, John_Leung said:

Believe that Jesus once died for your sins and is living to help you overcome sins.  Repent by asking for forgiveness of your sins and make the decision to sin no more. 

Works help demonstrate faith.  Like praying "Lord, save me!" when you realize you're sinning or about to sin, or in a difficult situation, like Peter did when he was drowning mentioned in gospel of John.  Also by turning to Jesus, pray to Him, etc. Faith is trusting that He is, so doing whatever that pleases Him is showing faith.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm not sure it says anywhere that we must ask forgiveness of our sins. Rather, we must confess them. I only bring this up because Jesus tells us to forgive those who sin against us, without them asking for forgiveness. And in the "Lord's prayer", we are told to pray similarly to this, "forgive us our sins BECAUSE we forgive those who sin against us."

I dunno. On my road to understanding it is going through the standard "gets more complicated" phase before the "gets a lot simpler" phase.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:00 PM, RRep said:

salvation is by belief alone. belief in Jesus death burial and resurrection then you receive the holy spirit and then you can not commit the unpardonable sin. because you believe.

Some things may be true but not appropriate to say when you wish to encourage some ones faith. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
KJV

Why because God is not keeping any of the works, world, universe

2 Peter 3:10-13

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
KJV

it is a simple reasoning
God's holiness is of purest reason that sin has no place >but hell created in fact for it< and it shall have no place with Us with God into eternity... not even the memory of it

Rev 21:1-4

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
KJV

The everlasting cannot be realized yet for this fact-> according to all that was 1st creation 'all that comprises it' ceases... and what shall be will have nothing relating to of kind due to what God has said here to us

1 Cor 2:9

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
KJV

So if you are using the things of this life thinking they will yield eternal things it is not according to the Word of God! That is why it is faith alone that will satisfy God

Heb 11:1

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
KJV

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, Tyler S. said:

I think my final and ultimate confusion about my eternal destination HAS to be the WAY we are saved. Paul, in his many letters, restated over and over and over (and I’m paraphrasing here) that it is by FAITH that we’re saved! He thinks of good works as profitable and pleasing to God and we’ll be rewarded but they don’t SAVE us. This seemed to make sense until I read on to James and saw that, apparently, faith without WORKS is dead and that God doesn’t recognize faith that isn’t augmented by WORKS...but I thought all out righteousness was like filthy rags? So how can I have faith in the finished work of Christ’s mercy and have “assurance” of my salvation if James says I need works...effectively EARNING my salvation. Originally I thought “oh well James wasn’t writing to ME so it’s fine” but, then again, neither was Paul right? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! ?

Maybe an analogy and some typology can help.

Jesus cursed the fig tree that had only leaves but no fruit, Adam and Eve tried covering their nakedness with fig leaves, the man who entered the wedding feast wearing the wrong garment was thrown out.

The leaves on the fig tree protect the fruit from the harsh Mideast sun, James said faith without works is dead and a fig without a leaf will also die. Faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God, we are told to be doers of the word and not hearers only, if we constantly hear the word but never apply it to our lives the faith we have will eventually dry up. So our growth through trials and seeking His understanding preserves our faith. 

Conviction and repentance is part of a believers life, we get things right most of the time thru failure. But even failure comes from trying.

All religion of this world seeks to cover nakedness with fig leaves as did Adam and Eve. A works righteousness will get you nowhere, it's fruitless. Hence the fig tree. God provided garments for Adam and Eve and the same applies today. The garment of salvation is a gift from God provided by the death and resurrection of His Son, just as something had to die for the provision in the garden. Interesting that Jesus handed Himself over in a garden and rose from the dead in a garden. Mary mistook Him for the gardener.

Religion will get you a look at the wedding feast but never able to taste it. The man had a garment on but not the garment of salvation. Don't get hung up on works lest we fall into a works righteousness. Jesus said, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you." 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Salvation is by believing Jesus and trusting in the atonement He secured for our salvation...

So salvation is by Believing and Trusting God..

Never add your works into the mix of what saves you..

If you do so then you will not be saved..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

On 8/13/2018 at 5:49 PM, Mike Mclees said:

Some things may be true but not appropriate to say when you wish to encourage some ones faith. 

I must respectfully disagree.Many people and especially “ babes” in Christ are scared to death that they have committed the unpardonable sin.Many Believers have had their faith shipwrecked,some have become suicidal.One sees it almost daily here and on plenty of other Christian Forums.Newbies need all the information they can get , as soon as they can get it.I think any truth is appropriate as long as it is Biblical and we should not have to handle newbies with “ kid gloves”....we do them a disservice if we underestimate  what they can handle....

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

On 8/10/2018 at 1:21 PM, Still Alive said:

I'm not sure it says anywhere that we must ask forgiveness of our sins. Rather, we must confess them. I only bring this up because Jesus tells us to forgive those who sin against us, without them asking for forgiveness. And in the "Lord's prayer", we are told to pray similarly to this, "forgive us our sins BECAUSE we forgive those who sin against us."

I dunno. On my road to understanding it is going through the standard "gets more complicated" phase before the "gets a lot simpler" phase.

Fortunately, confession of sin and forgiving others are also not part of salvation/getting saved. Jesus died a horrible death then resurrected to pay our sin, guilt and shame.

Our two-word response? TRUST JESUS.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Please allow me to add my own conclusion. Yes it is by faith alone that anyone is saved out from under the wrath of God, but it is not my self, my faith, that saves me, it is Jesus' faith. It is by Christ alone that I am saved.

Oh I have faith. I have advantage over even Peter what with the passage of time and opportunity that He did not have.  Peter was very bold in his own faith. He declared he would never fail his Lord. Jesus said otherwise, and before the next dawn Peter's faith had failed three times.

So I suggest placing faith in myself is grand folly. I place my faith my trust to a certainty only in the blood sacrifice made by Christ Jesus, when he took on my personal sins against God and He  suffered the price of my sin, which is death.

Jesus did die because He took on my shame my sin. He paid the price of sin as only the perfect one that created all that is created could. He conquered even death itself so that many may live eternally with God the Father and the Holy Spirit. Further my Bible reads that all who Jesus died for were foreknown to God the Father, are predestined to be saved by Jesus by whom each that are to be saved were given to him by God the Father, and that Jesus does not ever lose a one. He is the Good Shepherd that lays down His life for his flock his sheep.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

According to Paul, it is by BELIEVING his Gospel and not adding to it is the manner for Salvation this side of the Cross, the Age of Grace in which we live today .It is what God will judge us by. It is hidden from those that are lost.Faith in the finished work of the Cross.Plus Nothing.God bless