IGNORED

How do you feel encouraged in times of discouragement?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

We all go through difficult times in life where we get bad breaks or experience problems in general. Maybe we lost our job, failed a relationship, or experienced some other challenge. It’s easy to feel discouraged when the going gets tough.

As for myself, I’ve been feeling discouraged for quite some time now. I’m approaching age 30, and I haven’t accomplished much in life. Many of my friends from high school are married, have children, and own a house. I still haven’t done much of anything. For this reason, the discouraged feelings I endure are overwhelming.

I know in my heart of hearts that God has plans for me. After all, it’s written in the Bible that our heavenly father has a plan for everyone (Jeremiah 29:11). But still, it seems like I’m going nowhere. I feel like a lost cause.

How do you feel encouraged in times of discouragement? I ask this question seeking advice from fellow Christians. Hopefully, I can gain some insight or wisdom and successfully deal with my issue.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

45 minutes ago, ambc said:

We all go through difficult times in life where we get bad breaks or experience problems in general. Maybe we lost our job, failed a relationship, or experienced some other challenge. It’s easy to feel discouraged when the going gets tough.

As for myself, I’ve been feeling discouraged for quite some time now. I’m approaching age 30, and I haven’t accomplished much in life. Many of my friends from high school are married, have children, and own a house. I still haven’t done much of anything. For this reason, the discouraged feelings I endure are overwhelming.

I know in my heart of hearts that God has plans for me. After all, it’s written in the Bible that our heavenly father has a plan for everyone (Jeremiah 29:11). But still, it seems like I’m going nowhere. I feel like a lost cause.

How do you feel encouraged in times of discouragement? I ask this question seeking advice from fellow Christians. Hopefully, I can gain some insight or wisdom and successfully deal with my issue.

My advice is to believe every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God , and you can pray for the change you want to see just don't give up and learn to wait on the Lord . Have a goal and pray for God to put you in positions to witness to the lost and willing to offer prayer at the drop of a hat . Learn a skill such as welding and go for it, you're not married now and traveling skilled tradesmen can make a ton of money and live a tuff but exciting life. save your money with a goal in mind. Try to get in your age church groups, visit other churches , participate and be an asset . Prayers in Jesus name you become the unique Christian God created you to be and may our Lord grant you your hearts desire .. Seek out your anointing by asking for laying on of hands and an oil anointing with prayer .. You have to ask .. Peace Bro ..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

32 minutes ago, brujaq said:

My advice is to believe every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God , and you can pray for the change you want to see just don't give up and learn to wait on the Lord . Have a goal and pray for God to put you in positions to witness to the lost and willing to offer prayer at the drop of a hat . Learn a skill such as welding and go for it, you're not married now and traveling skilled tradesmen can make a ton of money and live a tuff but exciting life. save your money with a goal in mind. Try to get in your age church groups, visit other churches , participate and be an asset . Prayers in Jesus name you become the unique Christian God created you to be and may our Lord grant you your hearts desire .. Seek out your anointing by asking for laying on of hands and an oil anointing with prayer .. You have to ask .. Peace Bro ..

Hey, thanks.

I’m an adept prose writer whose command over the English language is par excellence. I’ve been using my writing skills to get work. Last week I was hired by an online affiliate company to write several articles on various herbal supplements to market them. In fact, I’ve been doing this sort of contract work for the past year. But jobs are sporadic, and they don’t pay very well. I’ve only been making $700 a month, give or take. I figured that if I had stable employment as a writer, that would help me feel encouraged in life. Unfortunately, I don’t have an English degree, so no one will hire me.

I do have an idea for an online business. It’s a very good idea, in fact. But for some reason I keep putting it off. When I do work on it, I get discouraged for some reason and delay my work even more.

Getting involved with my church is definitely a good idea. I attend religious services every Sunday, then I go to a Bible study group with my parents. But that’s about it. There are barely any young people at my church.

I think I need to trust God more and let the Holy Spirit guide me. It’s always best “not to lean on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5-6). Idleness is indeed a big issue that I have. I must be more productive and figure out a way to get myself motivated.

• Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

3 minutes ago, ambc said:

Hey, thanks.

I’m an adept prose writer whose command over the English language is par excellence. I’ve been using my writing skills to get work. Last week I was hired by an online affiliate company to write several articles on various herbal supplements to market them. In fact, I’ve been doing this sort of contract work for the past year. But jobs are sporadic, and they don’t pay very well. I’ve only been making $700 a month, give or take. I figured that if I had stable employment as a writer, that would help me feel encouraged in life. Unfortunately, I don’t have an English degree, so no one will hire me.

I do have an idea for an online business. It’s a very good idea, in fact. But for some reason I keep putting it off. When I do work on it, I get discouraged for some reason and delay my work even more.

Getting involved with my church is definitely a good idea. I attend religious services every Sunday, then I go to a Bible study group with my parents. But that’s about it. There are barely any young people at my church.

I think I need to trust God more and let the Holy Spirit guide me. It’s always best “not to lean on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5-6). Idleness is indeed a big issue that I have. I must be more productive and figure out a way to get myself motivated.

Sounds interesting and good luck friend .. What ever you do don't be afraid to act in faith and go-for-it with Jesus in mind . You be the guy, work harder, be better, and do more as you represent yourself and the Lord .. You're gonna have to do it anyway, go the extra mile and be your best with good attitude ..

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I also don't feel as though i've accomplished much. Truth is, every job i've held have been temporary jobs, except for one which was a fast food gig and that didn't end well. Also one which didn't last long at all; they hired me on to run a press, but in reality, they were looking for a general laborer and wanted me to go here, do that, go there, do this. Basically not running a press and doing everything else instead.

I was the academic sort when I was growing up, but I never quite excelled anywhere. The reason why is that I had no idea what I wanted to do. I always just figured that it didn't matter what work I did, so long as I enjoyed doing it. Some weird idea that something would just land in my lap, you know? By the time I decided to look into schooling, I had no idea what i'd be doing.

These temp jobs and other failed jobs? I don't regret them. Because whereas before I had no idea what I wanted to do, i've obtained a fair idea of what I DON'T want to do. They've allowed me to get closer to an idea of what i'm looking for. I also enjoy writing prose and poetry, but the market for writing careers is fairly saturated. Even then, if I don't feel anything about what i'm told to write about, I can't really write anything. What i've been looking into recently is cosmetology or message therapy. Issue there is cosmetology isn't a decent income on average, and also going into that as a straight guy, I think may or may not affect clientele. Same thing with being a masseur; the income varies and the market is rather harsh to male therapists. Namely, little clientele, and an increased risk of people claiming false sexual harassment suits.

All in all, I'd just say that life has an odd way of making things come together, one way or another. Sure, we may not be married or all that impressive, but who are we trying to impress? Other people? What good would that do? If you are running in a race, you shouldn't focus on the guy ahead of you. You should focus on your own movements; maintain proper form and breathing technique. Don't look to beat this other guy, but rather beat yourself. If you ran the course in 9 minutes and 18 seconds before, aim to beat that.

Have faith and hold on to hope. We'll find where we need to be someday. We can only get closer and closer with each passing day, no matter how long or hopeless they may seem. I wish you luck, in either finding a career in writing, or in launching your online business.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,788
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

14 hours ago, ambc said:

To live in The Light as God 'IS' in The Light is to escape error of wrong thinking... the transformation of mind by renewing it to God's Words of Truth and reveals the reality of 'IS' which becomes the lightness of everlasting joy no matter the lies that come against it here! The heart that has been set free to dispense the Love of God to others has the everlasting peace of God within it...

Edited by enoob57
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

A helpful way to remove the dis from encourage is to be grateful and thankful, “Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18). I am not talking about denial or whipping up emotions, but when you begin to list what you are thankful for your mind and feelings become preoccupied and you begin to see things that encourage you, example: instead of focusing on the pain of a heartbreak or dysfunctional relationship or issue at work, you focus on where God has blessed you with joys and find something to be thankful for, if even it is only Jesus Christ’s sacrifice and God’s love for you. 

There is power in remembering. To remember what God has done in your life and how He has loved you. 

Hope this helps. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

2Co 10:12  AMP Not that we [have the audacity to] venture to class or [even to] compare ourselves with some who exalt and furnish testimonials for themselves! However, when they measure themselves with themselves and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding and behave unwisely.

Gal 6:4  But let every person carefully scrutinize and examine and test his own conduct and his own work. He can then have the personal satisfaction and joy of doing something commendable [in itself alone] without [resorting to] boastful comparison with his neighbor.

I can't find the exact verse that I remember.  But the idea is that we should not compare ourselves with others.  They may have a different calling and different gifts.  So we should not measure ourselves against other people. It is what you do with our own abilities and gifts that counts.  

Mat 25:14  AMP  For it is like a man who was about to take a long journey, and he called his servants together and entrusted them with his property.  Mat 25:15  To one he gave five talents [probably about $5,000], to another two, to another one—to each in proportion to his own personal ability. Then he departed and left the country.

Mat 25:16  He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he gained five talents more.  Mat 25:17  And likewise he who had received the two talents—he also gained two talents more. Mat 25:18  But he who had received the one talent went and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.

Mat 25:19  Now after a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.

Mat 25:20  And he who had received the five talents came and brought him five more, saying, Master, you entrusted to me five talents; see, here I have gained five talents more. Mat 25:21  His master said to him, Well done, you upright (honorable, admirable) and faithful servant! You have been faithful and trustworthy over a little; I will put you in charge of much. Enter into and share the joy (the delight, the blessedness) which your master enjoys. 

Mat 25:22  And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, Master, you entrusted two talents to me; here I have gained two talents more. Mat 25:23  His master said to him, Well done, you upright (honorable, admirable) and faithful servant! You have been faithful and trustworthy over a little; I will put you in charge of much. Enter into and share the joy (the delight, the blessedness) which your master enjoys.

Mat 25:24  He who had received one talent also came forward, saying, Master, I knew you to be a harsh and hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you had not winnowed [the grain]. Mat 25:25  So I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is your own.

Mat 25:26  But his master answered him, You wicked and lazy and idle servant! Did you indeed know that I reap where I have not sowed and gather [grain] where I have not winnowed? Mat 25:27  Then you should have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received what was my own with interest.

Mat 25:28  So take the talent away from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. Mat 25:29  For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will be furnished richly so that he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have will be taken away.

Pray and ask God how you may glorify Him with the gifts and talents God has given you.  Ask Him to show you how you can make a living and do this.  You might have to take a job in something that will simply pay the bills and use your gifts as a hobby.  There is a shortage of skilled labor, if you are willing to become a welder or a carpenter, or another trade.  I had a tough time finding someone to paint my house last fall.  Try looking into jobs for which there is a demand, and see if your can be trained as an apprentice.  That may be working for UPS! It only requires a willingness to work hard.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

On 7/22/2018 at 2:52 PM, ambc said:

I completely understand where you are. At the age of 30 all I had to show for myself was a failed marriage, a miscarriage, bankruptcy and I was unemployed. I didn't even have a strong Christian walk to fall back on as for most of my 20s I had stopped going to church, praying and reading my bible. But I had recently started all three and that is what I held on to. That I believe is  all we can do during those times of deep painful depression. Pray, cry out to the Lord, and immerse yourself in the Word. Get involved in your church, it doesn't matter what, don't overwhelm yourself but find something, no matter how small, to get involved in. If you feel comfortable with your pastor talk to them, they should always have time for those in need and will know if there is someone they can connect you with that has been through the specific discouragement you are going through. If you feel comfortable I would love to know your name and any details you are willing to share so that I can bring you before our Father who loves you. If not I will still keep you in my prayers.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Realizing Jesus' love towards me, that H created me to be His eternal companion to satisfy Him.  Whether through bible passages, sermons, hymns, worships, Him speaking comforting words to me directly, or talking with brothers and sisters, I've been encouraged by them all at different times during difficulties.  

I'm a hard-to-please person. I often refer myself as the "modern Job."  But Jesus has His ways and prepares people to comfort and encourage me.