IGNORED

Is using technology in evangelism a violation of our Christian doctrine? (Matthew 28: 16 - 20)

miriam40012

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello everyone,

So, I was just wondering since Jesus told us not to bring anything when we preach the gospel in Luke 9:3, then how does that view fit into our modern society? We have Bible apps now and faith-based mobile games like Blue Letter Bible, OnePassion Ministries, Play The Bible, GLOW: Guardian Light Of the World, Reborn Crosswords and others. How do we know what the red line is? Or whether we crossed it unknowingly? Or does the red line even exist? The reason why I'm asking these questions is because some churches are using Christian apps to do evangelism and I'm not saying that it's wrong, because I don't see anything wrong with it, I'm just confuse since I'm only a baby Christian and I don't feel that it is in line with what the Lord Jesus said. 

But if I have a wrong notion about this stuff, then by all means please correct my thinking. I hope to see your opinions on the matter. Thanks!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

You would probably not know the first thing about God's word, were it not for the "technology" of first, the pen, then the printing press, then the radio, then television, then the computer.... etc.

As with so many other self-imposed "taboos", have we created a "red-line" in our imaginations?

Edited by Willie T

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

27 minutes ago, miriam40012 said:

Hello everyone,

So, I was just wondering since Jesus told us not to bring anything when we preach the gospel in Luke 9:3, then how does that view fit into our modern society? We have Bible apps now and faith-based mobile games like Blue Letter Bible, OnePassion Ministries, Play The Bible, GLOW: Guardian Light Of the World, Reborn Crosswords and others. How do we know what the red line is? Or whether we crossed it unknowingly? Or does the red line even exist? The reason why I'm asking these questions is because some churches are using Christian apps to do evangelism and I'm not saying that it's wrong, because I don't see anything wrong with it, I'm just confuse since I'm only a baby Christian and I don't feel that it is in line with what the Lord Jesus said. 

But if I have a wrong notion about this stuff, then by all means please correct my thinking. I hope to see your opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Read the verse Luke 9:3 in context.. and you will see that Jesus was talking to His disciples while sending them out for that particular mission...  He was not making it a permanent teaching to all His followers down through time.. Also at that time there was no New Testament in written form so they could not take any NT with them.. But Jesus gave them the Holy Spirit which inspired them in their preaching..

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

Technology; the science of the application of knowledge to practical purposes.

Face to face to me is best. But the word is the word, and verbal, printed, or emailed, it will not return void. I got saved listening to the word with my ears from a believer. Seed planted. I then read from a bible, that was printed in a factory. Watered. Listened to Christian radio, made in a factory. More watered. Holy Ghost sealed.
 God is light, and we should shine His light wherever there is darkness, whenever, however, wherever, to whomsoever.

• Loved it! 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Willie T said:

You would probably not know the first thing about God's word, were it not for the "technology" of first, the pen, then the printing press, then the radio, then television, then the computer.... etc.

As with so many other self-imposed "taboos", have we created a "red-line" in our imaginations?

Well, I just checked an it says nothing about television. Now I'll go look to see if it just says TV.

But to a more important question, Should Christians allow their Christian friends to drive Fords?:)

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

Sorry, I think this may have been a serious question so I should respond seriously. The phrase, when taken in context, is akin to saying, when you go on this journey, don't bring what you need to survive. i.e. go on a trip, but don't go out like you're going on a trip. And let those you meet meet your needs.

It's not about bibles or that sort of thing.

So often we can get hung up on specific words and ignore the spirit of what is actually being said. For me, it was all made simple when I realized the answer to the question, "did the rooster crow once, or did it crow twice?"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

5 hours ago, miriam40012 said:

Hello everyone,

Paul traveled on ships to spread the gospel. He used the technology of his day to spread the gospel. 

The bible is written down and the written word was used back during new testament times too in order to spread the gospel. That was the technology of that time period. 

We are not told to go techless when spreading the gospel. We are told to make disciples of all nations. The tech we use doesnt matter.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

No. The Apostle Paul used the latest tech of his day (letters) and most universal formate: Greek. Our Lord and God Jesus eve said we would do greater things, “Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.” (John 14:12). Part of the greater is this, Pail could circulate his letters to major cities in Greece, Judea, Samaria, Rome, and Arabia; but they would take weeks and months to arrive. Now with a click of a button we can circulate those same letters, The Gospel, and all Christian teaching to the whole world, billions of people, at once in a second! This is one o the greater things. Apple Bible App translated the Bible in 99% languages using their software, this had brought my us almost to fulfillment of this scripture, “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14).