• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Those who argue for an early date (pre-70AD) for the book of Revelation argue that Nero was the Antichrist.   Here is why that is simply not possible.

"And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:"
(2Th 2:8)

When does this passage say the Antichrist will be destroyed?   At the Lord's coming.  Now, Preterists claim that the Lord's coming happened in 70 AD at the destruction of the Temple.   So when did Nero die?   Nero died in 68 AD.   How does Paul say the Antichrist would die?  The Lord will destroy him.  How did Nero die? He committed suicide.  So, that on its own precludes Nero from being the Antichrist.

Daniel 9:27 tells us that the Antichrist will confirm a 7-year peace treaty with Israel.  Nero never did that.  

The Antichrist according to II Thess. 2:4 is supposed to take his seat in the Temple of God in Jerusalem. Nero was never even in Jerusalem.

That is so scary stuff Shiloh .   I think I have heard a wee bit on that .   I remember a few talking about HOW NERO was the anti Christ .     DO you know the FIRST THOUGHT that popped in my head when I heard thtat .    YOU QUOATED IT ,  SECOND THESS chapter EIGHT.   ANTI CHRIST is not in the past ,   STILL in the future .  Cause ,  Last time I checked

JESUS has NOT RETURNED to DESTROY HIM YET and cast the beast and false prophet into a lake of fire .    I mean IF JESUS done did that ,  WHO ON EARTH IS DOING ALL THIS EVIL NOW .

And where on earth has their been a thousand year period WHEN satan was bound and at the same TIME the false prophet and beast are in the lake of fire .

SO WHO on earth has been doing all this deceiving .    Folks get deceived way too easy  .    WE better cling TO JESUS and learn FROM HIM .

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

9 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Those who argue for an early date (pre-70AD) for the book of Revelation argue that Nero was the Antichrist.   Here is why that is simply not possible.

"And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:"
(2Th 2:8)

When does this passage say the Antichrist will be destroyed?   At the Lord's coming.  Now, Preterists claim that the Lord's coming happened in 70 AD at the destruction of the Temple.   So when did Nero die?   Nero died in 68 AD.   How does Paul say the Antichrist would die?  The Lord will destroy him.  How did Nero die? He committed suicide.  So, that on its own precludes Nero from being the Antichrist.

Daniel 9:27 tells us that the Antichrist will confirm a 7-year peace treaty with Israel.  Nero never did that.  

The Antichrist according to II Thess. 2:4 is supposed to take his seat in the Temple of God in Jerusalem. Nero was never even in Jerusalem.

The mystery of inquity is at work , has been .   Their is another key thing .    The angel specifically says their will be TEN KING who rule one hour with the beast .   They will give their kingdom unto the beast .   it talks about a FALSE prophet ,  beast , and the dragon .  TELLS us the dragon is satan .  tellus satan hands power and authority unto the beast .

BUT THE REAL KICKER is ,  THAT WHEN JESUS returns .    Satan is bound in a pit , WHERE he has a seal set upon him THAT HE cannot deceive the NATIONS .

At the same time of JESUS return ,   the false prophet and beast are cast alive into a lake of fire .   FROM when THEY NEVER GET OUT and satan after his short release

JOINS THEM .     SO WHO ON EARTH has been doing all this deceiving for hundreds and hundreds of years .  THEIR has never been a time , WHEN DECEPTOIN was not IN the world and nations .      That kicks pre whatever its called , smack out the door .    folks believe some things WAY TOO easy .   

Guest shiloh357
5 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

The mystery of inquity is at work , has been .   Their is another key thing .    The angel specifically says their will be TEN KING who rule one hour with the beast .   They will give their kingdom unto the beast .   it talks about a FALSE prophet ,  beast , and the dragon .  TELLS us the dragon is satan .  tellus satan hands power and authority unto the beast .

BUT THE REAL KICKER is ,  THAT WHEN JESUS returns .    Satan is bound in a pit , WHERE he has a seal set upon him THAT HE cannot deceive the NATIONS .

At the same time of JESUS return ,   the false prophet and beast are cast alive into a lake of fire .   FROM when THEY NEVER GET OUT and satan after his short release

JOINS THEM .     SO WHO ON EARTH has been doing all this deceiving for hundreds and hundreds of years .  THEIR has never been a time , WHEN DECEPTOIN was not IN the world and nations .      That kicks pre whatever its called , smack out the door .    folks believe some things WAY TOO easy .   

Preterists allegorize all of that.  The thing to focus on is when Revelation was written.

The lynch pin for them is the date of Revelation.   If Revelation was written in 95 AD as most good scholars assert and as the historical evidence supports, then Preterism is a dead stick.  There is simply nothing left for them to say, as their entire system collapses to dust. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Sorry, but the historical sources quoted above pretty much put Gentry's ideas to bed.   Not only that, but Thomas Ice refuted Gentry's take on Zechariah 14 and Luke 21 as you can also see in a post above.

As I said, read the book.  Have you read the book?

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, Willie T said:

As I said, read the book.  Have you read the book?

No, I have not and I will not.  I have read a lot of Preterist material, and it is not compelling at all.  It is all about allegorizing biblical prophesy and that brings about false doctrine.  It is also an improper use of allegory.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1

An honest reply.  That's hopeful.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Well Shiloh some very interesting things you've put down on the subject. I'm not a believer in preterism or even partially although I do tend to think the passage of scripture of Israel being surrounded by armies did reflect the 70 A.D take down of Jerusalem. But to me there's too many problems with preterism claiming all the cataclysms and events of Revelation could have possibly occurred in about 70 A.D. Let me ask you something though....what if any did the early Christians let's say after 100 A.D to about 400 A.D. say about the book Revelation?

Guest shiloh357
37 minutes ago, Rockson said:

Well Shiloh some very interesting things you've put down on the subject. I'm not a believer in preterism or even partially although I do tend to think the passage of scripture of Israel being surrounded by armies did reflect the 70 A.D take down of Jerusalem. But to me there's too many problems with preterism claiming all the cataclysms and events of Revelation could have possibly occurred in about 70 A.D. Let me ask you something though....what if any did the early Christians let's say after 100 A.D to about 400 A.D. say about the book Revelation?

Here is what I posted earlier in the thread: 

Look at what Irenaeus said: "In a still clearer light has John, in the Apocalypse, indicated to the Lord’s disciples what shall happen in the last times, and concerning the ten kings who shall then arise, among whom the empire which now rules [the earth] shall be partitioned. He teaches us what the ten horns shall be which were seen by Daniel, telling us that thus it had been said to him: “And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, who have received no kingdom as yet, but shall receive power as if kings one hour with the beast. These have one mind, and give their strength and power to the beast. These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them, because He is the Lord of lords and the King of kings.” (Rev_17:12, etc.) It is manifest, therefore, that of these [potentates], he who is to come shall slay three, and subject the remainder to his power, and that he shall be himself the eighth among them. And they shall lay Babylon waste, and burn her with fire, and shall give their kingdom to the beast, and put the Church to flight. After that they shall be destroyed by the coming of our Lord." (Against Heresies, Book 5:26)

Irenaeus was from Smyrna, which was where one of the copies of Revelation was originally sent to (120-202), and was a disciple of Polycarp who was a disciple of John.   Irenaeus did not believe that the Antichrist had come as can be seen above from his own writings.

He also says, "“We will not, however, incur the risk of pronouncing positively as to the name of Antichrist; for if it were necessary that his name should be distinctly revealed in this present time, it would have been announced by him [the apostle John] who beheld the apocalyptic vision. For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, towards the end of Domitian’s reign" (Book 5:30)

That's interesting because Domitian reign began in 81 AD and he was assassinated in 96 AD. So near the end of his reign would place the book of Revelation around the mid 90s like around 94-95 AD, well after the destruction of the Temple.  

But, it's not just Irenaeus.   Jerome states that John was exiled to Patmos under Domitian.   Church historian Eusebius dates Revelation to the reign of Domitian.  Clement who was a contemporary with Irenaeus states that John was exiled on Patmos under Domitian and 

So there is ample historical evidence for the book of Revelation being written during the time period of the reign of Domitian in the mid 90s AD.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

I've never met a preterist. Is this becoming a common or even large minority belief among people claiming to be Christian?

Guest shiloh357
10 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I've never met a preterist. Is this becoming a common or even large minority belief among people claiming to be Christian?

It is actually quite popular and is in various denominations.