IGNORED

Parasha "V'Et'Chanan (and I pleaded...for mercy)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

PARASHAH; “V’et’ Chanan” (and I pleaded)  

DEUT 3:23-7:11……………ISAIAH 40:1-26………………JOHN 6:1-71 

Moshe continues to retell the experiences of his life to “Am Israel” as the end of his life is nearing, He is like a father on his deathbed, and causes all of his children to come near and listen to their father’s experiences, or rather “all” of their experiences

“V’et ‘Chanan l’Adonai” begins Moshe, “I pleaded to YHVH…” on the account of entering into the promised land.  As we remember, Moshe in anger and had struck the “Rock” (Selah) and yet, water still came forth because of the mercy of Adonai, yet now Moshe pleads for mercy, the word “chanun” is a form of the Hebrew “mercy”. One Israeli singer has a song which is; “Avi Chanun” (My father who is merciful).  So, Moshe in a way is saying, “I plead for mercy to Adonai” let me see the promised land.

Yet the answer of Adonai was still “No” (Speak no more of this matter).  We are all destined an “x” amount of years on this earth, who knows if, through actions we do, might “speed up” that time, or even “prolong” the time.  King Hezekiah pleaded for more years of life, and he was granted the years, however, during those extra years, there was born to him “Manasseh” who proved to be one of the worst kings in Israel.  Should Hezekiah have asked for those extra years?

We should take advantage of the years that God is giving to us on this planet called “earth” and make the best of them.  If He has called us into ministry, let us perform that which He has called us to do to the best of our ability, doing it unto HIM who is the author of life, and when he calls for us, we will go, without complaining, or ask for “more years”

In this Parashah, we see the review of the Ten Commandments.  What are these all about? They formed the “Ketubah” the contract between Elohim and Israel.  They were given on Har Sinai, directly to the Israelites by HaShem himself, the rest of the 603 mitzvoth were given to Moshe who relayed them unto the people, still, they ALL came from Adonai. 

(4) “Now, therefore, harken O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments which I teach you, for to do them” Moshe was the teacher, taking all that the “Master” charged him to teach, and not “adding to” nor “diminishing” anything, teaching all the details, the “fine print” sort of to say.  Teachers of God’s Word, have a unique calling, it is their life, it is their passion, and they will not rest until they accomplish what they have set off to do.

I AM the LORD thy God: “Anochi Adonai Eloheicha” He is emphasizing “I AM” (I MYSELF AM) “Anochi” a very important statement, telling his people, that is was HE who brought them out of Egypt, and out of slavery.  Two very important things, therefore, He has every right to be their God, and He has every right to be OUR God, since He has taken us out of the “World of Sin” (Egypt) and out from “Spiritual slavery”

“THOU shall not have any other gods before me” since pagan worship was the norm of Egypt, worshiping and bowing down to false “elohim” this was a reminder to Israel that YHVH is different, He is NOT like the false deities of Egypt, He is UNIQUE (Yachid) and He is ONE (Echad).  But when people over-emphasize jobs and work, making money, sports, etc.… making them more important than our worship and attention towards Adonai, those “things” become “other gods” Yes, Adonai is a “Jealous” and “Zealous” God! (El Kanah) and has every right to be so.

“THOU SHALT NOT take the name of YHVH thy God in vain” What is that? It is using our LORD’s holy name in unholy ways, in unholy conversations, making promises using God’s name, like “I swear to God that I’ll…” and then, not fulfilling those promises.  We should use HIS HOLY NAME in worship and praise only.

“KEEP (guard) the Sabbath Day to keep it Holy” Where are we on the sabbath day? We should be in God’s House to worship, praise, and learn from his word through teachers of the Word.  It is a time of rest, and relaxation, a time for family to get together and worship the LORD, even for the house-wives, turn off the ovens and husbands, take them out to eat, or just whip up some sandwiches.

Enjoy the Sabbath day, it is the LORD’s to rejoice and relax in.   The Sabbath day has always been Saturday, it was never changed to Sunday (this will probably create some comments).  But EVERY day of the week is a time to study God’s Word and praise Him for all of his blessings.

“HONOR Thy Father and Thy Mother” this goes without explanation. I think it is common sense for children to honor and obey their parents, for they are the ones who raise them up. Yet the Fathers and Mothers have a GREAT responsibility, to raise them in the knowledge of God and his word.  If not, then, they will be responsible for possible “rebels” later one in life.

“THOU shalt not kill; THOU shalt not commit adultery; THOU shalt not steal”.  Ever wonder why these are listed together? Example, if one commits adultery, takes the wife of another in sex, that person is “killing” that relationship and is “stealing” what does not belong to him.  The word “Kill” means “murder” taking an innocent life, it does NOT refer to self-defense or soldiers fighting in a war.  There are many ways of “stealing” some rabbis say that “all sins” are a form of “stealing” not just taking money, coming back late from lunch break is “stealing” time from your employer, telling a lie is “stealing” the confidence one might have had in you, and it is “murdering” that trust.

“THOU shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor” being truthful to someone is very important, and not telling the whole truth, is in fact, telling a lie, and being false to someone who is close to you, again, it is “stealing trust” and “murdering a relationship” through being “false”.

‘THOU shalt not covet” If Adonai wants you to have what your neighbor has, He will give it to you.  We should be content with the much or the little we have, anyway, when we die, ALL will be left behind. So, no need to covet, it just brings about headaches.

(6) This chapter has the “Shema” one of the most important verses in the Torah; “Shema Israel, YHVH Eloheinu, YHVH Echad” “Shema” (Listen to and heed/do/obey) “Yisrael” we are part of HIS people, we have been adopted into HIS Chosen family through Yeshua HaMashiach, it pertains to ALL believers.  Adonai is OUR GOD, since we are FAMILY, and He is ONE in Unity (Father, Son, Spirit “Echad”

“You shall love…” (vs 5) Yes, with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength.  This includes “teaching” His word to our children, at all times, to others who have the ears and willingness to listen

Be the person in our house, Be the person “walking with us on the “way” at bedtime and at morning time, the time for God’s Word and teaching it is at ALL TIMES, provided of course that the other person wished to hear it.   God’s Word is to be shared and taught, NEVER to be forced upon another!

Binding upon the hands and frontlets between our eyes, using Tefillin are symbolic in that God’s Word is to be in our minds and put into action using our hands, in performing mitzvoth (good works)

Writing them and putting God’s Word on our doorposts and gates using “mezuzot” is symbolic to let people know that “living here is a family who honors God and His Word”

Moshe reminds the people again and again to “Keep the commandments of the LORD thy God and his testimonies and statutes” in many verses.  Just keep in mind that “keeping the commandments does not “save a soul” Salvation comes only from accepting Yeshua (Jesus) as LORD and Savior, that and that ONLY saves a person from eternal condemnation.  Obedience to the commandments comes “after” as a sign that we are now part of HIS family, and we now have new desires to follow HIM in HIS ways.  There is “Yeshuah Kadosh” (Righteous Salvation) and “Mitzvoth Kadoshim” (righteous works) both are separate yet both go together.  The later is a result of the first.

ISAIAH 40:1-26

The prophet comforts Israel that their sins have been forgiven, the punishment is over.   YHVH again is compared to a father who must punish his children for sins and disobedience.  The father will chastise, yet not forever.  Darkness has passed and the light has come.

“The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, prepare ye the way of YHVVH, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.”  Yochanan the Baptizer fulfilled these words.  AS we know, he prepared the way for Yeshua, his cousin and his LORD, preparing peoples’ hearts and minds

“He shall feed his flock like a shepherd, he shall gather the lambs with his arm and carry them in his bosom and shall gently lead those that are with young” (vs 11) Doesn’t this sound like our Savior and LORD? We are HIS flock and He feeds us with His WORD.  His word guides us and leads us all.

He has sent shepherds to teach his word and to guide us.  There are many “old sheep” and “young sheep” those that are young are young in the word, yet through the right guidance, the young will mature into older and wiser sheep. 

As a shepherd leads his sheep, allow us LORD to be led by YOUR Word, and by your shepherds who have been sent by You to lead, guide, and teach ALL of your people. Amen”  

JOHN 6:1-71 

This starts out “After these things…”  what things one might ask? In the previous chapter it talks about Yeshua going up to Yerushalayim after the feast of the Passover, and he healed a lame man at the pool of Siloam.  Yes, he was criticized by many, as even many of his believers and followers were and still “are” criticized, made fun of, and even murdered, all in HIS name.

“After these things, Yeshua went over the Sea of Galilee, which is of Tiberias.  I have been in the city of Tiberias.  In July, it is “Hot” very much so, but the Sea of Galilee is very refreshing, but watch out, there are a lot of fish that come by to nibble at your feet.  This is where the crowd comes to hear Yeshua, he goes to a nearby mountain and has the people to sit down.  The number was about 5000. Yeshua knew that the people were hungry, so, he turns to Philip and says; “Where shall we buy bread so that these may eat?”

Didn’t he know? Yes, of course, He was just waiting for Philip’s response.  Perhaps, He was waiting for an answer such as; “We can’t possibly buy so much bread, so…YOU feed them LORD!” but he didn’t say that.  It was Andrew who came with the boy who had 5 loaves of barley bread and 2 fishes.

We need to know that first, the boy must have come forward to offer his lunch.  Of course, the boy knew that 5 loaves of bread and 2 fishes would not be enough for the whole crowd…BUT…with a little bit of faith…ANYTHING is possible.  I mean, if Yeshua could heal the lame man, he could also feed this crowd. 

We have the offer, 5 pieces of bread and 2 fishes.  We have the blessing and thanks, Yeshua lifts the loaves and fishes, (probably found a basket to put them in) and then, the distribution.  There was enough for ALL.   With the faith of a little boy, the faith of a mustard seed, we see a “mountain” of pieces of bread and a whole bunch of fish.  The result, 12 baskets full were left over.  One wonders who got the baskets of bread and fish.  Probably the boy, to redistribute the blessing to his family and friends. 

We look at the numbers, “5” and “2” “5” is the number of grace, and “2” is the number of a covenant.  It takes “2” entities or parties to make a covenant.  Yeshua shows “grace” to the people, and makes a small covenant, “blessings to this crowd, for the faith of a small boy” When we add 5 + 2 we get the perfect number “7” which is the number of God. 

Yeshua, who is the “bread of Life” who has made his followers “fishers of men” has made a covenant in heaven, His life and blood for our salvation.  The Word of God is also the “Bread of Life” which comes from the Father for all of us to eat and digest.  Let us all go forth and be “fishers of men (and women) to reach and teach them the Words of the Master so that ALL might have eternal life through HIM who died to set us free.

Shabbat Shalom…………Rabbi Ben Avraham

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

:thumbsup:This is excellent! Chock full of truth! I appreciate it.:) 

@Jacob Ben AvrahamI have a question...You said,"the rest of the 603 mitzvothwere given to Moshe who relayed them unto the people, still, they ALL came from Adonai. " Could you elaborate a bit on this? Where are the 603 found?

If you go to "google search" and type in "a list of the 613 commandments" several links will pop up where you can get a list of them all.  They go from Genesis 1:28 "Be fruitful and multiply" all the way to "Now therefore, write you this song for me" Deut 31:19, talking about writing a copy of the whole Torah for oneself, today, since we have Bible bookstores, people really don't do that, but before, thousands of years ago, the only way to have a copy of the scriptures was to copy one or have it done for you by a scribe, which would be very costly. 

Today, professional scribes do that, they handwrite complete Torah scrolls, it takes about three years to do that and they are sold from between $25,000 and $70,000.  That is how scribes make their living.  I did one, but I had the pages copied at Office Depot and I glued them together on many sheets of bond paper to make my own scroll.  Took me about one year doing it on the weekends.  used 7 bottles of glue and recycled paper which I got from our high school

There is a good book titled "The Mitzvot" (The commandments and their rationale) by Abraham Chill   which explain the 613 commandments.  You might look for it on Amazon or an Ebay.   I had two copies, gave one away and kept the other

Edited by Jacob Ben Avraham
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

@Jacob Ben Avraham I appreciate you taking the time to share this helpful information with me. 

I ran across a poem online that I thought is probably yours by the name of "And Yeshua Wept." I had a couple of questions about it.

First off, when did you write this beautiful poem? It is unique and touching.

Secondly, I would love to see it posted in Worthy's Poetry Club called 'Songs of Praise.' I could do this for you. Do I have your permission?

Another option would be you joining our club and posting it yourself. I would love to have you there and am personally inviting you. :) I have written since my youth on and off. I have 9 original poems in there now. If you have the time I would be honored to hear what you think of them...

Lastly, How many poems have you written? Based on how much I like 'And Yeshua wept' I would certainly enjoy reading more of yours.

:thumbsup:You are a blessing here at Worthy. Thanks for sharing your insights with us in this thread every week.

Below is the link. Click in the circle to either visit or join the Poetry Club...

Shalom, turtletwo

Open Club  ·  10 members

Open Club  ·  10 members

I wrote the poem "and Yeshua wept" many, many moons ago, I believe it was my first poem, I am more a short story writer than a poet, but when I finish my ebook "God Tales" I will have three sections in it, "faith stories" "poetry" and "life experiences"  

I just joined the poetry club