Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

For the last eighty years, Hollywood has churned our Biblical Epics and films that have opened the hearts of the lost and the imaginations of the saints. These films have been as massive as Cecile B. DeMille”s The Ten Commandments and Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ to the private budget films like “God’s Not Dead,” and “War Room.” 

Christian cinema has changed our culture, by giving the world a moving picture, living paintings and these canvases made of pixels, directors,  actors, actressses, screen plays, props and more have been able to get the Bible, the Gospel and Judeo-Christian concepts to an audience that never would attend a church or go to art gallery. 

Biblical movies have opened the Bible to us in ways that reading Scripture couldn’t. Much like the stain glass of the Middle Ages and the paintings through the ages, movies give us a visual education of the faith. 

While certainly there is much to criticize in adaptions if the Bible, you may vent those in this new section. Let us remember that while we should confront errors in film with the scripture (2 Timothy 3:16) we should also be open to the postives of how films can help us see what we read and appreciate those gems of insight that unfold on the silver screens.

Scripture is gold, movies are silver and in some cases bronze. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• 2 months later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I agree with you Fidei. A few yrs ago something was on TV that had to do with a live performance in NYC of certain parts of the Gospels. After the show some young people (15 - 30 age range) were interviewed and I was shocked to hear them say they never heard of Jesus or His life and Gospel.

Even shows liked "Touched By An Angel" help because they always tell at least 1 person that "God loves you".

I always knew of God. I remember asking my father questions about God when I was 5. So yes it's terrible that we're letting kids grow up without hearing of God, Jesus and what they did 2000 yrs ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

My sister in law rededicated her life to the Lord after watching Jesus Christ Superstar, which only shows that God can use anything to accomplish His purpose.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,191
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 7/24/2018 at 5:00 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

For the last eighty years, Hollywood has churned our Biblical Epics and films that have opened the hearts of the lost and the imaginations of the saints. These films have been as massive as Cecile B. DeMille”s The Ten Commandments and Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ to the private budget films like “God’s Not Dead,” and “War Room.” 

Christian cinema has changed our culture, by giving the world a moving picture, living paintings and these canvases made of pixels, directors,  actors, actressses, screen plays, props and more have been able to get the Bible, the Gospel and Judeo-Christian concepts to an audience that never would attend a church or go to art gallery. 

Biblical movies have opened the Bible to us in ways that reading Scripture couldn’t. Much like the stain glass of the Middle Ages and the paintings through the ages, movies give us a visual education of the faith. 

While certainly there is much to criticize in adaptions if the Bible, you may vent those in this new section. Let us remember that while we should confront errors in film with the scripture (2 Timothy 3:16) we should also be open to the postives of how films can help us see what we read and appreciate those gems of insight that unfold on the silver screens.

Scripture is gold, movies are silver and in some cases bronze. 

In the midst of your worship of Hollywood you forget one primary principle of movie making.   Not for nothing is it called Show Bu$iness.  

The purpose of making movies is to SELL TICKET$, not to convert sinners or inspire saints.

The purpose of the Bible epics of the 1950's was to get people to come into the theater and not stay at home watching TV for free.  The Bible stories did absolutely nothing to promote repentance, without which no one can be saved, nor did they promote moral Godly living.   They were entertainment - nothing less and nothing more.

Nothing is more educational to one's faith than the enduring Word of God - stained glass and movies notwithstanding.

Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the light."  John 14:6  

The way to God is via Jesus, not Hollywood boulevard and the walk of fame.

Scripture is indeed gold.  It lasts forever.   Movies are cheap celluloid.   The material is easily combustable and lasts only a few years until it crumbles away.  The themes that entertain populations aren't anywhere close to being silver or bronze.   They are closer to bovine excrement than precious metal.

Upon what do you base your reality?  Comic books and flickering images in a dark room?

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain fell, the torrents raged, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because its foundation was on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain fell, the torrents raged, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell—and great was its collapse!” - Matthew 7: 24-27

In case you weren't aware, Hollywood is built in the vicinity of a major earthquake fault.  One shiver of the earth and the whole house of cards will come tumbling down.  The Word of God is permanent and cannot be shaken by anything - including stale popcorn.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft.... 

Edited by choir loft

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 10/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, Willa said:

My sister in law rededicated her life to the Lord after watching Jesus Christ Superstar, which only shows that God can use anything to accomplish His purpose.

Wow, I'm sorry Willa. Somehow I posted an Oy Vey on this. My mom also bought this album for me, and though musically I didn't care for it, I did start to think about Jesus. Perhaps it was because in the movie production, the homosexual community cheered at Judas kissing Christ during the betrayal scene.

Then in his overwrought feelings and Judas hung himself, I believe they rose him up in the air as if almost like a resurrection type of thing, and the choir was singing, "Good bye, Judas - Poor, poor, Judas." It was clearly on the record. I remember it thinking it was weird. And right after the death of Jesus, that was the end of the film. 

And Jesus was portrayed as a mere man with an almost lunacy about His persona. There were so many doctrinally things wrong with it, but it that worked for you sister in-law, then it's positive. Again, my apologies for that. I just now removed the Oy Vey at seeing the topic again. That seemed harsh of me. I didn't mean it to be. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Lol, I would say that about the movie as well.  I never saw the whole thing--turned it off in disgust.  It was afterward that I was amazed that God could use it in my Sis in law's life but was grateful.   Sometimes I believe He closes our ears to that which is false and opens them to the things we need to hear.  He did that for me when I was in various denominations and may be doing it now, for all I know.  It is the Holy Spirit wh0 teaches us, after all.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1974

I tend to get very annoyed with Christian films, as they are so often theoretically unsound. However, I also have to agree with Paul in Phil 1:15-18 "It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

Today i tried to watch "Killing Jesus", the movie based on the Book of said name,  by Bill O'Reilly.

Sadly, i had to turn it off, less then 15 mins in....

I say "sadly" because its a beautifully shot movie, and it has some "A" list actors in it..

So, where did it go wrong for me?    Well, it wasn't the scene where John is Baptizing The Christ and says...>"come let the water give you the new birth".....as that was not unexpected, as Bill O'Reilly is a devout Catholic, and Devout Catholic Theology claims that water baptism is the "agent of regeneration" based on their particular heretical bible that says in John 3... Jesus Speaking, that you "must be born again OF WATER".

Here is the actual verse and notice the heresy.... "[5] Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water .

So, do you see that mess?   "born again.......of water"..      "of water".... = BY THE WATER, you are BORN AGAIN.  =  The Power of the New Birth, is found in the WATER......

Read it again......and notice...it does not say...born of water......its says, ...""BORN AGAIN, OF WATER""..... as that is the Catholic Doctrine of "regeneration BY Water", or being born again BY THE WATER, not by the BLOOD.

And we know, you are not.   We KNOW, you are born again by the SPIRIT OF GOD BASED ON THE BLOOD OF JESUS BEING THE ATONEMENT..   

So, i let that one SCENE pass, because i knew it was coming......but then, NEXT,  the wheels totally came off this movie's theology...

In the same Scene where Jesus is dunked, John is having to try to convince Jesus that He is JESUS, the Messiah, that He was born for the Cross, etc..

And in this scene Jesus is mostly looking dumb and confused and uncertain, and is totally LOST and does not realize His own Deity..  

Now, it could be that the scene writers were going to send Jesus into the wilderness next,  and at some point during the 40 days of fasting, Jesus would get the revelation.   However, He certainly would have had it before this, as He came up out of the water and God spoke and He was the reason why.. according to a REAL BIBLE.

And then, if you really want to see how ridiculous this is, how Theologically misfit this is related to the TRUTH....... to have Jesus as a grown Man, entering His Ministry, and not knowing He's God Incarnate......Just consider the scripture that tell us that when Jesus was 12 yrs old, He was in the Temple opening/explaining the scriptures for the Jewish Rabbi, and in fact told his mother....."Did you not Know i would be in my FATHER'S House"?  Luke 2:49.

Yet in this movie , 20 yrs after that, Jesus is bewildered about His Identity and Purpose.  = Yikes.

So, at this point i used my Blu Ray Player's remote to eject the Disc, and i then put this disc in the Trash can i have in my Kitchen, as that is the very best home i can give it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2020 at 3:20 PM, Behold said:

Today i tried to watch "Killing Jesus", the movie based on the Book of said name,  by Bill O'Reilly.

Sadly, i had to turn it off, less then 15 mins in....

I wish people making these films would not insert denominational bias into them.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

16 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I wish people making these films would not insert denominational bias into them.

It just ruins it.

And they just can't keep themselves from reinventing the words in the NT.

Have you ever seen "The Greatest Story Ever Told"?   Story of Jesus.

That's a weird flick, and because its the worst "Gospel Story" movie of all time, its the one they are going to Play whenever Easter comes again.

Ben-Hur is an example of a sort of Miracle, as the main Screenwriters included one unsaved Jew and Gore Vidal who was a devout homosexual and bitter atheist.

YET, all the "Jesus Scenes"  in Ben Hur are among the best ever created...and they stayed very true to the Scriptures.... . which might be explained by the fact that Charlton Heston was a true believer and would not let them twist the bible on the screen.

Edited by Behold
  • Thumbs Up 1