• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Been a while since posting a topic, but does anyone buy them from the store or get an expensive one from a dentist?

I had one that was great for a year or two (long past when I was supposed to stop).

Used the backup one, heated it up in boiling water & fitted it- and it ended up causing more pain w/the bottom teeth due to it not fitting ideally.

Tried another brand, but it went even worse. Yesterday was really bad pain for the front teeth (adding to the chronic pain of the palate).  Had 4 hours of sleep and a bad nightmare from the pain that night.

Last night went back to the older one since it's less pain, but-

Curious if no bite guard or the expensive dentist one is best now. Well no bite guard can mean grinding away what enamel is left and TMJ, but maybe not for a while.

Thanks!

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,015
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,277
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I think you should be careful as you don't want the nite guard to shift your jaws or teeth in a wrong way.  Since it is causing you pain, something is wrong.  Best to talk to your dentist.

Also, is there a reason you grind your teeth?  Could you be having a problem with stress?  If you can alleviate the stress, perhaps no nite guard would be needed?    Just some thoughts...if it was me, I'd seek to lessen any stress and go without the nite guard.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I'd go with the dentist, but not just any dentist. This might seem common sense, but one should always shop around for the best deal. When it comes to dental practice, there doesn't seem to be an average charging rate so much as mere practitioner's whim; in other words, prices vary widely from dentist to dentist. As an example, I needed an infected tooth removed once. I went to the clinic in town and they were wanting to charge $2000 to have it removed, and that was even without being put under. In a smaller dental practice about a 30 minute drive away, the one I went with, they would only charge me $300 without being put under. You could find a relatively cheap biteguard at the right clinic.

Edited by dr3032
  • Brilliant! 1

• 1 month later...

On 7/27/2018 at 1:55 AM, Debp said:

I think you should be careful as you don't want the nite guard to shift your jaws or teeth in a wrong way.  Since it is causing you pain, something is wrong.  Best to talk to your dentist.

Also, is there a reason you grind your teeth?  Could you be having a problem with stress?  If you can alleviate the stress, perhaps no nite guard would be needed?    Just some thoughts...if it was me, I'd seek to lessen any stress and go without the nite guard.

Thanks for the reply. Should've checked here sooner.

Pain's been ongoing, so it may be shifting teeth. No jaw pain thankfully.

The dentist naturally wants me to buy the expensive dentist-made one. Which I agree with, except for the cost.

I grind my teeth due to chronic nerve pain in the palate that's been going on six years. Two years of head pain before that.

If God allows me the funds to get acupuncture, insurance, or something I guess the pain/stress could end if it's possible.

Thanks for the response.

• Loved it! 1

On 7/27/2018 at 7:23 AM, dr3032 said:

I'd go with the dentist, but not just any dentist. This might seem common sense, but one should always shop around for the best deal. When it comes to dental practice, there doesn't seem to be an average charging rate so much as mere practitioner's whim; in other words, prices vary widely from dentist to dentist. As an example, I needed an infected tooth removed once. I went to the clinic in town and they were wanting to charge $2000 to have it removed, and that was even without being put under. In a smaller dental practice about a 30 minute drive away, the one I went with, they would only charge me $300 without being put under. You could find a relatively cheap biteguard at the right clinic.

Thanks for the reply. I wish I had better insurance, but pay for DeltaCare through my own pocket since 'work' doesn't offer insurance.

Maybe God will allow a miracle to happen though, since I haven't found another dentist I can reach (no car) & is affordable.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,015
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,277
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

5 hours ago, jeffnevins said:

Thanks for the reply. I wish I had better insurance, but pay for DeltaCare through my own pocket since 'work' doesn't offer insurance.

Maybe God will allow a miracle to happen though, since I haven't found another dentist I can reach (no car) & is affordable.

Do you have any dental medical school (at a university) near you?   I've heard they take patients at a reduced cost.   The dental doctor students do the work but under supervision of a professor (dentist).  I heard my dental office referring someone to a university dental school since they couldn't pay regular prices.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

4 hours ago, Debp said:

Do you have any dental medical school (at a university) near you?   I've heard they take patients at a reduced cost.   The dental doctor students do the work but under supervision of a professor (dentist).  I heard my dental office referring someone to a university dental school since they couldn't pay regular prices.

No, but that was handy back in '96-'02 when I did, thanks. Maybe God will allow an income change (still working) sometime.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

Sounds like a horrid problem, bless you.

Corsidyl mouth wash or however you spell it is very good to mitigate any damage made it the night.

Harvest some lavendar heads from your local park and put them in a sock under your pillow. Lavendar is calming and will give you restful sleep.

I pray that the spiritual root of the problem is healed so that you have a perfect night and perfect teeth.

Shalom ?