Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

An 11 year old girl recently caught a Pacu...related to Piranhas in a lake in Oklahoma.   The fish was one pound and had human-like teeth!   The fish bit the girl's grandmother as she was removing the fish from the line.

Pacus can reach 50 pounds.  Both fish are native to South America.

The games warden said it was probably kept in an aquarium and got too big so someone released it in the lake.    The fish was destroyed as it is an invasive species and could devour native fish.  The warden said he had also caught a Pacu.  Sure hope no more are in that lake if someone goes swimming there! ?

As one who has an aquarium, I wonder how those people who dumped the fish managed to clean the tank?!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Just look the fish up online.. Ouch that fish has got to serious teeth.. I hope they are not aggressive..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Pacu are related to piranha. However they are vegetarians and get quite large. 

Funny story ...

Several years ago I went to a local zoo which had an aquarium with pacu in it. A kid was waving his hand back and forth in the water. The mother didnt care that he was doing it. So I said hey look mike these fish are related to piranha. That mom got her sons hand out of the water sooooo fast lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Pacu are related to piranha. However they are vegetarians and get quite large. 

Funny story ...

Several years ago I went to a local zoo which had an aquarium with pacu in it. A kid was waving his hand back and forth in the water. The mother didnt care that he was doing it. So I said hey look mike these fish are related to piranha. That mom got her sons hand out of the water sooooo fast lol.

Oh, that is hilarious!  You should put that in my Funny or Embarrassing Stories topic!

Whenever a child does things like knocking over the really expensive piece of artwork in the museum, or climbing up into one of those claw (toy) machines and getting trapped so the fire department has to come.....I always say why weren't the parents watching the child!!

11 hours ago, Adstar said:

Just look the fish up online.. Ouch that fish has got to serious teeth.. I hope they are not aggressive..

When I first read the story about the fish, it had an accompanying photo.....the teeth actually looked like someone had put dentures in the fish's mouth!

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

13 hours ago, Adstar said:

When I first read the story and saw the picture I really thought it was a joke.

17 hours ago, Cletus said:

There is a recipe online for grilled bar-b-que pacu ribs.  If anyone from the sooner state is interested.  I am kinda interested because i could make it up there in a day.  A little less actually.  50 lbs fish huh.    I got a new ugly stick for the big Opelousa Catfish we have here.  its supposed to be good to go for salt water from the bank...  heavy action rod. 

do they taste good? 

you would probably need a foot or so stainless steel leader on your hook to keep this thing with teeth from biting your line into.

3 hours ago, Cletus said:

Good to go on that as we have plenty of alligator gar or however you spell it around here.  I am not financially well off enough to spring for a bow and an air boat wit the huge prop in back.  so i do it the old fashion way... trick to hook a gar is let them play with it for a while and get it in their mouth or throat.  it can take several minutes so be ready to let out slack on line... then when you set the hook set it good and keep tension between pulling back over and over and reeling in line.  lots of people say gar is a trash fish, but if you cook it right away...  Mmmm mm...  good eating. 

we try and fish at least a month every year....   usually two weeks at  a time....    but always return the fish to the water.    I get eating fish from Red Lobster or Long John Silvers.....     so I'll have to take your word on tasting good.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, other one said:

we try and fish at least a month every year....   usually two weeks at  a time....    but always return the fish to the water.    I get eating fish from Red Lobster or Long John Silvers.....     so I'll have to take your word on tasting good.

When I was a child my dad always took us fishing down the riverbanks (Pittsburgh...3 rivers).   We always threw the fish back.  One time I remember my dad giving the catfish to a lady that was fishing for her supper.

My dad had about 3 favorite fishing spots.   The easiest one to get to, we just drove up and then walked a short distance down a little dirt road.  But the other two spots, my mom and I hated.  One included us having to walk over a narrow railroad trestle!!  We could see the water beneath our feet as the planks were several inches apart!  Also, thank God a train didn't come by as we crossed the trestle!  Talk about living dangerously! :rofl:?:emot-eyes:

But even worse than the trestle, was where we had to descend a steep river bank of trash!! :o  I was so afraid of cutting my foot on some can or something!   The trash would give a little as we descended...I think I sometimes heard a rat scurrying away!  Thankfully, it was just a short distance over the trash....