Alan Hales

Did Jesus go to Hell

Did Jesus go to Hell, "Hades" according to Acts 2: 27--31,

11 minutes ago, Alan Hales said:

Did Jesus go to Hell, "Hades" according to Acts 2: 27--31,

No, Jesus did not go to Hell.  The word used refers to the grave, not the infernal Hell that most people think of, when they think of Hell.

• This is Worthy 1

The Greek word for, "Hell, in Acts 2: 27 & 31, Is, "Hades", whereas the Greek word for the "Grave", Is "Mnemeion" Two different Greek words, Two different places. Hell, As in "Hades", Acts 2: 27, & v31. Is the same Greek word foe "Hell", "Hades" in Lk 16:  23--25. 

Strongs Concordance:

G86

ᾅδης
hadēs
hah'-dace
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492; properly unseen, that is, Hades or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.
Total KJV occurrences: 11

Act 2:27
(27)  Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

From David's Psalm 16:10 which is being quoted in Acts, we do not have a case for Jesus going to the place of the damned which is a now common understanding of the word hell.

From John Wesley Notes:

Acts 2:27
Thou wilt not leave my soul in hades - The invisible world. But it does not appear, that ever our Lord went into hell. His soul, when it was separated from the body, did not go thither, but to paradise, Luk_23:43. The meaning is, Thou wilt not leave my soul in its separate state, nor suffer my body to be corrupted.

6 minutes ago, Alan Hales said:

The Greek word for, "Hell, in Acts 2: 27 & 31, Is, "Hades", whereas the Greek word for the "Grave", Is "Mnemeion" Two different Greek words, Two different places. Hell, As in "Hades", Acts 2: 27, & v31. Is the same Greek word foe "Hell", "Hades" in Lk 16:  23--25. 

It is a quotation from the OT that uses the word "sheol" and refers to the grave, not Hell.

Why would Jesus go to Hell?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alan Hales said:

Shalom, Alan Hales.

Actually "Mnemeion" ["mnemonic"], which comes from "mousikos" ["music"], is talking about a MEMORIAL to a person, a place that is raised in MEMORY to a person. "Hadees," actually pronounced "ha-DACE," is talking about the grave or tomb. The word literally means the "Unseen," like we use the word the "Unknown" today. We also use the phrase, "Out of sight, out of mind."

The word "Hell," which comes from Norse mythology, was an unfortunate translation for today's thinking. What we mean when we say "Hell" today is what John called "The Lake of Fire and Brimstone [Sulfur]" or "The Lake of Burning Sulfur!" Burning sulfur melts and gives off a dark, blue flame which is hard to see in normal light. When it is burning in a darkened room, however, you can easily see the flame. The Beast and the False Prophet are the first to go there in Revelation 19:20. HaSatan follows after the Rebellion he instigates after the Millennium in Revelation 20:7-10. People aren't assigned to the Lake of Fire until AFTER the Great White Throne Judgment found in Revelation 20:11-15.

And, shiloh357 is right. Acts 2:27 and 31 ARE quotes from the OT passage found in Psalm 16:8-11, which uses the Hebrew word "lish'owl," meaning "to sh'owl,"often written "sheol," referring to the grave. Those who believe that we go SOMEWHERE after we die, will say that the lost go to a compartment in the center of the earth to await final judgment, and they say that this is the "hell" of Luke 16.

I don't believe that because I've accepted the truth that we ARE our bodies! When we die, we CEASE being AIR-BREATHERS ("SOULS"), and we go to the grave as dead bodies that await the RESURRECTION to come at our Lord's return. Those who are lost will likewise go to the grave as dead bodies after they die and await the FINAL Resurrection for the Great White Trone Judgment, when they will be tried, sentenced, and assigned to the Lake of Fire. What the rich man experiences is waking up IMMEDIATELY for the FINAL Judgment and is already assigned his part in "these flames." Waking up after being "asleep" for so long, he makes the common mistake of thinking he still has brothers back home. (They were probably close by awaiting THEIR turn at judgment, or they had already been thrown into the fire ahead of him, if they will not be found in Avraham's haven.)

By the way, the word "corruption" in the sentence, "neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption," means "DECAY." David was saying, "...nor will you allow your Holy One to see decay!" How can that be if the Holy One isn't something that could decay? Remember what was said about Lazarus at his tomb?

John 11:39 (KJV)

39 Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

She was talking about him beginning to decay! This is why we read that Yeshua` (Jesus) rose again "on the THIRD day," BEFORE He could begin to decay!

Edited by Retrobyter
to add a thought

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

... I've accepted the truth that we ARE our bodies! When we die, we CEASE being AIR-BREATHERS ("SOULS"), and we go to the grave as dead bodies that await the RESURRECTION to come at our Lord's return.

And what sayest thee of these Scriptures?

Luk 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.                                                

Psa 31:5 Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth. 

Edited by Michael37
spacing

3 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It is a quotation from the OT that uses the word "sheol" and refers to the grave, not Hell.

Why would Jesus go to Hell?

The Hebrew word for Hell, Is, "Sheol", and the Hebrew word for the, Grave, Is, "qeber". Hades, is nowhere mentioned as the grave.

3 minutes ago, Alan Hales said:

The Hebrew word for Hell, Is, "Sheol", and the Hebrew word for the, Grave, Is, "qeber". Hades, is nowhere mentioned as the grave.

Wrong.  qeburah refers to sepulchers or tombs.

Sheol is the word for grave.

Peter was quoting from a OT passage that used sheol and refers to the grave.

Jesus did NOT go to Hell. If you say otherwise, you are promoting false teaching.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell has not been established yet .

God never intended it to be a place for humans , but intended it for Satan and his angels . 

When it is established Satan will be the first one there with his angels , and then all those who have rejected the salvation of this Jesus who is the Christ .

There is currently a place of impending doom & darkness  , where those who eventually will be in hell occupy